Jimi Hendrix's 1957 Notebook Drawing of Elvis

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, drjohncarpenter, Site Mechanic

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Jimi Hendrix's 1957 Notebook Drawing of Elvis

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Inspired by James V. Roy's posting of 14 year-old Jimi Hendrix's notebook drawing of Elvis in his Seattle 1957 topic in the Picture Section, I decided to repost it here for further examination.

The claim is a teen-aged Jimi noted all the titles he saw after the September 1 Seattle Elvis show he attended ->

Looking closely, here's what Jimi jotted on the paper (clockwise, from top):

Honey Don't - actually Carl Perkins!
Hound Dog
I Need Your Lovin' Too Much (sic)
Love Me Tender
My Baby Left Me
Don't Be Cruel
Rip It Up
Pariliyzed (sic)
Heart Break (sic)
I Want Your Love
Love Me Tender
My Baby Left Me
Peace In The Vally (sic)
Don't Be Cruel
Blue Suede Shoes
Heart Break Hotel (sic)
Hound Dog
Too Much
Love Me Tender
Don't Be Cruel
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
Pariliyzed (sic)
Blue Suede Shoes
I'm Playing For Keeps (sic)

---

Well, maybe it's not such an accurate listing (see Myrna Crafoot's diary JPG), but it does prove Jimi LOVED Elvis Presley! And it appears he really liked "Don't Be Cruel" and "Love Me Tender," as each gets three entries!

Jimi would grow up to play a mean guitar and blow minds in about ten years time.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

That's awesome. Thanks for posting that Doc and James V. Roy. I'd heard about the drawing before but never saw it. Jimi, like many African Americans of his generation, was indeed an Elvis fan and later included Elvis' version of "Hound Dog" in his live shows. The enthusiasm that makes you draw something like that shows that great musicians are usually great music fans first. Jimi's use of this song and Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" among others shows how steep the roots of the late '60s rock creative explosion were in the birth of rock and roll.

Ironically some of the early press on Jimi called him the "Black Elvis".

If that set list is accurate, it was a terrific show.

Reportedly Merilee Rush who did "Angel of the Morning" was at the same show. Was the Beach Boys' live exposure to Elvis on the same tour? Some reports have this as Elvis' greatest tour.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Thanks Bike. The most accurate set list is on the Seattle topic in the Picture Section. Jimi goes a little wild with the titles -- note the Carl Perkins SUN tune in there. Of course, that was Hendrix!

I also like how Jimi depicts Elvis with his brown-blond hair color, even though at the Seattle show it is black.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Fantastic stuff! Anyone familiar with Jimi's notes and drawings will love seeing the creativity of a young Hendrix.

Bodie
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Bodie »

I recently saw 'Prince' in concert and his show was awesome.

He reminded me of a 'little' Jimi Hendrix.

At one of the aftershow parties Prince gave , i read that he performed 'All Shook Up'.

epf

Post by epf »

Great stuff! Thanks, doc!

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

A friend said she was Prince perform "Jailhouse Rock" on one occasion. What did Dave Marsh say about Prince? Something like you can hear him get on the phone to Elvis and Jimi and James Brown.

Melanie1

Post by Melanie1 »

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Another Fantastic piece of Elvis History. Thanks for Posting.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by JamesVRoy »

I'm not certain but I don't think the song titles on the drawing were meant as a set list, maybe just some of the songs he liked. I think the set list he wrote is another document and they're both on display at the RRHOF. The drawing supposedly was made several months after the show.

Interesting also is he'd later meet Billy Cox in the Army, they'd play together in Nashville (long before Band of Gypsies) and then Billy became good freinds with Scotty.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

JamesVRoy wrote:I'm not certain but I don't think the song titles on the drawing were meant as a set list, maybe just some of the songs he liked. I think the set list he wrote is another document ...
If you can get a JPG of that, it would be great to compare with Myrna Crafoot's diary entries for the same evening!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

I've got the curator or directors email address at home somewhere. I'll shoot him an email and see if he has one or at least can tell me what's listed on it.

Johnny 99

Post by Johnny 99 »

Excellent stuff! Thanks to Doc and to James for bringing this to our attention. I personally wasn't fully aware of Jimi's admiration for Elvis - this provides a fascinating candid glimpse into the mind of a young man admiring one of his heroes, a status to which Jimi himself would of course soon become familiar.

''I'm a good guy, basically'' - Tony Soprano

''if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” - Elvis Presley (1956)

stupot
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by stupot »

Made me think how great it would have been to see Elvis and Jimi Hendrix jammin togeather in a 68 Special type set up. Include Jim Morrison and they would have made an awsome combo of musical genius.

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

That's very interesting!

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

I heard back from Howard Kramer at the RRHOF, the drawing isn't there anymore. It was returned to Experience Hendrix, the stuff run by Jimi's stepsister. I wrote to them to see what details they have about his notes, not sure I'll hear back.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

JamesVRoy wrote:I heard back from Howard Kramer at the RRHOF, the drawing isn't there anymore. It was returned to Experience Hendrix, the stuff run by Jimi's stepsister. I wrote to them to see what details they have about his notes, not sure I'll hear back.
Thanks so much James. It would be cool if you do hear back. Let us know!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Best post of the year imo.

Wilko
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Jimi Hendrix's 1957 Notebook Drawing of Elvis

Post by Wilko »

Really great post! Jimi is my other musical passion and its great to see that he loved Elvis too.
I dont know if these have been posted before but there are few covers Jimi did of Elvis/Elvis related songs

This one was recorded in January 1969 in the studio. Its just an informal jam of Blue Suede shoes but Given Jimi's intoduction 'If your looking for trouble,you came to the right place' and Heartbreak hotel, I think its safe to say that Jimi probably watched the '68 special about a month before!

and heres jimi playing acoutic in his bedroom on a very bluesy hound dog sometime around jan/feb of '69

MB280E
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by MB280E »

You can read about Jimi experiencing Elvis in concert in 1957 in the book Electric Gypsy. I think he went to see the show with his bigger brother who was a fan. According to Jimi, Elvis was brought to the stage in a big Cadillac. According to the book, Jimi´s favourite song was Love Me Tender.

Great topic indeed!

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´98 W140 S320 (my new baby)
´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

Brian Quinn

Post by Brian Quinn »

This is an old story and has been posted many times.

Brian :roll:

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Brian, this topic was brought up again by a new member -- check the date of the Original post :wink:

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Brian Quinn

Post by Brian Quinn »

Little Darlin wrote:Brian, this topic was brought up again by a new member -- check the date of the Original post :wink:
Little Darlin',

Didn't see the original date. Thanks for pointing this out.

Brian :)

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Brian Quinn wrote:This is an old story and has been posted many times.

And clearly it isn't as interesting as the upcoming duets album and current DVD release of "Viva Las Vegas." What is so great about discussing a rock legend's admiration for Elvis?

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

Brian Quinn wrote:
Little Darlin wrote:Brian, this topic was brought up again by a new member -- check the date of the Original post :wink:
Little Darlin',

Didn't see the original date. Thanks for pointing this out.

Brian :)
It had me fooled too Brian, until I saw my post. Deja Vu all over again
midnightx wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:This is an old story and has been posted many times.

And clearly it isn't as interesting as the upcoming duets album and current DVD release of "Viva Las Vegas." What is so great about discussing a rock legend's admiration for Elvis?
You're looking at it out of context, it originated from a thread and post for I page I did awhile back on the Seattle venue
http://scottymoore.net/seattle57.html

Its cool to see at times the admiration that rock stars had for Elvis and to note the possible inspiration that drove them to their own heights. It helps put things in perspective and gives credibility to being a fan of music from genarations other than your own. Elvis was old news and considered uncool to a lot of the people from the generation that grew up listening to Jimi and his peers.