Re: Elvis Saw Nancy at Caesar's --> It's Really No Mystery N

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:48 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Why did Elvis go to see all these MOR crooners?...Why didn't he go to see people like, The Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin etc...more exciting then going to see Nancy in Vegas. Like them, Elvis was a Rock'n'Roller...it might have reminded him of what it was all about, again.

I can't think of any good reason why Elvis shouldn't have gone to see Nancy Sinatra at Caesar's Palace. First of all, they were friends and she had seen him in concert previously. Nancy was also a popular and talented singer who was appearing at a highly prestigious venue. Furthermore, Elvis was friendly with her dad and could also enjoy the company of Tom Jones, Cary Grant, Fred Astaire and another good friend in Sammy Davis, Jr. Perhaps not at this particular show, but this was good company whom Elvis had kept on occasions when he still ventured out and had every reason to be optimistic about his own future. Conversely, would Elvis have actually enjoyed a Led Zeppelin, The Who or a Rolling Stones concert?!
Last edited by greystoke on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks Doc. Great research as always.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 am

greystoke wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Why did Elvis go to see all these MOR crooners?...Why didn't he go to see people like, The Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin etc...more exciting then going to see Nancy in Vegas. Like them, Elvis was a Rock'n'Roller...it might have reminded him of what it was all about, again.

I can't think of any good reason why Elvis shouldn't have gone to see Nancy Sinatra at Caesar's Palace. First of all, they were friends and she had seen him in concert previously. Nancy was also a popular and talented singer who was appearing at a highly prestigious venue. Furthermore, Elvis was friendly with her dad and could also enjoy the company of Tom Jones, Cary Grant, Fred Astaire and another good friend in Sammy Davis, Jr. Perhaps not at this particular show, but this was good company whom Elvis had kept on occasions when he still ventured out and had every reason to be optimistic about his own future. Conversely, would Elvis have actually enjoyed a Led Zeppelin, The Who or a Rolling Stones concert?!

All great points. Plus, Elvis was in town at the International, rehearsing for his 8-10-1970 OS. Getting to the gig would be a 5-minute drive.

No doubt the hard rock represented by those examples would not have appealed to him. Had he attended a show, the band in question would have been beside themselves with excitement and fear. Elvis was still Elvis.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 am

Juan Luis wrote:Thanks Doc. Great research as always.

Thank you.

Sat May 25, 2013 7:03 pm

EBAY

Sun May 26, 2013 1:45 am

steevefry wrote:
700806_at Caesars Palace.JPG

EBAY

Thanks, stevefry. On the eBay page it clearly reads:

3 Rare & Beautiful photos of Elvis Presley attending Nancy Sinatra's opening show at Caesar's Palace, August 6, 1970.

Rare & beautiful photos of Elvis Presley #R48
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Rare-beautiful-photos-of-Elvis-Presley-R48-/171046564399

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Hello everyone,
Today I received the Elvis files number four magazine and inside are these great pictures.
A great topic and a great magazine :smt007

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:04 am

tennesseegirl wrote:Hello everyone,
Today I received the Elvis files number four magazine and inside are these great pictures.

Do they credit the photos to the Nancy Sinatra's 8-06-1970 OS at Caesar's Palace?

Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Do they credit the photos to the Nancy Sinatra's 8-06-1970 OS at Caesar's Palace?

Yes.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:35 am

tennesseegirl wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes.

Ah-ha!! Proof positive FECC is one of their "go-to" destinations!

Thanks.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
tennesseegirl wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes.

Thanks.

Amongst MANY others, yes. :D

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:47 am

Mr Whopitt wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
tennesseegirl wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes.

Thanks.

Amongst MANY others, yes. :D

The others are, of course, a mistake.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:34 am

All (I think) photos have been added here, with credit given where credit is due ;-) ...and your 500th thumbs up Doc.

Attending Nancy Sinatra's opening show at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas on August 6, 1970
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... ug670.html

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:25 am

i wonder if he went to see the basie orchestra

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:25 am

i wonder if he went to see the basie orchestra

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:06 am

What should I say? It is the doc, great topic as always. ::rocks

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The program from Nancy Sinatra's August 6, 1970 debut shows even more reasons why Elvis would be there:

700806_Nancy Sinatra_Program.jpg
Nancy Sinatra, Caesar's Palace program, August 6, 1970

Note Billy Strange (guitar) and Hal Blaine (drums) prominently featured -- they were part of Nancy's band and had worked with her. Each were session pros who also worked with Elvis in West Hollywood, and Strange co-wrote songs with Mac Davis that Presley cut, and he produced a few sessions with Elvis in 1968 as well.

Thank you.

Is this also the show where one of the osmonds threw up on stage in front of Elvis?