Welcome to the new server! *UPDATED 01/14/17*

This section is to discuss forum related matters. Per guidelines, disciplinary actions taken against member(s) past and present will not be discussed.
We understand some discussion may become heated, but all we ask is that you remain civil at all times. This forum is meant to give you, the member, an outlet to discuss how we can improve the forum in many different ways. Therefore, it is to be used to come up with solutions - not cause more problems!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Registered for: 21 years
Mood:

Re: 08/26/2012: Welcome to the new server (2014: current ser

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Unregistered "Guest" users will not be able to view the main forums for the next couple weeks at the most.
This is being done due to a threat received against the network of the server where fecc resides.
Whilst the threat, most likely, is not credible - certain extra safety precautions are being taken anyway to ensure that the traffic/bandwidth to this site is not hindered in any way.

All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

fecc-mechanic wrote:Unregistered "Guest" users will not be able to view the main forums for the next couple weeks at the most.
This is being done due to a threat received against the network of the server where fecc resides.
Whilst the threat, most likely, is not credible - certain extra safety precautions are being taken anyway to ensure that the traffic/bandwidth to this site is not hindered in any way.
Thank you. You always seems to have our backs secured :D

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

fecc-mechanic wrote:Unregistered "Guest" users will not be able to view the main forums for the next couple weeks at the most.
Thank you, fecc-mechanic!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Re: 08/26/2012: Welcome to the new server (2015: current ser

Post by fecc-mechanic »

The issues with "Slow posting" via both the forum and tapatalk should now be corrected.
Report here, if you still experience issues.

Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Re: 08/26/2012: Welcome to the new server (2015: current ser

Post by promiseland »

fecc-mechanic wrote:The issues with "Slow posting" via both the forum and tapatalk should now be corrected.
Report here, if you still experience issues.
The forum is lightning fast on my end.
Thanks Jordan!

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Re: Welcome to the new server ***UPDATED 10/14/1

Post by fecc-mechanic »

We have successfully moved to the new server.
There appears to have been absolutely no data lost. However, I apologize for the length of time it took to get back up and running.
But considering close to 100gb for this site alone was transfered in under 4 hours, I'd say that isn't too bad. :)
As always, if you notice any "bugs" feel free to respond here - or send me a PM.
But most of all, enjoy the faster speeds of the forum!

Some specs of the hardware of the server housing FECC for the nerds/geeks among us (of which I'm one)

*FECC Server Specs:
  • Opteron Octacore (6 core) Processor
    32GB DDR3 RAM
    1GBPS network link
    3TB SATA3 Storage x2 (in a RAID1 array - which means disk one is automatically and constantly mirrored to disk two in case disk one fails)
Further disk arrays are strategically placed worldwide in "minor mirror servers" - to improve latency - no matter what corner of the earth you are from.

To further protect data, backups now automatically occur multiple times a day to our brand new backup server #3 housed in the same facility as the FECC server. There is now a 7 day data retention of all backups of the FECC site/forum. This comes in handy if, during a catastrophe, I needed to "cherry pick" resources from multiple days - going 7 days back. Previously, due to storage limits, we had limited data retention.

*Backup Server #3 Specs:
  • i3 Dual Core Processor
    8GB RAM
    100Mbps network link
    2TB Main storage Array

Jordan

ImageImage

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Re: Welcome to the new server! *UPDATED 10/14/16*

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Please note that Verizon is not currently accepting emails sent via the forum. If you have a verizon email address as your forum email - you may consider changing it until this is resolved. Otherwise, you will not receive any notifications.

Jordan

ImageImage

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

Definitely faster for me. Cool.

Scarre

New server

Post by Scarre »

Thank you, fecc-mechanic (and anybody else that might have been involved)!
Had to create this new topic...for some reason I can´t quote or postreply in your original thread.
Anyway, thanks again.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Re: New server

Post by TINML »

I second that! Thanks to FECC staff that has given us a great meeting place and free of charge with no ads, very generous. And to those mods that volunteer their time to keep the board in order.

It's very much appreciated !

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

r&b

Post by r&b »

I am no longer getting email notifications on topics I commented on. Is this part of the new server?

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

r&b wrote:I am no longer getting email notifications on topics I commented on. Is this part of the new server?
There's something about that posted by the mechanic in the section at the top r&b.

Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

Yes, thank you!

drjohncarpenter

Scarre wrote:Thank you, fecc-mechanic (and anybody else that might have been involved)!
Had to create this new topic...for some reason I can´t quote or postreply in your original thread.
Anyway, thanks again.
Ditto that.

fecc-mechanic is a true fan, on many levels!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Thank you everyone, VERY much!

The process went really smoothly this go around. I try to do this at least every four years as a precaution, to ensure we are always running on the most up to date hardware.

To say that the planning for this migration began in 2012 shortly after the last migration would not be that far of a stretch. If something had gone wrong, I had a plan B, C, D, and E all lined up and ready to go.

If you can recall in 2012, we had a period (for some folks, 48-72 hours!) after the migration where the site appeared completely down (i.e. the dreaded "site cannot be found" message).

To circumvent that this time around, I utilized a very "cutting edge" method of DNS transfer that resulted in a 2 MINUTE (while most saw 30 seconds, or 0 seconds) DNS downtime. It really was a seamless move.

R&B, King Volcano is correct.
One service provider is being... Something... They are being difficult at this time. As soon as it is resolved, you will begin to get notifications to your email again. In the meantime, you can change your forum associated email address to something other than that particular provider. I highly suggest anyone with that particular provider to do the same (see a few posts up for more info).

And as always, if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this, or any other technical issue - feel free to pm or email me (address in my signature).

Jordan

ImageImage

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

I honestly think everyone using this site could reply with a thank you...it's not too much to ask for.
Jordan, if you don't mind me asking...how many hours would you say that this process from the start to finish took...including planning and everything?

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Scarre wrote: Jordan, if you don't mind me asking...how many hours would you say that this process from the start to finish took...including planning and everything?
From planning to implementation, I wouldn't know where to begin. None-the-less, a figure in the hundreds of hours would be most accurate.
Then again, it is definitely an ongoing process of chasing and then correcting "bugs" that are bound to appear - no matter how well-planned the initial migration is.

Jordan

ImageImage

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Scarre wrote: Jordan, if you don't mind me asking...how many hours would you say that this process from the start to finish took...including planning and everything?
From planning to implementation, I wouldn't know where to begin. None-the-less, a figure in the hundreds of hours would be most accurate.
Then again, it is definitely an ongoing process of chasing and then correcting "bugs" that are bound to appear - no matter how well-planned the initial migration is.
Wow...just wow. Thank you indeed.

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by When In Rome »

Thank you. You are truly a gift that keeps on giving. It is much appreciated...

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Hi Jordan... just an FYI... I'm not sure if others are experiencing this but lately there has been a lot of hang time between posting, waiting for posts to come up and going to other pages within the forum. It might just be a time of day / traffic thing but its been happening the past few days. Just thought you should know. Take care!!!

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

elvis-fan wrote:Hi Jordan... just an FYI... I'm not sure if others are experiencing this but lately there has been a lot of hang time between posting, waiting for posts to come up and going to other pages within the forum. It might just be a time of day / traffic thing but its been happening the past few days. Just thought you should know. Take care!!!
Thank you, sir for the report. Is it sporadic, as far as when it is occurring - or during specific times/parts of the day? Lately we have been having quite an influx of people visiting, so continuous tweaks are being made. But your, and other reports are helpful in indicating if further more aggressive tweaks are needed.

Jordan

ImageImage

drjohncarpenter

fecc-mechanic wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Hi Jordan... just an FYI... I'm not sure if others are experiencing this but lately there has been a lot of hang time between posting, waiting for posts to come up and going to other pages within the forum. It might just be a time of day / traffic thing but its been happening the past few days. Just thought you should know. Take care!!!
Thank you, sir for the report. Is it sporadic, as far as when it is occurring - or during specific times/parts of the day? Lately we have been having quite an influx of people visiting, so continuous tweaks are being made. But your, and other reports are helpful in indicating if further more aggressive tweaks are needed.
Is the "Tiger Man" topic getting people excited all over again?

:D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

It just may be! Something has gotten alot of people's attention.

Jordan

ImageImage

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

@elvis-fan
Let me know if this issue is now resolved/a little better for you.

Jordan

ImageImage