Famous 1955 Interview By Mae Boren Axton --> Misdated!

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:46 am

Ann Raye, Elvis, Mae Boren Axton
Thursday, May 26, 1955, Junior College Stadium, Meridian, MS

The "May 13, 1955" interview of Elvis by Mae Boren Axton, Jacksonville, Florida schoolteacher, Tom Parker publicist and future co-author of "Heartbreak Hotel," is the earliest known we have with Presley.

But a careful listen reveals that the dating of the interview is in error!

You've covered a lot of territory in the last few months, I believe.

Uh, yes ma'am, I've covered a lot of, mostly in West Texas, that's where I, that's where my records are hottest, around in, uh, San Angelo, in Lubbock, and Midland, Amarillo ...

The three-month period in 1955 where Elvis, Scotty and Bill really hit West Texas was May to July.

And the first time he played Amarillo was on June 2, 1955.

Mae Boren Axton, Elvis - March 1956

Thus, this legendary interview is more properly dated to Elvis' second tour of Florida, July 23 to 31, 1955. And since Axton was based in Jacksonville, the interview likely took place on July 28 or July 29. Finally, a later interview with Axton for Radio London revealed it was done in Presley's motel room, and aired on the radio later.

This still remains the earliest extant recording of Elvis being interviewed. For now.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:02 am

Doc, just wondering, did you discover this info yourself? Either way, great detective work!

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:24 am

Joe Car wrote:Doc, just wondering, did you discover this info yourself? Either way, great detective work!

Thanks. This AM I was enjoying the bonus CD that comes with "The Elvis Treasures," and the Axton interview is first. With some cross-referencing of "Day By Day" (Guralnick/Jørgensen), the July date made sense.

More interesting is we have no known recorded interviews prior to July 1955 -- surely there must be a few more, hiding somewhere.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:06 am

Dear Doctor,

I have the 5 cd interview set called, 'word for word'.

The date listed for this interview is stated as July 28, 1955.

I hope this helps.

ekenee

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:05 am

There is a member on here whose father interviewed Elvis on his radio show in Dermott on March 25th 1955.

There is hope that in the archives of the last owner there is a tape of the interview along with some photos that were taken at the local cafe (?) with the mayor or some such similar dignitories. if the member concerned wishes to add additioanl or updated info to this I'm sure they will.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:37 am

Steve_M wrote:There is a member on here whose father interviewed Elvis on his radio show in Dermott on March 25th 1955.

There is hope that in the archives of the last owner there is a tape of the interview along with some photos that were taken at the local cafe (?) with the mayor or some such similar dignitories. if the member concerned wishes to add additioanl or updated info to this I'm sure they will.

Steve, that would be incredible to say the least!

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:32 am

:) this has been a great post Doc VERY interesting!

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:56 am

YDKM wrote::) this has been a great post Doc VERY interesting!

Thanks. I do what I can. If that March interview ever surfaces, let us know, Steve.

Re: Famous 1955 Interview By Mae Boren Axton => Misdated!

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The May 13, 1955 interview of Elvis by Mae Boren Axton, Jacksonville, Florida schoolteacher/Parker publicist, and future co-author of "Heartbreak Hotel," is the earliest known with Presley. But a careful listen reveals that the dating of the interview is in error!

Thus, this interview should more properly be dated to Elvis' second tour of Florida, July 23-31, 1955. And since Axton was based in Jacksonville, the interview likely took place on July 28 or 29.

It still remains the earliest extant recording of Elvis being interviewed, for now.

Interesting

After originally having July 28 1955 in Jacksonville as the date and place for this interview (as per "The Complete Word For Word" CD1) I changed the date to May 7 1955 in Daytona Beach after Ernst corrected me.

Ernst Jørgensen (e-mail) wrote:"in relation to the Mae Boren interview - I believe that was done on May 7, 1955 in Daytona Beach

Ernst"

Looks like Ernst maybe wrong about the date after all

Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:23 pm

Nice sleuthing, Doc!

I have that "The Elvis Treasures" book and disc and really enjoyed that interview for her uncommon respect towards Elvis, seemingly rare at the time...

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:57 am

Doc and Keith,
I just wanted to take the time to thank you all for all of your posts such as these; they are truly informative. I am amazed at your connections with the people that count in the Elvis world and at your fandom and scholarly aspect you all have for music and history! These days my time is so limited I cannot devote as much time as I once could to my Elvis studies so I benefit from postings such as these and they are such a welcome change to some of the posts. KUDOS! :wink:

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:02 pm

Joe Car wrote:Doc, just wondering, did you discover this info yourself? Either way, great detective work!

Looks like he may have just lifted this info from the liner notes of the 'Word for Word' set, as per the ekenee post.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:17 pm

It doesn't sound like Doc "lifted" it from there as he arrived at this conclusion from other reference points, as he noted. Who assembled or put out the 5-CD set?

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:27 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:It doesn't sound like Doc "lifted" it from there as he arrived at this conclusion from other reference points, as he noted. Who assembled or put out the 5-CD set?

Sorry, it's just the cynic in me....although I'm sure the good doctor would not have lambasted anyone else who had reached such a 'conclusion'. :wink:

BTW Gregory, I'm sure John Boy can stick up for himself.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:44 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thank you Doc for this valuable detective info 8) 8).

Gregory Nolan Jr wrote:

Who assembled or put out the 5-CD set?.

Note: This fantastic set was produced by ElvisUnlimited in 2002 and it is still available on their website. In 2004 they released volume 2 on a single cd and it is not to be missing either. Hope this help. :wink: :wink:.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:44 pm

"Larry Dickman" wrote:

No doubt about that, but what's fair is fair, "Dickman." It seemed like an cheap attempt to tweak the guy and I'll defend anyone, be it DJC or the late Graceland Gardener, if it's appropriate. I clash with Doc from time to time but when I'll speak up on his side when the spirit moves me. :lol:

Mike W: thanks for the heads-up on that cd set.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:38 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:"Larry Dickman" wrote:

No doubt about that, but what's fair is fair, "Dickman." It seemed like an cheap attempt to tweak the guy and I'll defend anyone, be it DJC or the late Graceland Gardener, if it's appropriate. I clash with Doc from time to time but when I'll speak up on his side when the spirit moves me. :lol:

You have quoted me out of context "Nolan Jr."......what about all the sh*t
John Boy has hung on others here for such an innocent 'oversight'.
He often bangs on about rose coloured glasses, maybe he should pick up a pair....might improve his readin' and learnin'. :wink:

And I reiterate, a person with the ego the size of John Boy doesn't need you to defend him "Nolan Jr."

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:09 am

Could we please refrain from turning this into yet another Doc bashing thread?! The guy posted some very interesting information, let's let it go at that.

Now, Larry before you even say it, I know that the Doc doesn't need me or anyone else for that matter to stick up for him. He is more than capable of taking out the trash all by himself, as he has proven time and time again on this very board.

Tom

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:39 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:Could we please refrain from turning this into yet another Doc bashing thread?! The guy posted some very interesting information, let's let it go at that.
Tom

He did?
Guess my point has been lost on you, Tom.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:42 am

Larry Dickman. wrote:Guess my point has been lost on you, Tom.

You had one??

Tom

Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:52 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Larry Dickman. wrote:Guess my point has been lost on you, Tom.

You had one??

Tom

arrghh....John Boys 'scoop' is OLD news.....from the liner notes of a set released in 2002!

Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:17 am

Not to mention the 2005 release "the Elvis Interviews" (Radio Spirits):

CD 1

1.July 28. Jacksonville, Florida - Mae Axton Interview, 1955 :wink:

Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:27 am

Larry, give it up. The doctor has some groupies out there.

If they think he did some wonderful sluething from information that was already available, so be it.

Even when he is wrong they will defend him.

So when he is right, as in this case, there is no reasoning.

I don't get it either. Perhaps in the end he was just trying to verify this information because the interview in question was wrongly dated on a few other cd's.
Last edited by ekenee on Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:42 am

ekenee wrote:Larry, give it up. The doctor has some groupies out there.

If they think he did some wonderful sluething from information that was already available, then let them.

Even when he is wrong they will defend him.

So when he is right, as in this case, there is no reasoning.

I don't get it either. Perhaps in the end he was just trying to verify this information because the interview in question was wrongly dated on a few other cd's.

I will take you advice ekenee......thank you

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:59 pm

Groupies? Give me a break, Ekenee and "Larry Dickman." I clash with him regularly and if you found him to be wrong, kindly point it out without the negativity.I've seen him stand corrected before and I don't even disagree that he has some of this coming.

I don't recall either of you being especially vocal with him before. I do it regularly but still respect his contributions. Can we get back to discussing Elvis?