Elvis => Born To Run

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:33 am

Below is a nice scan of the Elvis "King's Court" fan club button.

Bruce Springsteen wears it on the cover of his classic third album, Born To Run:

If anyone hasn't seen the 1975 album cover, check it out, the button is there!

Here's a cool story about how it came about, from the "Elvis Australia" Web site, courtesy of "Backstreets" magazine:

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/behind_ ... sley.shtml

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:50 am

Great story. Great album cover. Brilliant album.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:58 am

I've searched far and wide for one of these buttons and even in the eBay era, I've never had any luck.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:01 am

midnightx wrote:Great story. Great album cover. Brilliant album.

Done, done and done!

And can I just make some more comments?

1) God, Elvis was handsome. Even on a little bitty button! Image

2) This is a cool quote: “For me, seeing Elvis was like seeing God onstage, but seeing Bruce was like seeing your brother or your best friend.” -- Al Hanson, founder of "The King's Court"

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:06 am

I've seen it before, but good stuff, Doc. Even if I disliked Bruce Springsteen (and I don't), he's raised his stature in my book (like so many acts) by being an unabashed, vocal Elvis fan.

I've known many a person who was critical of Elvis who was stopped in his tracks by the fact that Elvis was a hero to their hero...

I'd love to have even a knock-off version of that NYC fan club button!

(Incidentally, Barbra Streisand's triumphant stand at Madison Square Garden garnished a few postive mentions of Elvis in today's New York Daily News article...Whenever other big acts roll through there, too often they neglect the role of Elvis' '72 Garden shows.

Cryo':
I don't know about either one being like a best friend ( :shock: :lol: ),

but my brothers and I have often felt like Elvis was familiar to us to the point of being like a brother, as odd as that sounds.... :oops: :oops:

I guess it's a familiarity thing. We all grew up singing and idolizing the guy.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:16 am

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:02 pm

Great stuff Doc, thanks. I cannot believe how skinny Bruce was in that photo.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:06 pm

Very cool info!

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:25 pm

(Incidentally, Barbra Streisand's triumphant stand at Madison Square Garden garnished a few postive mentions of Elvis in today's New York Daily News article...Whenever other big acts roll through there, too often they neglect the role of Elvis' '72 Garden shows.

What role are you referring to? Other major performers played the Garden. It wasn't unique for an artist to play the venue for more than one show, Zeppelin played an afternoon and evening show in 1970 when they first broke into an arena attraction. Elvis' Garden shows were big and at the time; selling out 4 in a row as a huge accomplishment. But within a year, Zeppelin would sell out 3 in a row, and in 74, The Who sold out 4 in a row.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:45 pm

Where have I seen that album cover before?

Chris

Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:53 pm

we did a page on Scotty's site about Backstreets and his bruce connections. Its a very well done fan magaizne and the people who run it and write for it are very in the know.
http://scottymoore.net/backstreets.html

Jim

Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:20 pm

Here's an alternate picture :D

Re: Elvis => Born To Run

Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:41 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Below is a nice scan of the Elvis "King's Court" fan club button.

Bruce Springsteen wears it on the cover of his classic third album, Born To Run:

Here's a cool story about how it came about, from the "Elvis Australia" Web site, courtesy of "Backstreets" magazine:

All the Springsteen buzz on this MB almost made me buy a Springsteen live dvd.. but somehow I did not.
I do kinda like the artist Bruce Springsteen though.
He'll play Rotterdam shortly.. so good news for the Dutch fans over here.

Do you have any dvd or album recommendations Doc? :wink:

Cheers, RJ

Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:17 pm

Robert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Below is a nice scan of the Elvis "King's Court" fan club button.

All the Springsteen buzz on this MB almost made me buy a Springsteen live dvd.. but somehow I did not.
I do kinda like the artist Bruce Springsteen though.
He'll play Rotterdam shortly.. so good news for the Dutch fans over here.

Do you have any dvd or album recommendations Doc? :wink:

Cheers, RJ

From the last ones, The Rising and We Shall Overcome are pretty good (especiall this one with that jam-session-like atmosphere).

As for DVD, get the Live in Barcelona, is absolutely mind-blowing.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:52 pm

From the last ones, The Rising and We Shall Overcome are pretty good (especiall this one with that jam-session-like atmosphere).

As for DVD, get the Live in Barcelona, is absolutely mind-blowing.

His most recent work is not on par with his former work from "Greetings..." through "Tunnel Of Love." "Human Touch," "Lucky Town," and "The Ghost Of Tom Joad" were very solid, but the past few projects have been somewhat of a disappointment, IMO.

"Live In Barcelona" is great, as is "Live In NYC" from 2000, especially the bonus tracks. But the best official live DVD by far is the 1975 Hammersmith show found on the "Born To Run" 30th Anniversary package.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:38 am

Robert wrote:All the Springsteen buzz on this MB almost made me buy a Springsteen live dvd ... He'll play Rotterdam shortly ... Do you have any dvd or album recommendations Doc?

First of all, if you can see Bruce in concert, I strongly recommend buying a ticket, picking up his latest CD ("We Shall Overcome - The Seeger Sessions") to be familiar with the revitalized folk material he's been doing, and experience the magic. You won't have too many other chances.

After that, there are many good choices, some of which have already been mentioned above:

DVD
Live In Barcelona - wonderful recent Bruce w/E Street Band ('03)
Live In NYC - excellent semi-recent Bruce w/E Street Band ('00)
Hammersmith Odeon '75 - incredible early Bruce w/E Street Band

CD
The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle - jazzy, epic 2nd album
Born To Run - stone classic, get the 2005 deluxe editon, it comes with the 1975 DVD
Darkness On The Edge Of Town - superb 4th album
Nebraska - dark, brooding album of solo demos
Tunnel Of Love - mature relationship songs, great songwriting

There's more, but I'll stop now. Go see his show!

Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:50 am

Thanks for this post Doc; it was very enjoyable. I wished history had been made and Elvis had been able to meet Bruce when he scaled that wall. :wink:

Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robert wrote:All the Springsteen buzz on this MB almost made me buy a Springsteen live dvd ... He'll play Rotterdam shortly ... Do you have any dvd or album recommendations Doc?

First of all, if you can see Bruce in concert, I strongly recommend buying a ticket, picking up his latest CD ("We Shall Overcome - The Seeger Sessions") to be familiar with the revitalized folk material he's been doing, and experience the magic. You won't have too many other chances.

Has the BBC's Seeger Sessions concert been show over there? It's well worth seeing if you haven't already. They showed it as a double bill with the Hammersmith 75 concert fairly recently. Great evening of tv :)

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:10 am

midnightx wrote:

What role are you referring to? Other major performers played the Garden. It wasn't unique for an artist to play the venue for more than one show, Zeppelin played an afternoon and evening show in 1970 when they first broke into an arena attraction. Elvis' Garden shows were big and at the time; selling out 4 in a row as a huge accomplishment. But within a year, Zeppelin would sell out 3 in a row, and in 74, The Who sold out 4 in a row.

Perhaps I was just thinking outloud, but I was under the impression that having the King of Rock'n'Roll return "triumphantly" to New York via Madison Square Garden (by all accounts) to this day merits mention. Indeed, the mention of Elvis in the Streisand at MSG article was what made me think of that. Maybe it wasn't a "first," but Elvis' MSG was such a (media?) career highlight (whether warrented or not) that when someone "plays the Garden," it should be mentioned who so famously did that.

Just how big of a deal was Zeppellin's MSG shows in '72 outside of hard rock fans? Their popularity would grow, as far as I know, much bigger in a few years and even years to come. It wasn't really that newsy that they played there. I tend to doubt they got the coverage Elvis did. not I think it's the flavor that the '50s nostaglia was in high gear and Elvis was a pre-Beatles giant who was returning to say he "still had it."
And the media (New York's TV channels 2,4,5, 7, 9 and 11;the NY Times, the Daily News, ...) probably ate it up or at least found time for it in their newscasts and papers...

I would wager that Elvis garned much more mainstream popular attention in that way, whenever a Springsteen, or Billy Joel or other landmark or popular acts" plays the Garden" in my mind, they are evoking memories of Elvis' at the time huge MSG event. Some might balk at an Elvis -Barbera comparison, but there is that middle of the road fan aspect to it....

From the sheer giant aspect of his persona, Elvis tends to dwarf other performers, long after someone plays 15 shows in a row and shatters this or that Garden attendence record.

I digress... :oops: :D

Just out of curiosity for you Bruce fans: do you find other Bruce fans you've met or "known" (real life or the internet ) in anyway "get Elvis" they way Bruce does?

I would hope some of his tastes would rub off on people, if only to the extent that they see the connections and why Elvis made such an impact on him...
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:18 am

Gregory, you are right, the Elvis shows were a huge event. Afterall, he was arguably the biggest entertainer in the world at that time, so no doubt it was a big deal for him to return to NYC to storm the Garden.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:23 am

Nothing like "arguing" with fellow Elvis fans. :lol:

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:28 am

John Lennon wore an Elvis badge at the 1974 Grammy awards. Was it the same one?

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:39 am

How am I supposed to concentrate on your question? :oops: 8) :lol:

Err, what was it you were on about?

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:43 am

Delboy wrote:John Lennon wore an Elvis badge at the 1974 Grammy awards. Was it the same one?

No, John wore a large, diamond-like pin that had "Elvis" in script. It was at the March 1975 Grammy Awards. Pretty cool, eh?

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:46 am

With these legendary artists so publicly affectionate of him, it's a shame Elvis didn't get the real message: that he was truly liked and adored and there was a bigger world out there waiting for him to grab it by the balls.