Re: Albert Goldman --> The Evil That Men Do

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:49 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Part of the Doc's argument that Goldman was unfairly attacking Elvis in the 1968 article was because he said the article was meant to be a preview of the TV special (see the red section above) and yet he barely mentioned the special.

This is not at all part of my argument, which has been explained several times on this topic already.

The December 1968 New York Times hit piece is presented as an example of Goldman's undisguised hatred for the subject (Elvis Presley), his audience (fans) and the music (rock 'n' roll). He does admire Tom Parker's management. ALL of this foreshadows the book he would publish in 1981.

As for the piece itself, regardless of what was written, it was clearly meant to preview the TV special, that's why the Times placed it in their "Arts and Leisure" section on the Sunday before the program. Everyone planned their week to come looking at the Sunday papers.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:42 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Part of the Doc's argument that Goldman was unfairly attacking Elvis in the 1968 article was because he said the article was meant to be a preview of the TV special (see the red section above) and yet he barely mentioned the special.

This is not at all part of my argument, which has been explained several times on this topic already.

The December 1968 New York Times hit piece is presented as an example of Goldman's undisguised hatred for the subject (Elvis Presley), his audience (fans) and the music (rock 'n' roll). He does admire Tom Parker's management. ALL of this foreshadows the book he would publish in 1981.

As for the piece itself, regardless of what was written, it was clearly meant to preview the TV special, that's why the Times placed it in their "Arts and Leisure" section on the Sunday before the program. Everyone planned their week to come looking at the Sunday papers.

For crying out loud, this is not rocket science, Doc. The paper asked Goldman to write a piece to tie-in with the showing the special. It was not intended that he talk about the special, but simply write an opinion piece on Presley. I'm not quite sure what section of the paper other than "Arts and Leisure" you might expect the piece to be placed in? It doesn't prove one way or the other whether the thing is a preview or not. Articles from this period intended to be previews or reviews are generally prefixed with "TV:" and then the title of the article. See the below url for an example.

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F70912FB3A541B7B93C4AB178AD95F4C8685F9

The 1968 piece and the 1970 piece would work as an example of undisguised hatred if that is indeed what they are. Yes, he admires Parker's management, but that doesn't mean he approves of it.

If those two articles were presented here with the author NOT KNOWN, we would be looking at the first as an example of how people viewed Presley prior to the TV special (as a sold-out hack more worried about making money in Hollywood than being a credible artist), and you yourself would probably be saying that the second article highlights everything that was wrong with Presley being in Vegas. Sadly you seem to unable to divorce what the author said 13 years later with the actual contents of the articles.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:57 am

poormadpeter wrote:
rjm wrote:
As I said, if others haven't read it, take it from someone who did: it wouldn't be a great loss to Presley scholarship not to read it. There are plenty of better books, and I listed the major serious biographies. In 1981, you "needed" to read it; you do not need to do so today. Really.

While there are sexist comments in the book, there is something else, and it bursts through the NYT piece, in hot, purple prose. His comments are "more than a little insinuatingly homophobic." Go back and read it: it's very, very clear. "communing with his handsome young companions . . ." That's just one.

Excuse me for chopping your post up, but I simply wanted to make two comments on the above two excerpts.

With regards to the worth of reading the book today - it IS a HUGELY important book that needs to be read. There is a thread on here somewhere about being fed up with the fat Elvis image and the notion that Elvis was always on drugs etc. Well, regarding that and how Elvis was viewed for many years, this book is ESSENTIAL. It may not be a great biography, but it is IMPORTANT in understanding how and WHY Elvis has been viewed the way he is from 1977 to the present day, and charting the beginnings of the trajectory. If a book is talked about and as influential as Goldman's, then it is essential reading.

Secondly, I'm not sure I agree with RJM's definition of homophobia. Accusing Elvis of "communing with his handsome young companions" is not homophobic (unless he said that such practices were disgusting etc after your quote), but it is libellous.

First, feel free to "chop," snipping a post is an old usenet tradition! :)

Next, it would read somewhat differently today, of course. But it being 1968, I can't see any other way to read it. The mere suggestion, in a public forum such as the NY Times, could mean total destruction to a performer. It was a different world, and the remarks were incendiary in that world. Gay people are getting married and having families today, and a myriad host of celebrities have happily come out. That expression really didn't even exist then, and certainly not in show business. So many actual gay performers suffered terribly in those times, and ANY strong suggestion of this made toward anyone at that time, was malicious.

Albert Goldman, 1967, in a CBS Reports special - he comes in at 46:10, with opposing views by Gore Vidal.

THIS is Albert Goldman, starting at 46:10:

http://digital.films.com/play/YBKVXR @poormadpeter

rjm

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:17 pm

rjm wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
rjm wrote:
As I said, if others haven't read it, take it from someone who did: it wouldn't be a great loss to Presley scholarship not to read it. There are plenty of better books, and I listed the major serious biographies. In 1981, you "needed" to read it; you do not need to do so today. Really.

While there are sexist comments in the book, there is something else, and it bursts through the NYT piece, in hot, purple prose. His comments are "more than a little insinuatingly homophobic." Go back and read it: it's very, very clear. "communing with his handsome young companions . . ." That's just one.

Excuse me for chopping your post up, but I simply wanted to make two comments on the above two excerpts.

With regards to the worth of reading the book today - it IS a HUGELY important book that needs to be read. There is a thread on here somewhere about being fed up with the fat Elvis image and the notion that Elvis was always on drugs etc. Well, regarding that and how Elvis was viewed for many years, this book is ESSENTIAL. It may not be a great biography, but it is IMPORTANT in understanding how and WHY Elvis has been viewed the way he is from 1977 to the present day, and charting the beginnings of the trajectory. If a book is talked about and as influential as Goldman's, then it is essential reading.

Secondly, I'm not sure I agree with RJM's definition of homophobia. Accusing Elvis of "communing with his handsome young companions" is not homophobic (unless he said that such practices were disgusting etc after your quote), but it is libellous.

First, feel free to "chop," snipping a post is an old usenet tradition! :)

Next, it would read somewhat differently today, of course. But it being 1968, I can't see any other way to read it. The mere suggestion, in a public forum such as the NY Times, could mean total destruction to a performer. It was a different world, and the remarks were incendiary in that world. Gay people are getting married and having families today, and a myriad host of celebrities have happily come out. That expression really didn't even exist then, and certainly not in show business. So many actual gay performers suffered terribly in those times, and ANY strong suggestion of this made toward anyone at that time, was malicious.

Albert Goldman, 1967, in a CBS Reports special - he comes in at 46:10, with opposing views by Gore Vidal.

rjm

I'll look at the link later, but I still stand by what I said - Goldman's comment on communing with young men was not homophobic. It may have been libellous, although the comment only accuses Presley of gay acts if you happen to read it that way - I certainly didn't when I read it. For it to be homophobic, it would have had to have been attacking homosexuals or the homosexual way of life.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:25 pm

poormadpeter wrote:For it to be homophobic, it would have had to have been attacking homosexuals or the homosexual way of life.

Homophobic or homophobia is also a fear of homosexuals usually stemming from a lack of understanding or the lack of a willingness to understand... Goldman would have made a great Nazi... perhaps Hitler was one of his idols???

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Marcus wrote a tremendous review of Goldman's book for the Village Voice Literary Review section that winter, and Presley made the cover as well, with a shot from his New York press conference 9 years before. In Greil's piece, he laid out the hate, the lies, and the overall peculiar obsessions that resulted in Elvis.

Below is the entire article, as it ran back then. It is well worth reading, every single word.

It meant a LOT for every true fan to see someone standing up to the evil that was Goldman's book:

811125_Village Voice_01.JPG

811125_Village Voice_02.JPG

811125_Village Voice_03a.JPG

811125_Village Voice_03b.JPG
Village Voice, November 25, 1981

Ironically, in the same literary review was an ad for the Goldman book, on sale for only $9.95 at Barnes & Noble!

811125_Village Voice_04.JPG

Brighter days were ahead, although we didn't know it then.

Great topic!

I'm sure Goldman would get a great postume kick if he had known that people were still discussing him. To me, he reads and looks like a very frustrated little man, angry at the women he couldn't get and jealous at the good looking, instinctively talented guys for being alive. So he used his talent for writing against the subjects of his frustrations. I know the type.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:24 am

James27 wrote:Great topic!

I'm sure Goldman would get a great postume kick if he had known that people were still discussing him. To me, he reads and looks like a very frustrated little man, angry at the women he couldn't get and jealous at the good looking, instinctively talented guys for being alive. So he used his talent for writing against the subjects of his frustrations. I know the type.

Thank you. I couldn't agree more.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:46 am

James27 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Marcus wrote a tremendous review of Goldman's book for the Village Voice Literary Review section that winter, and Presley made the cover as well, with a shot from his New York press conference 9 years before. In Greil's piece, he laid out the hate, the lies, and the overall peculiar obsessions that resulted in Elvis.

Below is the entire article, as it ran back then. It is well worth reading, every single word.

It meant a LOT for every true fan to see someone standing up to the evil that was Goldman's book:

811125_Village Voice_01.JPG

811125_Village Voice_02.JPG

811125_Village Voice_03a.JPG

811125_Village Voice_03b.JPG
Village Voice, November 25, 1981

Ironically, in the same literary review was an ad for the Goldman book, on sale for only $9.95 at Barnes & Noble!

811125_Village Voice_04.JPG

Brighter days were ahead, although we didn't know it then.

Great topic!

Very true, although I suspect that Goldman would be LIVID that no-one has deemed him interesting or important enough to write a biography about. If Goldman were around today, I'm pretty sure we would also have rancid biographies on Michael Jackson, Kurt Cobain etc.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:52 am

sundial77 wrote:If Goldman were around today, I'm pretty sure we would also have rancid biographies on Michael Jackson, Kurt Cobain etc.

Very likely indeed, with the key issue being that his subjects are deceased, so no defamation suits may be brought.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:35 am

A truly engaging and interesting topic Doc, one that I can still remember with such clarity, as the book itself brought me close to revulsion and near shame for being an Elvis fan. Ya, the book hurt. I was in high school at the time and it was quite a big deal (or my friends made it a big deal, as I had for years prior to the Goldman book professed my undying devotion to all things Presley). My teachers at the time, without having read the book, were all in agreement. "Buddy Holly to me was the greater star of the time and had more talent" "Elvis just copied from black rhythm and blues performers" and on and on.

It was a very lonely time for me in high school. I realized I truly stood apart from the student body-they were either oblivious or did not care about Elvis, his legacy or his role in music and pop culture. This book was their bible.

Fortunately for me, I kept listening. I heard the truth that came from each vinyl record I played in my basement. One day, a local am talk radio host was having Albert Goldman on his show for a chat and call in at 11:30 pm. I called in that night, had my 4 minutes with Mr. Goldman. To Albert's credit he heard me as well...a polite, 15 year old who was sincere (if not ignorant I am sure he also thought). I told him that I read his book (true). And I also returned it for a full refund, telling the cashier it was the worst thing I had ever read and I was offended by it (also true, I got my money back). He was amused by this anecdote. I was a kid at the time, with a cursory understanding of Elvis and his importance in pop culture. I may have even compared Elvis with Lincoln (lol, don't laugh I was an idealist at one point). I was nice on the phone, Goldman stated that " if you choose to still idolize Elvis after the facts have been presented, then that's fine" or something to that effect. He saved his wrath for other calls who simply called him "the devil" and then would hang up. "That just shows their mentality" he said of one caller. Folks I swear to you, I taped my exchange with Goldman, and most of the 45 minute call in program. If I ever find it I will get it onto youtube for all of us to listen.

JosephC

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:41 am

rjm wrote:Albert Goldman, 1967, in a CBS Reports special - he comes in at 46:10, with opposing views by Gore Vidal.

rjm

poormadpeter wrote:I'll look at the link later, but I still stand by what I said - Goldman's comment on communing with young men was not homophobic. It may have been libellous, although the comment only accuses Presley of gay acts if you happen to read it that way - I certainly didn't when I read it. For it to be homophobic, it would have had to have been attacking homosexuals or the homosexual way of life.

Well, gosh then, look at it now! You'll see . . . whammo! Same guy, 1967. You should see that guy, and what he says. Really.

Seriously, this is the context of Goldman. And that CBS reports is important history, and Goldman was a part of it. Actually, they give him the literal "last word."

elvis-fan wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:For it to be homophobic, it would have had to have been attacking homosexuals or the homosexual way of life.

Homophobic or homophobia is also a fear of homosexuals usually stemming from a lack of understanding or the lack of a willingness to understand... Goldman would have made a great Nazi... perhaps Hitler was one of his idols???

Hi, elvis-fan. You must not have seen George Takei's tweet about homophobia being about "fear." It's hilarious! And true. (You will have to look it up, as this is a family forum, and he uses a very naughty word. ;) )

rjm

Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:33 am

rjm wrote:
rjm wrote:Albert Goldman, 1967, in a CBS Reports special - he comes in at 46:10, with opposing views by Gore Vidal.

rjm

poormadpeter wrote:I'll look at the link later, but I still stand by what I said - Goldman's comment on communing with young men was not homophobic. It may have been libellous, although the comment only accuses Presley of gay acts if you happen to read it that way - I certainly didn't when I read it. For it to be homophobic, it would have had to have been attacking homosexuals or the homosexual way of life.

Well, gosh then, look at it now! You'll see . . . whammo! Same guy, 1967. You should see that guy, and what he says. Really.

It is a foolish person who makes sweeping declarations without viewing this documentary.

I watched the CBS Reports Special, which originally aired on March 7, 1967. Professor Goldman makes it very clear he considers "the homosexuals" part and parcel with the "subversion, toward the final erosion, of our traditional cultural values." His comments about women are equally prejudiced and offensive.

Again, what a surprise. It is no wonder we see more of these fear-mongering, marginalizing and repressive philosophies just 14 years later, in Elvis.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:25 pm

JosephC wrote:A truly engaging and interesting topic Doc, one that I can still remember with such clarity, as the book itself brought me close to revulsion and near shame for being an Elvis fan. Ya, the book hurt. I was in high school at the time and it was quite a big deal (or my friends made it a big deal, as I had for years prior to the Goldman book professed my undying devotion to all things Presley). My teachers at the time, without having read the book, were all in agreement. "Buddy Holly to me was the greater star of the time and had more talent" "Elvis just copied from black rhythm and blues performers" and on and on.

It was a very lonely time for me in high school. I realized I truly stood apart from the student body-they were either oblivious or did not care about Elvis, his legacy or his role in music and pop culture. This book was their bible.

Fortunately for me, I kept listening. I heard the truth that came from each vinyl record I played in my basement. One day, a local am talk radio host was having Albert Goldman on his show for a chat and call in at 11:30 pm. I called in that night, had my 4 minutes with Mr. Goldman. To Albert's credit he heard me as well...a polite, 15 year old who was sincere (if not ignorant I am sure he also thought). I told him that I read his book (true). And I also returned it for a full refund, telling the cashier it was the worst thing I had ever read and I was offended by it (also true, I got my money back). He was amused by this anecdote. I was a kid at the time, with a cursory understanding of Elvis and his importance in pop culture. I may have even compared Elvis with Lincoln (lol, don't laugh I was an idealist at one point). I was nice on the phone, Goldman stated that " if you choose to still idolize Elvis after the facts have been presented, then that's fine" or something to that effect. He saved his wrath for other calls who simply called him "the devil" and then would hang up. "That just shows their mentality" he said of one caller. Folks I swear to you, I taped my exchange with Goldman, and most of the 45 minute call in program. If I ever find it I will get it onto youtube for all of us to listen.

JosephC

Please do. Great post.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:01 pm

wasn't goldman himself a homosexual? :?

Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:37 pm

I'm not sure if this has been posted before....Here's Albert on UK Tv discussing his latest book on Elvis(or trying to)

phpBB [video]

I am re-reading the Lennon book by Goldman after many years at the moment. It is full of contradictions as Phillip Norman states to Goldman in the clip above.
So far the vitriol towards Lennon in his book is nowhere near as bad as his hatred for Elvis in his. Goldman has digs at E throughout the Lennon book; he even has a chapter in the Lennon book entitled Fat Elvis!!! Where he states 1965 was Lennon's "fat Elvis period". Goldman quotes this throughout the book but attributes the quote to no-one...certainly not Lennon.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:17 pm

YDKM wrote:wasn't goldman himself a homosexual? :?

There is no proof of this, to my knowledge, and I'm not sure what it would prove if he were. That said, I'm sure a psychologist or psychiatrist could tell us a lot about Goldman's sex life from what appears to be an obsession with Elvis's private parts during the book!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:38 pm

daylon wrote:I'm not sure if this has been posted before....Here's Albert on UK Tv discussing his latest book on Elvis(or trying to)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9LQXbgOeWw

Many times. See these earlier topics for some excellent comments on this video:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52684

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53130&p=764313&#p764313

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60231&p=894305&#p894305

Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:15 pm

daylon wrote:...Goldman has digs at E throughout the Lennon book; he even has a chapter in the Lennon book entitled Fat Elvis!!! Where he states 1965 was Lennon's "fat Elvis period". Goldman quotes this throughout the book but attributes the quote to no-one...certainly not Lennon.

John did indeed refer to a time in his career as his "fat Elvis period," daylon.
It's from an interview he gave with Playboy magazine in 1980 [see quote in context below].

"I was eating and drinking like a pig and I was fat as a pig, dissatisfied with myself, and subconsciously I was crying for help. I think everything comes out in the songs. ...
"When Help! came out, I was actually crying out for help. Most people think it's just a fast rock 'n' roll song. I didn't realize it at the time; I just wrote the song because I was commissioned to write it for the movie. But later, I knew I was really crying out for help. So it was my fat Elvis period. You see the movie: He -- I -- is very fat, very insecure, and he's completely lost himself. And I am singing about when I was so much younger and all the rest, looking back at how easy it was.
"

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:28 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
daylon wrote:I'm not sure if this has been posted before....Here's Albert on UK Tv discussing his latest book on Elvis(or trying to)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9LQXbgOeWw

Many times. See these earlier topics for some excellent comments on this video:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52684

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53130&p=764313&#p764313

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60231&p=894305&#p894305

elvisalisellers wrote:
daylon wrote:...Goldman has digs at E throughout the Lennon book; he even has a chapter in the Lennon book entitled Fat Elvis!!! Where he states 1965 was Lennon's "fat Elvis period". Goldman quotes this throughout the book but attributes the quote to no-one...certainly not Lennon.

John did indeed refer to a time in his career as his "fat Elvis period," daylon.
It's from an interview he gave with Playboy magazine in 1980 [see quote in context below].

"I was eating and drinking like a pig and I was fat as a pig, dissatisfied with myself, and subconsciously I was crying for help. I think everything comes out in the songs. ...
"When Help! came out, I was actually crying out for help. Most people think it's just a fast rock 'n' roll song. I didn't realize it at the time; I just wrote the song because I was commissioned to write it for the movie. But later, I knew I was really crying out for help. So it was my fat Elvis period. You see the movie: He -- I -- is very fat, very insecure, and he's completely lost himself. And I am singing about when I was so much younger and all the rest, looking back at how easy it was.
"

Thanks guys

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:29 pm

It was a long time ago I read this book, but I seem to remember a few pages about a Las Vegas season, where someone suggested some changes like a flag (southern) coming down when Trilogy was performed and Elvis seemed to be embarrassed about that. Was that true and in that case, which season. Goldman also wrote that they tried a disco version of the opening riff. I have never heard a disco version. Was that untrue or have I missed someting?

Kind regards!

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:03 pm

dreambear wrote:It was a long time ago I read this book, but I seem to remember a few pages about a Las Vegas season, where someone suggested some changes like a flag (southern) coming down when Trilogy was performed and Elvis seemed to be embarrassed about that. Was that true and in that case, which season. Goldman also wrote that they tried a disco version of the opening riff. I have never heard a disco version. Was that untrue or have I missed someting?

Kind regards!

Some of these silly ideas were apparently tried at the August 1973 season. Goldman gleefully included them in his book to help make Presley look like an idiot with no control or concern about his performance.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:27 pm

dreambear wrote:It was a long time ago I read this book, but I seem to remember a few pages about a Las Vegas season, where someone suggested some changes like a flag (southern) coming down when Trilogy was performed and Elvis seemed to be embarrassed about that. Was that true and in that case, which season. Goldman also wrote that they tried a disco version of the opening riff. I have never heard a disco version. Was that untrue or have I missed someting?

Kind regards!

They did the "Disco 2001" on Opening Night, August 1973.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Thank´s Doc & Jock! I seem to remember that flag on some picture. Is/was opening night available on any import CD?

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:36 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:

"

TRUE, John even summed up Elvis as Fat while answering some fan' questions...

http://gothamist.com/2011/12/17/john_le ... n_list.php

http://www.openculture.com/2011/12/john ... elvis.html

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:32 pm

dreambear wrote:Thank´s Doc & Jock! I seem to remember that flag on some picture. Is/was opening night available on any import CD?

Among others, the 8-06-1973 OS appears on this CD:

Fire In Vegas (Peaf, 1993)
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/fireinve.html

If you have RealAudio Player, you can here Joe Guercio's revamped "Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra" from this show:
http://jordans-elvis-world.com/audio/fire/1.ram

Thanks to Ciscoking and Jordan for the link.