Re: "Elvis On Tour" -> Vincent Canby's (Sour) Review

Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:24 pm

likethebike wrote:Claims of objectivity are out of place here. The practice of artistic critique is inherently subjective.

Canby does miss the boat when he steers past Elvis' performance. He is right on the money though when he mentions that we don't get a whole lot of an interesting person back stage. This is not because Elvis was uninteresting. It's because he was a guarded person outside of his music and in a musical documentary, with his participation, you were only going to get so much access to the real man. This wasn't Madonna inviting us into her bedroom. This was a guy who liked the fact that we only knew so much.

If Elvis didn't fit the 2001 theme, who did?

NY TImes always did have a beef with Elvis and rock n' roll. It's only been the last decade and a half or so that they've gotten any good ink. Wasn't the Times one of the big Goldman advocates?

I believe Goldman hammered away at the 68 comeback special! LTB, you make several good points.

Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:19 am

Almost like a different guy wrote it.

Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:28 am

Kris P wrote:Here is Canby's more favorable review of 'That's the Way It Is' :

Most interesting review, thanks for posting.

No hint of envy or jealousy of Elvis there. So, I wonder what happened to Canby to make him so jealous of Elvis just two years later! :? :roll:

Both are objective reviews. The fact that Canby didn't especially like On Tour is again no way indicative of any jealousy on his part. If, as some suggest, he was jealous of Elvis in '72, he would have felt the same way in '70, and it would have come out in his assessment of TTWII.

likethebike wrote: If Elvis didn't fit the 2001 theme, who did?

2001 (Also Sprach Zarathustra) was not used in On Tour - Canby's error. And it was used to good effect by several other artists as their opening fanfare.

I've always wondered if Elvis knew of the connection to Nietzsche, and his whole "God is dead" philosophy as described in the book ... somewhat ironic, since the theme certainly has a God-like feel to it.

Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:47 pm

The 2001 theme is used Elvis on Tour you just don't hear it very well because the cameras and the mikes are backstage with Elvis when it's playing but you can hear it.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:08 am

likethebike wrote:The 2001 theme is used Elvis on Tour you just don't hear it very well because the cameras and the mikes are backstage with Elvis when it's playing but you can hear it.

No, Bike, listen to/watch it again. That's not the 2001 theme.

Kris P wrote: I think Scott may be referring to the fact that an alternate (but very similar) instrument ('2001 Alternate') was recorded in Hollywood (October 20, 1972) and used in the final cut due to clearance problems with 2001.

That's right. The new arrangement from Guercio was used because the actual 2001 theme could not be used in the flick.