Re: Sammy Does Elvis In '58 --> It's No Mystery!

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:59 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Interesting and informative post! Elvis sure looked fantastic in 1958 and I could only dream of what it must have been like to SDJ on stage at that time... my father was lucky enough to see him in Detroit in 1957. I am a HUGE Sammy Davis Jr. fan... everyone knew what an outstanding entertainer Sammy was but he must have had one of the most underrated voices in show business... he had an absolutely beautiful voice.
Thanks for posting John!
One of my all time favorites from SDJ: (sorry didn't mean to hyjack the thread but I just love this song and Sammy's vocal performance)

phpBB [video]

That is a very nice recording!

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:03 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I spent a lot of time around Sammy while he and Jerry Lewis were rehearsing for their Vegas act. They both wanted to see ONE MORE TIME and I was able to locate a 35mm print and arranged a screening at the theater in Bally's.

Sammy was kind, gentle, soft-spoken. And on-stage or in rehearsals he was pure magic. As you've said, he was on fire and at the top of his game. Jerry was devastated when he passed. They were brothers.

You could not have met a nicer man.

Thank you for sharing this great story. It's no wonder Elvis liked Davis so much.

I am unfamiliar with the film you mention, but it appears to be on DVD now:

One More Time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_More_Time_(film)

They must have really appreciated your effort to screen the film. That's a great memory.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:06 pm

memfisking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:This topic establishes Elvis in attendance at the Moulin Rouge in Feruary 1958, watching Sammy Davis, Jr. perform a homage to the young singer. That is new...

That is simply not true. It may have been new to you and some people on this mb ...

How unfortunate that, in nearly five years as "memfisking," you not once considered sharing this information on FECC.

This topic takes care of that. And adds a great deal of cool information about the Moulin Rouge and Elvis as well.

Thanks for popping in!

::rocks

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I spent a lot of time around Sammy while he and Jerry Lewis were rehearsing for their Vegas act. They both wanted to see ONE MORE TIME and I was able to locate a 35mm print and arranged a screening at the theater in Bally's.

Sammy was kind, gentle, soft-spoken. And on-stage or in rehearsals he was pure magic. As you've said, he was on fire and at the top of his game. Jerry was devastated when he passed. They were brothers.

You could not have met a nicer man.

Thank you for sharing this great story. It's no wonder Elvis liked Davis so much.

I am unfamiliar with the film you mention, but it appears to be on DVD now:

One More Time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_More_Time_(film)

They must have really appreciated your effort to screen the film. That's a great memory.

I was a lucky man!

Jerry's dressing room had a sign on the door, "Please Smoke."

Sammy had a sign on his door too: "Please Don't Smoke."

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:46 am

There's a cool Youtube video where Sam is going to sing I've Gotta Be Me from some Hugh Hefner Playboy show. He's just about to start when he takes to task a black man behind him for smoking a cigar. "C'mon man, I'm gonna sing. Do you mind?" type dialogue. The guy is Bill Cosby and he backs away a little but doesn't put it away and doesn't clap much afterwards. BTW, Sammy's holding a cigarette during some of his performance. It's cool. Check it out.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:08 am

stevelecher wrote:There's a cool Youtube video where Sam is going to sing I've Gotta Be Me from some Hugh Hefner Playboy show. He's just about to start when he takes to task a black man behind him for smoking a cigar. "C'mon man, I'm gonna sing. Do you mind?" type dialogue. The guy is Bill Cosby and he backs away a little but doesn't put it away and doesn't clap much afterwards. BTW, Sammy's holding a cigarette during some of his performance. It's cool. Check it out.

There ya go!

phpBB [video]

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:03 am

Was this cigar-stuff planned? Otherwise Cosby comes over as an *sshole here, if it's not a put-on.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:05 am

James27 wrote:Was this cigar-stuff planned? Otherwise Cosby comes over as an *sshole here, if it's not a put-on.

What are your thoughts on Elvis seeing Davis at the Moulin Rouge in February 1958?

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:35 am

James27 wrote:Was this cigar-stuff planned? Otherwise Cosby comes over as an *sshole here, if it's not a put-on.

It all looks legit. Why would they pre plan a scene like this?

Assuming EP and SDJ spent time together in the 1970's, and Sammy seemed to be a regular at the Vegas opening shows, I wonder when he first became concerned about his friend's health and worsening condition?

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:40 am

I think the cigar bit was pre-planned.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:59 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I think the cigar bit was pre-planned.

Yeah, it's a joke. Acting like he doesn't know who Cosby is and asking him to put out his cigar while he and his conductor George Rhodes (sp?) smoke. This is the great late night TV show Playboy After Dark. I loved this show as a kid.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:16 am

stevelecher wrote:

It all looks legit. Why would they pre plan a scene like this?

Assuming EP and SDJ spent time together in the 1970's, and Sammy seemed to be a regular at the Vegas opening shows, I wonder when he first became concerned about his friend's health and worsening condition?

I wouldn't say it was pre-planned but it was definitely a joke. Cos and Sammy were great friends and Sammy is just joking around. I like the joke about Hef getting a band in the closet. Playboy After Dark (Originally Playboy's Penthouse) was meant to look like it was taped at a cocktail party in a swanky penthouse apartment when it was actually taped in a TV studio at CBS Television City in Hollywood.

phpBB [video]

This video cuts off but the elevator doors would open and Hef and his date (many times Barbi Benton) would greet you like you were entering the party.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:33 am

When is this photograph from?

Sammy_with_Elvis_50s.jpg

They are dressed casually, but it does look to be from around that time if you look at Elvis' sideburns, and his general appearance.

Gosh, can you imagine an elderly person of 32, rockin' and rollin'?! Just amazing! ;)

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:12 am

rjm wrote:When is this photograph from?

Sammy_with_Elvis_50s.jpg

They are dressed casually, but it does look to be from around that time if you look at Elvis' sideburns, and his general appearance.

Gosh, can you imagine an elderly person of 32, rockin' and rollin'?! Just amazing! ;)

It's at Paramount for "King Creole," looks like when Elvis filmed the "Lover Doll" sequence, January 27-28, 1958.

phpBB [video]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:08 pm

Regarding the smoking, Sinatra apparently chastised Davis for smoking throughout his act - Sinatra invariably only had a lit cigarette for the saloon song. Sinatra had been told that smoking during singing meant extra damage to the throat because of the way singers take their breaths. I can't find the quote at the moment - it may even be in Davis's book again, but there are so many references to Sinatra in it it's hard to find things!

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:02 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Regarding the smoking, Sinatra apparently chastised Davis for smoking throughout his act - Sinatra invariably only had a lit cigarette for the saloon song. Sinatra had been told that smoking during singing meant extra damage to the throat because of the way singers take their breaths. I can't find the quote at the moment - it may even be in Davis's book again, but there are so many references to Sinatra in it it's hard to find things!

Didn't Dean smoke as well? Or was it just having the glass in his hand? I thought he smoked on stage...

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Dean smoked while he sang.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:44 pm

stevelecher wrote:Dean smoked while he sang.

yes, he did. Which is what makes me think that the comment is mentioned in sammy's book somewhere.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Mitch wrote: Very nice Doc,

I enjoyed that.

+1

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:48 pm

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Mitch wrote: Very nice Doc,

I enjoyed that.

+1

Thank you, Mitch and MikeFromHolland!

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Thanks Doc. Nice topic.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:18 pm

londonflash wrote:Thanks Doc. Nice topic.

Thanks! More to come, for all the good members of FECC.

::rocks

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:37 pm

stevelecher wrote:Dean smoked while he sang.

Saw Dean in Vegas a couple of times and his timing of lighting the cig, taking puffs and throwing and stamping it out during a song was impeccable. It was totally used as a prop.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
greystoke wrote:Sammy, himself, spoke of Elvis sitting ringside when he performed at the Moulin Rouge in 1958. They had spent time together beforehand, first meeting on the set of Loving You in early 1957 -- and in the days after the aforementioned show at the Mou, when Elvis and Sammy discussed the prospect of co-starring in The Defiant Ones. Sammy's Mr. Hyde impersonation also had Elvis in hysterics, something Presley had seen in private and suggested that Sammy put in his act. Davis, Jr. also mentioned impersonating Elvis at this time and of his disappointment in not being afforded the opportunity to co-star with Elvis in The Defiant Ones.

Thank you so much for sharing this information and contributing to the topic. It's unfortunate we do not have an audio or film recording of Davis' performance in February 1958, or even photos of Sammy and Elvis together after the show.

No problem, Doc. Sammy has spoken well and highly of Elvis over the years. He was a marvellous entertainer -- one of the absolute best in many ways. Why Me? is one of the finest show business autobiographies, whilst his memoir and chronicle of the movie business, Hollywood in a Suitcase, remains one of the best books of its kind. Here, in remembering Elvis, he said that he never rated the "spate of books that came out after Presley's death." And concluded that he was never allowed the flexibility he needed as an artist.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:35 pm

greystoke wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
greystoke wrote:Sammy, himself, spoke of Elvis sitting ringside when he performed at the Moulin Rouge in 1958. They had spent time together beforehand, first meeting on the set of Loving You in early 1957 -- and in the days after the aforementioned show at the Mou, when Elvis and Sammy discussed the prospect of co-starring in The Defiant Ones. Sammy's Mr. Hyde impersonation also had Elvis in hysterics, something Presley had seen in private and suggested that Sammy put in his act. Davis, Jr. also mentioned impersonating Elvis at this time and of his disappointment in not being afforded the opportunity to co-star with Elvis in The Defiant Ones.

Thank you so much for sharing this information and contributing to the topic. It's unfortunate we do not have an audio or film recording of Davis' performance in February 1958, or even photos of Sammy and Elvis together after the show.

No problem, Doc. Sammy has spoken well and highly of Elvis over the years. He was a marvellous entertainer -- one of the absolute best in many ways. Why Me? is one of the finest show business autobiographies, whilst his memoir and chronicle of the movie business, Hollywood in a Suitcase, remains one of the best books of its kind. Here, in remembering Elvis, he said that he never rated the "spate of books that came out after Presley's death." And concluded that he was never allowed the flexibility he needed as an artist.

Good to see you posting, greystoke.