Hot Shots and Cool Clips - Volume 3 -> Misdated Footage!

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:42 am

My review of JAT's latest DVD set, Hot Shots and Cool Clips - Volume 3, includes several misdated pieces of film.

For your delight, the details are below -- all timings are approximate.

If anyone can post screen grabs, that would be cool. Joe, feel free to correct the errors if you reissue Volume 3.

From the DVD:

"MAY 6, 1956"
"Liberace attends Elvis' closing show in Las Vegas. Elvis returns the favor by attending Liberace's opening show the following day, then goes backstage and meets with Liberace and his brother George."

The first minute is Elvis on stage at the New Frontier from April-May 1956. The next minute is Liberace and his brother George visiting Elvis backstage at the New Frontier, and jamming on "Blue Suede Shoes." An April 1956 calendar can be plainly seen behind Liberace, and it is Scotty Moore's Gibson L5 that the piano player grabs in order to join in on the jamming. The final minute is Elvis visiting Liberace during Presley's November 1956 vacation in Las Vegas -- his hair is longer and darker, too.

"MARCH 8, 1961"
"Elvis travelled to Nashville to address the Tennessee State legislature and while he was there he presented checks to various charities."

He did? The footage here is December 17, 1963. Elvis is heavier, his hair is longer, and he is wearing different clothing, including a very distinctive winter coat. At the end of the ceremony, he turns and shakes hands with outgoing Memphis mayor Claude Armour -- NOT Tennessee governor Buford Ellington -- and says a few words to newly-elected mayor William B. Ingram. As he is about to leave he poses before a huge plaque made in his honor, emblazoned with the 50 charities he has been donating to for the past three years.

"AUGUST 31, 1962"
"While at the MGM film lot, Elvis is fitted for his wardrobe for his forthcoming film he was about to make, 'It Happened At The World's Fair.' After fitting is completed, a staged contract signing is done ... with Elvis, his father Vernon, director Norman Taurog and MGM Producer Ted Richmond in attendance."

This footage is likely from the end of filming for the movie, and has nothing to do with an MGM contract. It depicts Elvis signing about $50,000 worth of checks for his annual list of Memphis charities. One can read the words National Bank of Commerce on the forms, which was Elvis' bank in Memphis. The date of this ceremony may be November 8, 1962.

Also note that the man from the "1961" footage cited above, helping Elvis hand out charity checks in December 1963, is also seen here with the Presleys and Taurog. He is then-Memphis mayor Henry Loeb's executive assistant (perhaps vice-mayor), Mark King. Loeb could not attend the Los Angeles presentation, and sent King in his place.

---

If there is any interest, I will revisit to the previous Hot Shots and Cool Clips DVDs.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Hot Shots and Cool Clips - Volume 3 -> Misdated Footage!

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:06 pm

Doc,

Always interesting to get exact dates for footage so i for one would be grateful if you could revisit the other two DVD's

Cheers

Kelvin

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:56 pm

Very interesting, Doc. Thanks for posting.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Thanks for your replies. From the tepid response, it seems few really care.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:34 pm

Maybe People got sick and didn't buy it?

Please review the other two, it's nice to have the correct dates like Kelvin said.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:35 am

Perhaps you should email this post to JAT. He probably would welcome any info you could offer.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:03 am

Mike Eder wrote:Perhaps you should email this post to JAT. He probably would welcome any info you could offer.

Oh, no worries. Joe is a visitor to this site, from time to time.

Here are a few screen grabs ->

Elvis shakes hands with outgoing Memphis mayor Claude Armour (Dec 17, 1963)

Elvis, Brit-influenced winter coat on, poses in front of the "50 Memphis charities" plaque (Dec 17, 1963)

Elvis signs National Bank of Commerce charity checks (circa Nov '62)
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Also note that the man from the "1961" footage cited above, helping Elvis hand out charity checks in the winter of 1964, is also seen here with the Presleys and Taurog. He may be affiliated with the Memphis bank -- perhaps he is Presley's accountant.

If anyone recognizes him, please post that information here. It has been claimed this man is then-Memphis mayor Henry Loeb, but that is incorrect.[/color]

Thanks for the info, Doc. I was just busy taking those screen grabs you wanted, but you were a little faster. I also noticed those wrong dates on the dvd.

Here is a photo of that "accountant", in case somebody recognises him.

Also, the date given for this Houston press conference is wrong, isn´t it? This was held at the airport right after his arrival in Houston on February 25th.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:38 am

Great -- thanks. I didn't mention the 1970 press conference, as the date was close enough. Another example, if you look at Volume 3's opening menu screens, several typos are apparent.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:54 am

That´s right. But to make that up, there is a great photo from the second Vegas season.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:02 am

The fool wrote:That´s right. But to make that up, there is a great photo from the second Vegas season.

Do you mean the one that is reverse-image?

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:03 am

Great info! Thanks, doc. More of these, please!

O.S.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Do you mean the one that is reverse-image?

Yep. I don´t remember seeing that one before.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:15 am

One imagines JAT has all kinds of rare Elvis items.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:07 am

Hey Doc,

Do you know if this picture with the nun was taken at the same event when Elvis wore the "Brit-influenced winter coat on, poses in front of the "50 Memphis charities" plaque (circa Dec '64)"

Also any idea when this picture was taken:

The source for the pictures is from Elvis By the Presleys DVD.

BTW, Thanks to whoever did the new layout for the message board. It's really awesome and seems much easier to use.

DJL

Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:12 am

DJL wrote:Do you know if this picture with the nun was taken at the same event when Elvis wore the "Brit-influenced winter coat on, poses in front of the "50 Memphis charities" plaque (Dec 17, 1963)"

Yes it was.

DJL wrote:Also any idea when this picture was taken:

The source for the pictures is from Elvis By the Presleys DVD.

This one is a fake.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:17 am

DJL wrote:...Also any idea when this picture was taken:

It's on the set of Change of Habit.

Don't you recognise Mary Tyler Moore & the other two ?

Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:34 am

ColinB wrote:It's on the set of Change of Habit.

It must have been taken before they went into makeup ...

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:30 pm

Thanks Doc for the clarification on the dates. Is there a reason why this footage from December 1964 was filmed in the first place? Was it for a news program?

DJL

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:40 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks for your replies. From the tepid response, it seems few really care.

"Thank you for the mediocre applause ladiesandgentlemen..."

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: For your delight, the details are below

Cool stuf John - I just wonder why Joe did not to his homework - he has access to the facts....right ?

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:46 pm

ColinB wrote:
DJL wrote:...Also any idea when this picture was taken:

It's on the set of Change of Habit.

Maybe at Cilla's graduation from Immaculate Conception?

Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:04 pm

thanks for the info doc very informative .

Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:38 am

DJL wrote:Thanks Doc for the clarification on the dates. Is there a reason why this footage from December 1964 was filmed in the first place? Was it for a news program?

That would be my guess -- TV news or a newsreel.

E-Cat wrote:Cool stuf John - I just wonder why Joe did not to his homework - he has access to the facts....right ?

Access is one thing, the human being is another.

elvisjock wrote:Maybe at Cilla's graduation from Immaculate Conception?

Nah, Elvis did not attend, but he did pick her up afterwards.

Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:44 am

I found this trailer on Image - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g-pSA78flU - kinda disappointing material if you ask me - I've seen better footage of Bob Dylan in those same years! (with original sound) :?