Re: Jimi Hendrix's 1957 Notebook Drawing of Elvis

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:52 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:A legend to some - rubbish to others. Hendrix doesn't hold a candle to such players as Chet Atkins, James Burton, Glen Campbell and many, many others.

Brian

James Burton and Glen Campbell would be the first to admit they aren't in the same league as Hendrix.

How is the weather in Fantasy Land today?

Don't know - have a look around. Burton and Campbell are certainly not in the same league - they are light years ahead. You don't have to rape a guitar to be good.

Brian

Clearly you have not heard much Hendrix - or have much understanding of how the instrument is played. Glen Campbell..... :smt003

Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:35 am

Hendrix played a mean flamenco guitar too. Check out the Woodstock improv thing, ending with Villanova Junction, it's just beautiful.

He was a genius, perhaps the only real musical genius who came up during the entire classic rock era which started in the mid 60s.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:47 am

Amen to that! He was from a purely blues background, yet if you listen to his playing, you hear can hear blues,rock,jazz,pop, even flamenco. Also the term 'Heavy Metal' was first used for Hendrix. His music, according to Chas Chandler, was described by a journalist as 'Heavy metal falling through the sky'

Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:51 am

Brian Quinn wrote:Burton and Campbell are certainly not in the same league - they are light years ahead. You don't have to rape a guitar to be good.

Oh, dear me.

James and Glen are well-known for their tremendous studio contributions and superb, craftsmen-like playing -- and Campbell went even further, to become a superstar in his own right.

But neither one would argue that Jimi Hendrix took electric guitar playing and amplification to a whole new level when he exploded on the pop scene in 1967. Hendrix pulled from the blues, but utilized verve, showmanship, outlandish confidence, bold sexuality and rock power like no one else -- he made every other contemporary gunslinger rethink their role.

THAT's an influence no petty description such as yours can overcome.

And, if you bother to reflect, you'll realize it's not too far from what our hero accomplished in the year 1956.

The Wikipedia entry is a good primer -- check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix

Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:20 am

I don't know much about guitars or guitar players, but Jimi Hendrix has always struck me as a genius.

It's really gratifying to know he was yet another leading musical talent that took inspiration from Elvis. I'm pleased to see a vast collection of quotations from key figures on Elvis' wikipedia entry, but there's nothing by Hendrix. Perhaps this drawing will have an affect or two of its own, eventually.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:23 am

Well, Jimi clearly loved Elvis very, very much.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:31 am

Cryogenic wrote:I don't know much about guitars or guitar players, but Jimi Hendrix has always struck me as a genius.

And his genius went beyond his supreme guitar chops - he was a very gifted writer and producer. One of the greatest talents in contemporary music history.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:03 am

I donĀ“t know if this has been mentioned here before, but I found this on the Heritage Auction Galleries. In April 2007, this sold for $5.377,50.

Jimi Hendrix Owned and Used Harmonica. What did Jimi Hendrix and Elvis Presley have in common, besides being musical legends who died too young? This harmonica - a Hohner 64 Chromonica Professional Model, owned and used by Hendrix. The harmonica was given to Elvis by a source close to Jimi after Hendrix's 1970 death, and it was part of Elvis' estate for many years until Vernon Presley gave it to a friend of the family following his son's 1977 death. The harmonica is in Very Fine condition with mild to moderate tarnishing and wear, and with two cracks to the wood block. Also included is the original felt-lined wooden case. In Very Fine condition with some surface wear. A fantastic item, with most a desirable connection to two musical icons! Accompanied by a notarized letter of authenticity.From the Robert Johnson Memorabilia Collection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.