BIG SMART TV!!!!!!!!!

burning, ripping, decoding ,codec'', etc..
Moderators: promiseland/JimmyCool

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator2

Forum rules
Forum rules
Note: Before any posting relating to Software is done in this Forum & FECC as whole. ALL SOFTWARE must be Legal in accordance to Copyrights and Licensing per Vender . If we become aware, the material you are linking or trading is Illegal for all to see. Your thread, post and Account will be removed by FECC immediately ! What you do in private between members is of course, No concern of ours.

BIG SMART TV!!!!!!!!!

Postby rjm » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:00 am

Been putting away for this for the longest time! Since I got that little "Insignia" thing, I wanted a set I could actually SEE! The sizes of sets are not like they used to be, because they are rectangular, so you need a bigger set than you had before to even see it. So, I didn't want to go to the high 40s, and certainly not into the 50s, but the really decent ones that are "SMART" seem to start at 46. And I can read the web browser in it! It's a Samsung. New model.

Well, it has 3-D. Don't know the diff. btw "active" or otherwise, but will see. They give you glasses. Picked up Lincoln, which has all formats - so it can play on any machine, and even has a digital file for one's computer. My first Blu-Ray! I done broke my blu-berry. :smt004

Anyway, I already logged in here on the BIG THING, but didn't post. (I did post on Facebook. Wow!) I watched a Tom Jones video from here, and it went to full screen, and it was amazing! EVERYTHING about it is amazing! But . . . they make you pay extra for EVERYTHING. It comes with this little bluetooth remote, and yet it has a web browser. Found out you can buy a special bluetooth full-size keyboard remote for it, which I did, after they installed it. Also, they needed an extra HDMI cable for the Blu-Ray player. So, with everything, it sure added up. I'll be digging out for a while, but it sure is worth it!

Gosh, my old CRT up there was making crackling noises (the plastic housing) all night long, increasingly, to the point where I could no longer sleep. It was big for a CRT type set. I wanted to go for a smaller set, but if you want the "smart" features, and with this special keyboard remote, there's no choice: gotta go to 46 inches. My eyes need it anyway.

So, I probably won't be surfing on a Kindle Paperwhite at night . . . just reading, nothing else. (The browser isn't a fast browser, but that it's there at all . . . wow!)

I have to download all the "apps" and register it with Amazon Instant Video. So there's much work to do. And I have a busy workday tomorrow, and a root canal on Thursday. So, while I'm eating mashed potatoes on Friday, I have ENTERTAINMENT!!!

Congratulations to me! :D

Is there anything I don't know about this stuff that I maybe should know?

rjm
"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Topic author

Re: BIG SMART TV!!!!!!!!!

Postby drjohncarpenter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:12 am

Time to cue up that widescreen DVD of "Clambake"!
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
drjohncarpenter

Postby rjm » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Time to cue up that widescreen DVD of "Clambake"!

Oh, I forgot! A MUST-SEE!

:smt005

rjm (Gotta get up there, and mess around with it - yeah, I'd like a human being to mess around with in bed, but this will do just fine! :smt007 )
"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Topic author

Postby rjm » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 am

First FECC from BIG TV! You cannot BELIEVE what you all look like from here! WOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!! No carriage returns yet. I have to learn this thing. ::rocks rjm
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Topic author

Postby Elfan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Congratulations RJM it sounds terrific. I'd love a new 'smart' TV..................probably not this year though!
Elfan

Postby promiseland » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:06 am

Welcome to 2013 rjm!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
promiseland

Postby BrianTCB » Mon May 06, 2013 12:06 am

Awesome!! Congrats!!! Eventually I will upgrade to a Samsung 46" SMART TV. I have a VIZIO 42" 240hz TV and the picture is just stunning.

I can't imagine what Elvis On Tour, That's The Way It Is, Jailhouse Rock, King Creole, or Clambake will look like on a Samsung 46".

Sounds like you're healing from the root canal quite well.
BrianTCB

Postby promiseland » Mon May 06, 2013 12:41 am

BrianTCB wrote:Awesome!! Congrats!!! Eventually I will upgrade to a Samsung 46" SMART TV. I have a VIZIO 42" 240hz TV and the picture is just stunning.

I can't imagine what Elvis On Tour, That's The Way It Is, Jailhouse Rock, King Creole, or Clambake will look like on a Samsung 46".

240hz makes a huge difference in motion smoothness, most flat screens on average are 120hz.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

promiseland

Postby rjm » Mon May 06, 2013 2:40 am

promiseland wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:Awesome!! Congrats!!! Eventually I will upgrade to a Samsung 46" SMART TV. I have a VIZIO 42" 240hz TV and the picture is just stunning.

240hz makes a huge difference in motion smoothness, most flat screens on average are 120hz.

Mine is 120. And I saw the true HD version of 1969's Midnight Cowboy last night, and my eyeballs almost fell out of my head! It's 46 inches, and it streamed in, stunningly. (You can pause it, then finish another night.)

Anyway, I read some debate about the refresh rate, and decided to go with the 120hz. Perhaps there is a big difference, but what I saw last night, in this old movie, was just mind-blowing. It felt like time-travel: there I was in the New York City of the 1960s, as though I was back in childhood! It was all so REAL-looking! Beyond anything I expected! You can't even compare it to anything else!

I think if you are going to get a set that is 55" or bigger, you would definitely go with the 240. Absolutely. And with 7.1 surround, now. But that's a full home theater set-up. It's also a financial decision, with a sub-50" set: cost/benefit analysis.

Meanwhile, my 46" SMART Samsung, 120hz, is out of this world! This is now an "old" movie, and it was just magical! Magical.

And I have used YouTube Leanback, which is kinda cool. You activate it through a link with your phone, enter a code, and you chose the vid you want to watch on your phone, and it appears on the big screen. Dynamite for HD videos and concerts!

As far as the refresh rate, perhaps this make and model is a cut above, and that's why it's so good.

rjm

P.S. --
Oh, yeah, about the root canal: he refused to do it, and wants to pull my tooth! NO! :evil: I am seeking other opinions. I have no pain with it; it's the x-ray. Thank you for asking.
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Topic author

Postby promiseland » Mon May 06, 2013 4:18 am

rjm wrote:
promiseland wrote:

Mine is 120. And I saw the true HD version of 1969's Midnight Cowboy last night, and my eyeballs almost fell out of my head! It's 46 inches, and it streamed in, stunningly. (You can pause it, then finish another night.)

Anyway, I read some debate about the refresh rate, and decided to go with the 120hz. Perhaps there is a big difference, but what I saw last night, in this old movie, was just mind-blowing. It felt like time-travel: there I was in the New York City of the 1960s, as though I was back in childhood! It was all so REAL-looking! Beyond anything I expected! You can't even compare it to anything else!

I think if you are going to get a set that is 55" or bigger, you would definitely go with the 240. Absolutely. And with 7.1 surround, now. But that's a full home theater set-up. It's also a financial decision, with a sub-50" set: cost/benefit analysis.

Meanwhile, my 46" SMART Samsung, 120hz, is out of this world! This is now an "old" movie, and it was just magical! Magical.

And I have used YouTube Leanback, which is kinda cool. You activate it through a link with your phone, enter a code, and you chose the vid you want to watch on your phone, and it appears on the big screen. Dynamite for HD videos and concerts!

As far as the refresh rate, perhaps this make and model is a cut above, and that's why it's so good.

rjm

P.S. --
Oh, yeah, about the root canal: he refused to do it, and wants to pull my tooth! NO! :evil: I am seeking other opinions. I have no pain with it; it's the x-ray. Thank you for asking.

If you're that happy with 120hz, 240hz Tru-Motion and Motion2 Ultra will blow you away!

promiseland

Postby rjm » Mon May 06, 2013 5:59 am

promiseland wrote:
rjm wrote:
promiseland wrote:

rjm

P.S. --

If you're that happy with 120hz, 240hz Tru-Motion and Motion2 Ultra will blow you away!

Something to look forward to!

Anyway. This is the set. Not bought on-line, though. But this is the set. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46F6400-46-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00BCGRS8S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1367808951&sr=8-8&keywords=46+inch+samsung+led+tv#productDetails

I added the Blu-Ray, sound bar w/subwoofer, and the full keyboard remote.

It rocks!

rjm
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Topic author

Postby promiseland » Mon May 06, 2013 6:27 am

That model there is one kick ass set! It also uses Auto Motion Plus which makes Blu-rays almost look live with it's Native Resolution 1920 x 1080 .
You picked a great TV rjm! :smt023

promiseland

Postby rjm » Mon May 06, 2013 6:30 am

promiseland wrote:That model there is one kick ass set! It also uses Auto Motion Plus which makes Blu-rays almost look live with it's Native Resolution 1920 x 1080 .
You picked a great TV rjm! :smt023

Hot dog! :D

rjm
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Topic author

Postby promiseland » Mon May 06, 2013 6:32 am

Have you watched any 3D on it yet? If so how does it look (Alice In Wonderland 3D Johnny Depp would be a wonderful experience on your set I'm quite sure.)

Not to mention your set has 480hz Clear Motion Rate ! And that is awesome!

promiseland

Postby rjm » Mon May 06, 2013 6:37 am

promiseland wrote:Have you watched any 3D on it yet? If so how does it look (Alice In Wonderland 3D Johnny Depp would be a wonderful experience on your set I'm quite sure.)

Not yet. Just getting around, and have a great HD "watch list" right now. That should be fun!

Gosh, even the commercials look great.

rjm
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Topic author

Postby promiseland » Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 am

rjm wrote:
promiseland wrote:Have you watched any 3D on it yet? If so how does it look (Alice In Wonderland 3D Johnny Depp would be a wonderful experience on your set I'm quite sure.)

Not yet. Just getting around, and have a great HD "watch list" right now. That should be fun!

Gosh, even the commercials look great.

rjm

Yes this helps --> 480hz Clear Motion Rate.

promiseland

Return to Software Forum