Re: Jimi Hendrix's 1957 Notebook Drawing of Elvis

Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Brilliant post, thanks Doc. I'm actually a super-fan of Jimi's. To me, Elvis' and Jimi's music are what lasts more than anything after more than half a century of rock 'n' roll.

Jimi also mentioned Elvis' name during a Paris '68 concert, when they go into a short rock 'n' roll jam during which some fans cheer. The concert has been released subsequently on semi-official releases but had first been released as part of Stages (4 live shows 1967-1970). It has recently been re-relased by Experience Hendrix.

From the press release:

Originally released as part of the 1991 4CD box set Stages, The Jimi Hendrix Experience's L'Olympia Theatre performance makes it's return engagement to CD for the first time in more than 15 years. Like all previous recordings in the Dagger Records library, Live In Paris & Ottawa 1968 is once again highlighted by posthumous studio engineering and mastering by our dynamic technical team of Eddie Kramer and George Marino.

The Experience's Paris performance features nine fiery recordings, including two rousing Blues classics "Killing Floor" and "Catfish Blues;" six unforgettable live performances featuring some of Jimi Hendrix's most celebrated self-penned compositions including "Foxey Lady," "Red House," "The Wind Cries Mary," "Fire," "Little Wing" and the ageless "Purple Haze;" plus "Drivin' South," a composition Hendrix first recorded and performed in 1965 while serving as one of R&B/Soul musician, Curtis Knight's young guitarists.

Jimi also did a unique version of Hound Dog on the BBC Sessions cd, along with wolf calls from bandmates and hangers-on.

There's a nice Jimi moment involving watching King Creole:

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/jimi_hendrix.shtml

Jim Morrison was an Elvis fan, I think it was in the booklet to the Artist of The Century compilation, he said "Elvis is the best ever, the most original. He started the ball rolling for us all."
Last edited by James27 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:12 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:This is an old story and has been posted many times.

Brian :roll:

And clearly it isn't as interesting as the upcoming duets album and current DVD release of "Viva Las Vegas." What is so great about discussing a rock legend's admiration for Elvis?

You're looking at it out of context, it originated from a thread and post for I page I did awhile back on the Seattle venue
http://scottymoore.net/seattle57.html

Its cool to see at times the admiration that rock stars had for Elvis and to note the possible inspiration that drove them to their own heights. It helps put things in perspective and gives credibility to being a fan of music from genarations other than your own. Elvis was old news and considered uncool to a lot of the people from the generation that grew up listening to Jimi and his peers.

Whooosh!

Do you think I really care about the Viva Las Vegas-TV Special DVD or the Duets on any level?

Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:14 am

midnightx wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:
midnightx wrote:

And clearly it isn't as interesting as the upcoming duets album and current DVD release of "Viva Las Vegas." What is so great about discussing a rock legend's admiration for Elvis?

You're looking at it out of context, it originated from a thread and post for I page I did awhile back on the Seattle venue
http://scottymoore.net/seattle57.html

Its cool to see at times the admiration that rock stars had for Elvis and to note the possible inspiration that drove them to their own heights. It helps put things in perspective and gives credibility to being a fan of music from genarations other than your own. Elvis was old news and considered uncool to a lot of the people from the generation that grew up listening to Jimi and his peers.

Whooosh!

Do you think I really care about the Viva Las Vegas-TV Special DVD or the Duets on any level?

I have no real idea of the level of any of your interests. I was answering the question "What is so great about discussing a rock legend's admiration for Elvis?"

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:05 am

I'm the one who resurrected this thread. Im sorry if its caused a stir. I just saw a thread that combined my two favourite artists and wanted to add something to it. It was one that I could contribute to. Didnt know there was any time limit on it. In reply to James27 though, yes i love the the fun Hound dog on the radio one/bbc sessions. Didnt know about the story of Jimi watching King creole though. Thanks for that!

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:18 am

Wilko wrote:I'm the one who resurrected this thread. Im sorry if its caused a stir. I just saw a thread that combined my two favourite artists and wanted to add something to it. It was one that I could contribute to. Didnt know there was any time limit on it. In reply to James27 though, yes i love the the fun Hound dog on the radio one/bbc sessions. Didnt know about the story of Jimi watching King creole though. Thanks for that!

It is a very cool thread. It is a nice change of pace to see a topic focusing on these two great artists versus another debate as to the artistic merits of Elvis' 1976 concerts.

If anything, Jimi's 1970 version of Johnny B Goode from Berkley is more reminiscent of Elvis' 1969 stage versions than of Chuck Berry's classic single. Although it is doubtful Hendrix was aware of Elvis' arrangement, both artists tore through that rocker with an explosive approach.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:17 am

Jimi's Johnny b goode is my all time favorite version. Too bad Marty Lacker said that Elvis wasnt a Jimi fan!

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:00 am

Given a chance, Elvis would have liked the quieter stuff -- the known hits were anything but mellow.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:51 am

I'll never forget getting on my school bus, age 16, headed to another day in school. All right with the world, about 7:00 am in the morning. Up in the morning, going to school. Somebody had posted a sign in the local record store window saying Jimi Hendrex had died.
****, another adult we all trusted and loved was dead. Jimi Hendrex, as good a rock and roller as any who has ever lived. I knew it- we all knew it. The only thing I can imagine comparing it to would have been being a young rock and roll fan in the late 50's and hearing Buddy Holly had died.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:54 pm

I'll never forget getting on my school bus, age 16, headed to another day in school. All right with the world, about 7:00 am in the morning. Up in the morning, going to school. Somebody had posted a sign in the local record store window saying Jimi Hendrex had died.
****, another adult we all trusted and loved was dead. Jimi Hendrex, as good a rock and roller as any who has ever lived. I knew it- we all knew it. The only thing I can imagine comparing it to would have been being a young rock and roll fan in the late 50's and hearing Buddy Holly had died.

That's a nice memory, thanks.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Given a chance, Elvis would have liked the quieter stuff -- the known hits were anything but mellow.

One 'quieter' initial track played on FM radio in 1967 was "The Wind Cries Mary" - but it is doubtful Elvis would have had any real exposure to the material. One wonders what EP would have thought of "1983 A Merman I Should Turn To Be," "May Be This Be Love," "Little Wing" or even the extended blues/psychedelic jam of "Voodoo Chile" featuring Steve Winwood from the Electric Ladyland LP.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:58 pm

Or Machine Gun... from the Band of Gypsys' New Years Eve appearance at Fillmore East, 31-12-69/01-01-1970 ? :shock:

That still as to be one of my favorite Hendrix solos of all-time. If you want to hear what WAR sounds like, this is it.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:11 am

James27 wrote:Or Machine Gun... from the Band of Gypsys' New Years Eve appearance at Fillmore East, 31-12-69/01-01-1970 ? :shock:

That still as to be one of my favorite Hendrix solos of all-time. If you want to hear what WAR sounds like, this is it.

The version from 1/1/70 [1st show] released on the "Band of Gypsys" album is one of Hendrix's supreme achievements as an artist. His tone, emotion and mastery of his instrument on that track has never been rivaled. However, it is hard to imagine Elvis finding the appeal.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:39 am

James27 wrote:Brilliant post, thanks Doc.

This is what I do!

Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:54 pm

Any of you Hendix fans got a spare million dollars? Click on this link to see a Video -----> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-CaVVOWuJD0

Hendrix.jpg

Description
Jimi Hendrix' First Burnt Guitar
Jimi Hendrix the FAB Guitar

Jimi Hendrix came to England in 1966 after being discovered by Chas Chandler at the cafe Wha in New York. With him that night was the young press oficer, Tony Garland. While Chas stayed in New York doing deals Tony returned to England and in September 1966 met Jimi and Chas at Heathrow and persuaded the immigration officials to let this young 'songwriter' in to collect some royalties. After helping audition the band that became the Jimi Hendrix experience Tony Garland became general office manager for the Anim group. Hendrix played the Finsbury Astoria on the Walker brothers tour on 31st March 1967 and he and Chas decided that on that opening night of the tour Jimi should do something spectacular with his act. Tony went and bought some lighter fluid and the the rest is history. Jimi was reprimanded and then packaged off to hospital Tony and Chas went to Legends and celebrated. The guitar came back to the office and then when the management changed their offices it ended up at Noel Redding's house, after that Tony took it and other office items to his own flat and then to his parents and ultimately his Nephew's house where it remained until 2007.

The guitar comes with a signed and witnessed letter from Tony Garland, a DvD of the Fame Bureau interview with him and guitar experts and journalists from Guitar and Bass magazine, the ceremonial re-stringing of the guitar and photos of Tony and Jimi together in London.

Serial No 109657

The full 'Guitar and Bass Magazine' article on this guitar is out on June 20th 2008.

Estimate GPB250,000-500,000 USD500,000-1,000,000

http://store.famebureau.com/fiasst.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:15 pm

If I had the money, I would have bought it! Would rather have the White Woodstock strat though ( I have a reissue of it at least) Seriously,if I had the money, my flat would be a Hard rock cafe of Elvis and Jimi!

Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:27 pm

you might enjoy this then

http://www.pbase.com/jroy/woodstockstrat

Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:52 pm

Wow! Mines just a Japanese Fender reissue.Those are modelled on the actual thing :shock: :shock:
Ive held the Gibson Flying V he played in the Ilse of Wight. That floated my boat :D

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:11 pm

midnightx wrote:

A legend to some - rubbish to others. Hendrix doesn't hold a candle to such players as Chet Atkins, James Burton, Glen Campbell and many, many others.

Brian

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:28 pm

I could tell that you were not a fan when I first replied to this topic. That's all good though. Each to their own. I see your favourites are more on the country side of things. They are great pickers. Jimi was more on the experimental side of things. Elvis wasnt a big fan either by all accounts!

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:33 pm

Wilko wrote:Wow! Mines just a Japanese Fender reissue.Those are modelled on the actual thing :shock: :shock:
Ive held the Gibson Flying V he played in the Ilse of Wight. That floated my boat :D

this one?
http://www.pbase.com/jroy/image/48079729

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:35 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:
midnightx wrote:

A legend to some - rubbish to others. Hendrix doesn't hold a candle to such players as Chet Atkins, James Burton, Glen Campbell and many, many others.

Brian

Yeah, I don't know about that.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:40 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
Wilko wrote:Wow! Mines just a Japanese Fender reissue.Those are modelled on the actual thing :shock: :shock:

this one?

Thats the very one! Very lucky to have my picture taken with it too. What a beauty!

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:46 pm

Wilko wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:

this one?

Thats the very one! Very lucky to have my picture taken with it too. What a beauty!

The vault there is an interesting place and pretty cool that you can actually handle the instruments. I especially liked Duane's 54 strat and amazed at how very much like mine it looked and felt and to find that they were only 3 digits apart in the serial number.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:55 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:A legend to some - rubbish to others. Hendrix doesn't hold a candle to such players as Chet Atkins, James Burton, Glen Campbell and many, many others.

Brian

James Burton and Glen Campbell would be the first to admit they aren't in the same league as Hendrix.

How is the weather in Fantasy Land today?

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:03 pm

midnightx wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:A legend to some - rubbish to others. Hendrix doesn't hold a candle to such players as Chet Atkins, James Burton, Glen Campbell and many, many others.

Brian

James Burton and Glen Campbell would be the first to admit they aren't in the same league as Hendrix.

How is the weather in Fantasy Land today?

Don't know - have a look around. Burton and Campbell are certainly not in the same league - they are light years ahead. You don't have to rape a guitar to be good.

Brian