burning, ripping, decoding ,codec'', etc..
Moderators: promiseland/JimmyCool

Forum rules

Forum rules
Note: Before any posting relating to Software is done in this Forum & FECC as whole. ALL SOFTWARE must be Legal in accordance to Copyrights and Licensing per Vender . If we become aware, the material you are linking or trading is Illegal for all to see. Your thread, post and Account will be removed by FECC immediately ! What you do in private between members is of course, No concern of ours.

Do Blu-Ray Players Auto-Upscale?

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:07 pm

DVDs, I mean, of film.

I am watching the Chautauqua film (aka TTWG), and it looks "okay," but a bit grainier than I'd like. Still looks very very nice.

Is it already upscaling? Or what do I need to do?

All fine 2013 equipment. BIG SMART TV. Good Blu-Ray player. Colors are popping. Wide screen.

Anything else to do, to make it look even better?

(Sheesh, he's gorgeous!)

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Re: Do Blu-Ray Players Auto-Upscale?

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:18 pm

Grain artifacts are sometimes on the digital master. Film grain is generally too small to be encoded and seen on SD. HD has enough resolution to show almost all the film grain. This is why you are only now starting to notice it.

In some cases, a lot of grain is employed by the director to achieve a certain "look" to the film, or added to blend the effects of using HD-cam and film.
The director may use high quality film in bright daylight with normal exposure and processing for a grain-free very sharp image. If they shoot at night with reduced light and push the film via exposure and processing changes, grain will be much larger (and visible) in the dark scenes than it is in brightly lit scenes. In fact, the director may use different degrees of grain in various scenes as an artistic statement.
Just don't confuse grain with compression.

Re: Do Blu-Ray Players Auto-Upscale?

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Thanks!

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4