Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:11 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Can we get back to discussing Elvis?

Please.

Tom

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:19 pm

Greg Nolan jr. wrote: and if you found him to be wrong, kindly point it out without the negativity.
Point it out? You must be kidding? You should tune in more often.
You musta missed last weeks episode about the MDQ.

---------------------------------------------

Greg wrote: Can we get back to discussing Elvis?

Sure deal. It is true that this seems to be the earliest known interview, but who knows, perhaps Ernst has uncovered a previously unkown interview to cap off the Sun box. That would be something. He did say there would be surprises. That would count for me. The whole
Sun era is so interesting that every new fact that turns up is welcome.
We don't have much in the way of audio of Elvis talking pre-1956.
There is Bob Neal thing. The minute radio blurb heard in a video several years back, and the Axton thing. I wonder if anything was found within the Sam Phillips estate? Of all the sources to find something from the Sun era you'd think that his estate would have turned up something.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:23 pm

I did read all threads about the MDQ.

Any feuds were "filtered" out. :lol:

ekenee wrote: The whole
Sun era is so interesting that every new fact that turns up is welcome.

I agree. I suspect perhaps the '70s will be entirely mined one day for nuggets of facts, but something from the '50s is just so much harder to come by...

The Don Davis interview on the "ELVIS PRESLEY special edition" FTD, for instance!

Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:23 pm

Greg Nolan jr. wrote: I agree. I suspect perhaps the '70s will be entirely mined one day for nuggets of facts, but something from the '50s is just so much harder to come by...

The Don Davis interview on the "ELVIS PRESLEY special edition" FTD, for instance!

But the ironic thing is this. In the 50's Elvis was just starting out and the colonel didn't control the interviews as much. There must be countless other 50's radio visits and interviews that are still gathering dust at the estates of radio dj's everywhere.
In the 1970's, sit-down chats with Elvis are much more rare to come by.

So in theory there should be alot more stuff from the 50's still to be found.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:38 pm

I hope you're right, but I keep thinking someone would have dug this stuff up in say, 1978 or '79, when post-humous "Elvis-mania" was really raging.

There's a narrow window of time before things get accidentally trashed.
Conceiveably, there is an acetate or a tape just sitting out there somewhere as we speak...

The story behind the Don Davis interview itself was proof of how things can almost be forgotten...