review of Paul Anka's 5/13 Staten Island, New York show

Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, londonflash, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

review of Paul Anka's 5/13 Staten Island, New York show

Post by elvis4life »

http://www.silive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/05/staten_island_nightlife_scenes_from_paul_ankas_st_george_show.html

Staten Island Nightlife: Paul Anka brings house down in St. George

Updated on May 19, 2017 at 2:01 PM Posted on May 19, 2017 at 12:08 PM

BY CAROL ANN BENANTI
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- He's one of a kind: There's no other way to say it!

The legendary Paul Anka brought the house down Saturday evening -- at what we'd say was a memorable Mother's Day gift, hand-delivered to the Baby Boomer Bobby Soxers who flocked to the St. George Theatre to witness Anka's genius.

And did they ever!

And though they had to wait more than a half century since "Diana," Anka's first number one hit written in 20 minutes when he was just 16 -- it was well worth it.

Paul Anka Live 2017: 'My Way,' 'Diana' at St. George Theatre:

The teen idol, who wears hats of consummate composer, musician, vocalist and actor -- and even that of comedian -- played to a sold out crowd, making his surprise entrance lovingly bobbing and weaving through the audience and belting out song after song.

He felt the love. And he loved us back.

On several occasions Anka even saw fit to fearlessly interact with the audience -- so much so that he grabbed a cell phone and crooned to a man's son who was stationed overseas.

He would then graciously select Anne Manna to dance cheek to cheek -- the Eltingville resident who's probably still on Cloud 9 each time she relates her memorable encounter to friends.

With grace and ease Anka recounted story after story of the early days of his illustrious career when he wrote the theme to the "Longest Day," in which he made a cameo appearance -- and the theme for "The Tonight Show" starring Johnny Carson.

FYI: The musical giant also composed Tom Jones's biggest hit record, "She's a Lady", and wrote the English lyrics to "My Way", Frank Sinatra's signature song.

With affection, he reminisced about cherished memories with celebrity after celebrity who referred to him as "the kid" each time they rubbed elbows -- and recalled heartwarming tales of his life in the limelight.

He referenced the Rat Pack and would chat about his days in the Vegas Sands Hotel and the Miami Beach Fountainbleu, hot spots back in the day made famous by musical giants like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.

And via a nostalgic slide show that evoked tears, he showcased Davis -- "Mr. Entertainment" himself -- and his numerous career highlights.

He went on to identify tunes that were born out of encounters with Sinatra, like "Let me Try Again," and "My Way."

Anka's would perform other mega hits from 1957 to 62 written for ABC-Paramount like, "You Are My Destiny," "Put Your Head on My Shoulder," and "Puppy Love."

In addition to teen hits, Anka also composed 1970's hits "You're Having my Baby and "I Don't Like to Sleep Alone."

In total Anka's recorded more than 124 albums and has written more than 900 tunes.

In capping his awesome performance Anka introduced his masterful musicians, and high-fived each one.

They exited the stage.

But Anka? He just stood there taking in the cheers and applause -- silently.

poormadpeter2

Re: review of Paul Anka's 5/13 Staten Island, New York show

Post by poormadpeter2 »

elvis4life wrote:http://www.silive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/05/staten_island_nightlife_scenes_from_paul_ankas_st_george_show.html

Staten Island Nightlife: Paul Anka brings house down in St. George

Updated on May 19, 2017 at 2:01 PM Posted on May 19, 2017 at 12:08 PM

BY CAROL ANN BENANTI
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- He's one of a kind: There's no other way to say it!

The legendary Paul Anka brought the house down Saturday evening -- at what we'd say was a memorable Mother's Day gift, hand-delivered to the Baby Boomer Bobby Soxers who flocked to the St. George Theatre to witness Anka's genius.

And did they ever!

And though they had to wait more than a half century since "Diana," Anka's first number one hit written in 20 minutes when he was just 16 -- it was well worth it.

Paul Anka Live 2017: 'My Way,' 'Diana' at St. George Theatre:

The teen idol, who wears hats of consummate composer, musician, vocalist and actor -- and even that of comedian -- played to a sold out crowd, making his surprise entrance lovingly bobbing and weaving through the audience and belting out song after song.

He felt the love. And he loved us back.

On several occasions Anka even saw fit to fearlessly interact with the audience -- so much so that he grabbed a cell phone and crooned to a man's son who was stationed overseas.

He would then graciously select Anne Manna to dance cheek to cheek -- the Eltingville resident who's probably still on Cloud 9 each time she relates her memorable encounter to friends.

With grace and ease Anka recounted story after story of the early days of his illustrious career when he wrote the theme to the "Longest Day," in which he made a cameo appearance -- and the theme for "The Tonight Show" starring Johnny Carson.

FYI: The musical giant also composed Tom Jones's biggest hit record, "She's a Lady", and wrote the English lyrics to "My Way", Frank Sinatra's signature song.

With affection, he reminisced about cherished memories with celebrity after celebrity who referred to him as "the kid" each time they rubbed elbows -- and recalled heartwarming tales of his life in the limelight.

He referenced the Rat Pack and would chat about his days in the Vegas Sands Hotel and the Miami Beach Fountainbleu, hot spots back in the day made famous by musical giants like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.

And via a nostalgic slide show that evoked tears, he showcased Davis -- "Mr. Entertainment" himself -- and his numerous career highlights.

He went on to identify tunes that were born out of encounters with Sinatra, like "Let me Try Again," and "My Way."

Anka's would perform other mega hits from 1957 to 62 written for ABC-Paramount like, "You Are My Destiny," "Put Your Head on My Shoulder," and "Puppy Love."

In addition to teen hits, Anka also composed 1970's hits "You're Having my Baby and "I Don't Like to Sleep Alone."

In total Anka's recorded more than 124 albums and has written more than 900 tunes.

In capping his awesome performance Anka introduced his masterful musicians, and high-fived each one.

They exited the stage.

But Anka? He just stood there taking in the cheers and applause -- silently.
124 albums? On what planet???!