Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:22 am

elbo51 wrote:So lets see if anyone thinks this ear is from the same guy in the picture with Elvis ...

There are some similarities, but it's not a match.

Whose "ear" is this? At least it appears to belong to a person of African-American descent.

Damn, I though we could do better than this.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:38 am

why does it have to be an entertainer? its probably no one of the sort.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:03 am

Kylan wrote:why does it have to be an entertainer? its probably no one of the sort.

You're right. It's probably the MGM studio janitor on his day off, popping by to say "hi" and get a quick picture. That happened all the time with Presley. Thanks for clearing this up.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Kylan wrote:why does it have to be an entertainer? its probably no one of the sort.

You're right. It's probably the MGM studio janitor on his day off, popping by to say "hi" and get a quick picture. That happened all the time with Presley. Thanks for clearing this up.

watch it Doc, someone who doesnt know any better might accuse u of being racist with that "studio janitor" talk!! :wink:

btw, no problem Doc, glad to help since u didnt seem to be getting anywhere either! lol

Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:29 pm

is it Lowell Fulson writer of Reconsider Baby i found a few pictures that look similar but not sure how to post them here if someone coould oblige please .

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:22 pm

It's Nat Cole.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:11 pm

I'll take a stab, Jackie Wilson's manager.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:37 pm

I'll agree with Kylan that we can't be sure that it's a performer, but he's definitely got the threads and manner of someone who gets on stage or at least in show business and could get an audience with Elvis, as was stated...

When were those photo(s) of Elvis and Jackie Wilson on that movie set taken? It's possible it's part of Wilson's management, but I can say that's it's definitely not Nat King Cole nor Lowell Fulson/ Fulsom nor Jackie Brenston...

How does this match up with that picture of Elvis and singer and songwriter Brook Benton? In my memory of it, the background seemed similar as if it was the same day or something...

Some feelers have been put out with some blues nuts and we'll get the answer sooner or later. I'll post the results. This could take awhile, folks, but we'll get there.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:01 pm

I would think there is a database or software that matches faces with names????

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:17 pm

Could this be gospel singer Jimmie Jones, whom Elvis has asked Tom Diskin to locate for the How Great Thou Art sessions? Perhaps, they met soon afterward on the set of Double Trouble, since Diskin was unable to locate Jones in time for the HGAT sessions in late May of 1966.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:25 pm

houndog wrote:is it Lowell Fulson writer of Reconsider Baby...

No, it's not Lowell Fulson.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:32 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:...Brook Benton?

Nah. Plus, Brook Benton was born in 1931, which would make him 35 at the time of the photo. The fella with Elvis appears older than that....

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:32 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:When were those photo(s) of Elvis and Jackie Wilson on that movie set taken?

Elvis and Jackie, as mentioned, were captured on the MGM backlot in July 1966. As noted, Elvis was wearing the exact same outfit in the mystery picture, so it's very likely it was captured at the same time.

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:How does this match up with that picture of Elvis and singer and songwriter Brook Benton?

Not at all. Brook and Elvis were photographed by Ernest C. Withers at that same WDIA Benefit in Dec '57 where Presley was seen with Junior Parker and Bobby Bland.

My continued thanks goes out to all those sincerely interested in assisting this query.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:53 pm

Mike C wrote:Could this be gospel singer Jimmie Jones ...

It appears our query is neither Jimmy Jones nor any of the Harmonizing Four:

The beat goes on ...

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:27 pm

unclefester wrote:... or you are looking for the answer along with the rest of us?

That's it -- "I need to know," as Tom Petty once sang.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:01 am

I sent the picture to a couple of friend of mine that have to be two of the biggest blues fans I know of. I didn't name names just told them it was 1966. Their best guess is Junior Parker.

That's all I got

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:25 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Their best guess is Junior Parker.

Thanks anyway, James. It's definitely not Junior Parker. Boy, is this a tough nut to crack.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:38 am

your right the picture you posted of Lowell Fulson it aint but this picture

you got to " Reconsider Baby"Image

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:39 am

ok so tell me how to post a picture please

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:45 am

It's Richard Pryor before he went on the Atkins diet.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:56 am

Keep trying, you're bound to hit upon an amusing one eventually.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:34 am

houndog wrote:ok so tell me how to post a picture please

The image of Fulson you want to post only further confirms he is not the man in the mystery photo:

Your address for the photo was in error, that's why it didn't appear in your post.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:43 am

KHoots wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:...Brook Benton?

Nah. Plus, Brook Benton was born in 1931, which would make him 35 at the time of the photo. The fella with Elvis appears older than that....

Khoots, I never said it was actually Brook Benton, as the context was that perhaps it was a manager or entourage member of a known act like Jackie Wilson ..or Brook Benton. I merely meant that the background of that shot with Elvis reminded me of it (as in, perhaps it was the same day?), but as Doc points out, that was nearly a decade before. (I didn't have it before me...)

I also ruled out Fulsom in that same post...

Definitely not Parker, either, as was stated.

I dare say a lot of "big blues fans" won't know this person, because he's clearly not in that first or even second tier of known bluesmen, as that's where most people really leave off. I happen to be into even third and fourth "tier" acts and can say I don't recognize him at all. My rule of thumb is that if it's a recognizable blues name and you're about to post it here, than it's not him.

He still could be a gospel or an R&B guy or part of an entourage...We'll get there, if some of the true blues experts I know can rise to the occasion...

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:27 am

thanks DR John

just who is the mystery man???????????

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:30 am

OK guys - problem solved. It's definitely, but definitely, Arthur Alexander.

No doubt about it.