Re: "Are You Lonesome To-night?" --> Mystery Influence !

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:26 am

So, this topic slowly turns into another 1977 topic and i contributed to it. Do i feel guilty? No, because the song at hand is an essential one in the Presley canon and both versions taped do show him struggling with this song.
But back to the topic. The article the doc posted on this song is great. It almost defeats Careless Love on its own, based on one song. The detachment Garulnick shows in Careless Love is almost like... well... careless love. It seems where the writer fell in love with his subject, he obviously fell out of love somewhere before or during 1960. It shows. This article does the artist right. Thanks doc. Looking forward to the next episode of....... Mystery --> Solved.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:28 am

joshferrell wrote:
epf wrote:
joshferrell wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:I would say the "gay routine" version of the song probably stems from the awkwardness Elvis felt when having to sing a tender love song with Charlie standing next to him, holding a mike. They both quickly realized they could ease the awkwardness of the situation by turning the song into a comedy routine (and have some fun at the same time).

And Elvis also quickly realized how awful this offensive display would look on network TV so, between June 19 and 21, 1977, he got a stand to house the guitar mic instead of using his diminutive friend.

Luckily, we can forget about such things, and revel in the artistry of his peerless 1960 studio master.

Didn't they do the "gay routine" in Omaha?

Elvis told charlie to play it straight and charlie must not have heard him or something because he starts doing the gay routine and that's when Elvis' face turns red and he nudges Charlie with the guitar..Elvis looks embarrassed by it,,,like the Doc said the next filming Charlie was gone but of course Elvis messes up on the lyrics anyways and his face turns red and he looks embarrassed so I guess it really didn't matter..lol

Actually, i fail to see the humor in it, even though your description shows great insight. The fact that he messed up on the 2nd occasion is more of a tragedy to me than something uplifting or funny. It was deadly painful and he was quite aware of it.

yeah I see what you mean...it seems that he was distracted by the lady that yelled to him when he asked "I wonder if you're lonesome tonight" then he got tongue tied..also it seems that Elvis was always kind of playing around with the talking part anyways through out the year so maybe subconsciously (sp) he went into that mode after being distracted because he kind of "lost his train of thought" ..I think that maybe two nights before he was messing with the talking part because he was trying to gain to composure after being embarrassed,however if you notice he did kind of laugh it off both times so maybe he was trying to make it look like he was messing up on purpose when in fact he wasn't ..

Thank you for a great reply! Appreciated.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:31 am

epf wrote:So, this topic slowly turns into another 1977 topic and i contributed to it. Do i feel guilty? No, because the song at hand is an essential one in the Presley canon and both versions taped do show him struggling with this song.
But back to the topic. The article the doc posted on this song is great. It almost defeats Careless Love on its own, based on one song. The detachment Garulnick shows in Careless Love is almost like... well... careless love. It seems where the writer fell in love with his subject, he obviously fell out of love somewhere before or during 1960. It shows. This article does the artist right. Thanks doc. Looking forward to the next episode of....... Mystery --> Solved.

Thanks a lot epf.

Critic and author Daniel Wolff makes many valid points regarding the shortcomings of Peter Guralnick's Careless Love, but the second volume of the landmark Presley biography is still essential. It is serendipitous that "Are You Lonesome To-night?" was the vehicle Wolff chose to make his case.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Great connection to Blue Barron. The influence is obvious.

Elvis' 1960 master is a tremendous reading. The 1977 renditions are abysmal -- but of course there will be a handful of fans that assert "you had to be there" and that they still play the EIC version for enjoyment. I'll stick with the 1960 highlight.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks for taking the time to do these threads Doc.

You along with many FECC members who take the time to do Elvis
research like this, are the Elvis fans to take notice of.
Thus a good reason to make threads like this a Sticky for a short period.

Thank you again for making and taking the time in a productive
and positive fashion.

With respect to "Are You Lonesome To-night?"

Up until this point, I always believed it was Al Jolson version which Elvis based
his version on. I thought this, because it was the Al Jolson's version which
was mention and played in the 70's radio Elvis Bio by "Watermark Inc"
"The Elvis Presley Story",
Have a listen, Wink mentions and plays part of Al Jolsons version
6:40 secs into this 6th volume of this series.

http://www.archive.org/download/TheEpSt ... k3_vbr.mp3

Now at the same time, over the years, from what I read and heard, we as fans
found out it was Colonel Parker who suggested Elvis record
"Are You Lonesome To-night?"
I thought then and did up until this point, because of Parkers Age, it was Parker
who would have probably heard the Jolson version, liked it, had a good memory of
it and this is why Parker may have suggested Elvis to record the song in the first place.
I, from that point on never thought Elvis would have heard Jolson's version or any version
for that matter, prior to Parker suggesting the song to Elvis back in the 1960's..

However, you put a whole new light into the situation for me, as David did as well by default,
since your suggesting he gave you the idea..

If a few are suggesting the info was already out there. Nice to know, then they should have come
forward first with the info, but yet its threads like this, and members like David and so many
others like yourself, who help make FECC the message board a worth while read.

Keep up the great work !

PEP 8)

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:52 pm

Wasn't the song Mrs. Parkers favorite song and that is why the colonel suggested it?

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:56 pm

ekenee wrote:Wasn't the song Mrs. Parkers favorite song and that is why the colonel suggested it?

There ya go ekenee, thanks for bringing that up, as I heard or rather read this as well.
PEP 8)

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:33 pm

ekenee wrote:Wasn't the song Mrs. Parkers favorite song and that is why the colonel suggested it?

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65197&start=50#p970284

Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:05 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65197&start=50#p970284

Bare in mind that the mere suggestion to record a specific song, is a completely different

issue as to what was the influence on how he was going to create a new version for release.

In other words, if Mrs Parker's favorite version was by Al Jolson, but Elvis was familiar with the song

from other sources, then again that is classic Elvis.

He would often like a song, but not particularly like what someone else did with the song.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:49 am

ekenee wrote:In other words, if Mrs Parker's favorite version was by Al Jolson ...

Once again: Marie Parker liked the 1959 MGM single by Jaye P. Morgan:

The comment linked above appears on page 3 of this topic, which you also missed.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:In other words, if Mrs Parker's favorite version was by Al Jolson ...

Once again: Marie Parker liked the 1959 MGM single by Jaye P. Morgan:

The comment linked above appears on page 3 of this topic, which you also missed.

Yes, I missed that, but no big deal, that was not a main point here, only a footnote.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:08 am

Great topic, I've enjoyed it!

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:33 am

James27 wrote:Great topic, I've enjoyed it!

Thanks, man!

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
James27 wrote:Great topic, I've enjoyed it!

Thanks, man!

Plus whatever! Thank you.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:So, this topic slowly turns into another 1977 topic and i contributed to it. Do i feel guilty? No, because the song at hand is an essential one in the Presley canon and both versions taped do show him struggling with this song.

Thanks a lot epf.

Critic and author Daniel Wolff makes many valid points regarding the shortcomings of Peter Guralnick's Careless Love, but the second volume of the landmark Presley biography is still essential. It is serendipitous that "Are You Lonesome To-night?" was the vehicle Wolff chose to make his case.

You are very welcome, doc. I know the second volume of Guralnick's biography on Elvis is still essential and by far the best we have regarding this period his life. I still would put up The Final Years by Hopkins and If I Can Dream up there to complete the picture and to a certain extent use it as an antidote.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:18 am

epf wrote:You are very welcome, doc. I know the second volume of Guralnick's biography on Elvis is still essential and by far the best we have regarding this period his life. I still would put up The Final Years by Hopkins and If I Can Dream up there to complete the picture and to a certain extent use it as an antidote.

Thanks! I totally agree with your comments here, too.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:46 am

I actually have that 78 by Blue Baron...I've only played it once. It doesn't really hold a candle to Elvis' version, but it's nice to have.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:40 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh3pR5SmeEo

It is probably an old folksong. :smt006

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:52 pm

svallen wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh3pR5SmeEo

Now thats an interesting performance!

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:22 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:I actually have that 78 by Blue Baron...I've only played it once. It doesn't really hold a candle to Elvis' version, but it's nice to have.

Are you a collector of 78s? If so, do you have Blue Barron and His Orchestra doing "Beyond The Reef"? It would be another MGM single from 1950, and perhaps another influence on our guy.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:40 pm

Sorry, Doc. I don't really collect 78s. I have about 100 or so. Here is a better scan of the Blue Barron 78 for "Are You Lonesome Tonight"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:55 pm

svallen wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh3pR5SmeEo

the original version was recorded on 9 may 1927 by Charles Hart (Harmony 431 H) and was followed by at least 20 more recordings in the same year.
The version by The Carter Family is recorded in the 30's.

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:48 am

Thank you both for the label scans, and for your terrific input on this topic.

Even Ernst was unfamiliar with the influential 1950 MGM recording by Blue Barron and his Orchestra.