Off Topic Messages

The Beatles Bible

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:24 pm

This is a message for Dr John Carpenter. I can't seem to send private messages, possibly as my account is new, so I'll do this publicly.

Hi John. I run a website called The Beatles Bible. I've had a few people get in touch with me trying to get hold of you, as for some reason you've got my website listed in your profile on this forum.

It's clearly causing confusion, and I worry that more people might think you are responsible for or connected to my site (which is very much a one-man operation, and that man is me). Would you consider removing the web address from your profile? I cannot field questions about Elvis on your behalf.

For everyone else, please ignore the current contact information on Dr John's profile - you cannot contact him via the Beatles Bible website.

Thanks for your attention.

Joe
http://www.beatlesbible.com

Re: The Beatles Bible

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Nice site Joe

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:15 pm

beatlesbible wrote:This is a message for Dr John Carpenter. I can't seem to send private messages, possibly as my account is new, so I'll do this publicly.

Hi John. I run a website called The Beatles Bible. I've had a few people get in touch with me trying to get hold of you, as for some reason you've got my website listed in your profile on this forum.

It's clearly causing confusion, and I worry that more people might think you are responsible for or connected to my site (which is very much a one-man operation, and that man is me). Would you consider removing the web address from your profile? I cannot field questions about Elvis on your behalf.

For everyone else, please ignore the current contact information on Dr John's profile - you cannot contact him via the Beatles Bible website.

Joe

I listed the URL there simply because it is one of my favorite web sites. It is not specifically meant to imply ownership of said location.

I have removed the link:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:40 am

beatlesbible wrote:This is a message for Dr John Carpenter. I can't seem to send private messages, possibly as my account is new, so I'll do this publicly.

Joe

Impressive stuff. I'm now a Beatle fan for life.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I listed the URL there simply because it is one of my favorite web sites. It is not specifically meant to imply ownership of said location.

I have removed the link:

Hi John. Thanks for that. I realised you weren't passing it off as your own, but the profile pages on this forum seem to mark any given URL as a contact for that person - hence the confusion.

Anyway, I'm glad you like the site! Keep up the good work here. If you want to drop me an email (joe at beatlesbible dot com) I'll forward you the messages I've been sent from people trying to contact you (I think I still have two of them).

Joe

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:43 pm

cant wait to get the extended edition of Tune-In! should be awesome!

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:14 am

Well, it's a cool site! I have learned much I didn't know before. I kind of doubted John was officially involved, as he's he's pretty busy in these parts. But he's an ardent Beatles fan, and I think he introduced a lot of Elvis fans to some top-drawer information about ... the, uh, other fellas! ;) Viva The Lads!

Wish I could catch the "Elvis and US" exhibit in Britain, but I know folks who have been, and it's wonderful.

All the best from an Elvis fan!
Love Is All You Need,
rjm

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:45 pm

beatlesbible wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I listed the URL there simply because it is one of my favorite web sites. It is not specifically meant to imply ownership of said location.

I have removed the link:

Hi John. Thanks for that. I realised you weren't passing it off as your own, but the profile pages on this forum seem to mark any given URL as a contact for that person - hence the confusion.

Anyway, I'm glad you like the site! Keep up the good work here. If you want to drop me an email (joe at beatlesbible dot com) I'll forward you the messages I've been sent from people trying to contact you (I think I still have two of them).

Joe

Will do!

Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:56 am

Just been there again, and there's something I would like to share. I found some tweets, and there's a a fellow called @beatleMAL , an account in tribute to Malcolm Evans, Elvis's most favorite "Beatle"! It's a new stage play about him and his friendship with the Lads. Elvis never forgot him after the meeting. He also, in a 1969 interview, delightedly described Mal's scene in "Help" where he's swimming.

Might be fun or enlightening to check out another "Mal-fan," as Elvis was!

The Internet is so deeply layered; never know what you'll find.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:14 pm

rjm wrote:
Wish I could catch the "Elvis and US" exhibit in Britain, but I know folks who have been, and it's wonderful.

I've been there and it certainly is.
I'd post some pics but the doc doesn't like that.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:45 pm

javilu wrote:
rjm wrote:

Then we wont tell him that you posted them, Post them and be damned :wink: .

Alan.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Chad Gates wrote:
javilu wrote:
rjm wrote:

Then we wont tell him that you posted them, Post them and be damned :wink: .

Alan.

LOL, thanks Alan.

(These are just a selection, too much to post!)

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks for the photos, Javi. I wish I could see this exhibit !

A couple of comments :

--Those shoes, are probably the ones he's wearing in those great September 1954 pics taken in Memphis (Katz Drugstore opening) :

540909 a.jpg

540909 b.jpg

--It's strange that the acetate for the first album includes the LSP prefix on the label. If this was given to him before release, shouldn't that be LPM ? It looks like the LSP prefix wasn't used for this album until 1962 :

http://www.elvisrecords.us/lsp-1254-e-elvis-presley/

--The "Love Me Tender" acetate - anybody knows what those "D.S." numbers mean ? Are those take numbers ?

--I didn't know The Beatles had covered "True Love" and "Wooden Heart" in their live concerts.

Thanks again, Javi !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:10 pm

You're welcome Mister Moon!
Luck has it I'll be in England for a couple of days in early February again.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:47 pm

4 out of 15, you show remarkable restraint. ;-)

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks for counting, John!
Have a great week :)

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:25 am

That's the first time I've ever seen the Tree demo for "Heartbreak Hotel": thank you for posting this.

Is this Elvis' own copy as played to him by Axton?

Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:23 am

Thanks! Brought us a little closer to this awesome exhibition! Wish I could see it.

(In the Cape Stance, you must completely overextend your ankle!)

rjm

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:46 pm

rjm wrote:Thanks! Brought us a little closer to this awesome exhibition! Wish I could see it.

(In the Cape Stance, you must completely overextend your ankle!)

rjm

You're welcome and don't underestimate my physical abilities :P

Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:16 am

George Smith wrote:That's the first time I've ever seen the Tree demo for "Heartbreak Hotel": thank you for posting this.

Is this Elvis' own copy as played to him by Axton?

I doubt it.

This exhibition has issues, which makes one question the authenticity of its artifacts.

For example, the 1955 Tree demo acetate you speak of was not "sent to Elvis prior to his January 1956 RCA recording session amongst other acetates for Elvis to listen to and decide which songs he wanted to record."

Mae Boren Axton had already given Presley a copy of the "Heartbreak Hotel" demo on November 10/11, 1955 at a Nashville DJ convention, and the singer incorporated it into his set no later than December 9. The copy on display also looks to be unplayed.

Also, IIRC, John Lennon never said "Without Elvis there would be no Beatles." The famous bandleader's quote, used elsewhere by the people handling the exhibit, was "Before Elvis there was nothing."

Finally, the reversed, blown-up images from Tupelo '56 and Burbank '68 are kind of embarrassing. Elvis was not a left-handed guitarist.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:20 am

Thanks John for commenting on the pics.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Also, IIRC, John Lennon never said "Without Elvis there would be no Beatles." The famous bandleader's quote, used elsewhere by the people handling the exhibit, was "Before Elvis there was nothing."

There's only one person in the United States we ever wanted to meet ... not that he wanted us. And we met him last night. We can't tell you how we felt. We just idolised him so much. ... You can't imagine what a thrill that was last night. Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been an Elvis, there wouldn't have been the Beatles.

Statement (28 August 1965) after meeting Elvis Presley, as quoted in The Leading Men of MGM (2005) by Jane Ellen Wayne, p. 386; also partly quoted in The Beatles : The Authorized Biography (1968) by Hunter Davies, p. 19

Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:24 am

javilu wrote:Thanks John for commenting on the pics.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Also, IIRC, John Lennon never said "Without Elvis there would be no Beatles." The famous bandleader's quote, used elsewhere by the people handling the exhibit, was "Before Elvis there was nothing."

There's only one person in the United States we ever wanted to meet ... not that he wanted us. And we met him last night. We can't tell you how we felt. We just idolised him so much. ... You can't imagine what a thrill that was last night. Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been an Elvis, there wouldn't have been the Beatles.

Statement (28 August 1965) after meeting Elvis Presley, as quoted in The Leading Men of MGM (2005) by Jane Ellen Wayne, p. 386; also partly quoted in The Beatles : The Authorized Biography (1968) by Hunter Davies, p. 19

The URL for that information is:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Lennon#Quotes

The wiki page proves that neither Lennon quote in that exhibit is correct, further underscoring my concerns about the veracity of their items.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
javilu wrote:Thanks John for commenting on the pics.

The URL for that information is:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Lennon#Quotes

The wiki page proves that neither Lennon quote in that exhibit is correct, further underscoring my concerns about the veracity of their items.

Sintax was changed but the message is the same.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks Javi,cool pics

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks Javilu, great stuff.