Jerry Lee Lewis to open Mississippi home for tours

Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, londonflash, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by elvis4life »

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/entertainment/music/2017/04/27/jerry-lee-lewis-open-mississippi-home-tours/100972758/

Bob Mehr and Ron Maxey , The Commercial Appeal Published 12:49 p.m. CT April 27, 2017 | Updated 12:57 p.m. CT April 27, 2017

The Dad Rock team visits the Sam Phillips Recording Service in Memphis and meets his son and granddaughter. Sam Phillips discovered and produced Elvis Presely, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and many others. Steve Elfers

The Killer is once again opening his home to the public. Rock and roll legend Jerry Lee Lewis has announced that he will be offering up tours of his Nesbit, Mississippi, ranch starting this weekend.

The Lewis Ranch will be open starting Saturday, with small private group tours by appointment only taking place each Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tours are $30 per person. Ticket are available at the Lewis Ranch website, thelewisranch.com.

The ranch is at 1595 Malone Road in Nesbit, south of Memphis in DeSoto County. Lewis spends some time at the Nesbit ranch but has another home nearby where he lives with his wife Judith.

Lewis' son, Jerry Lee Lewis III, said Thursday the public tours resume a practice from the 1990s and early 2000s.

"That's when I was just a kid," Lewis III said. "It was something my mom and dad were doing, and it just kind of ended because they reached a time where they were getting a divorce, and dad wasn't able to maintain it. So he closed down and was waiting for a better time."

In a statement announcing the new tour plans, the 81-year-old Lewis said, "I love all my fans. When they look back on me I want 'em to remember me not for all my wives, although I've had a few, and certainly not for any mansions or high-livin' money I made and spent. I want 'em to remember me simply for my music."

Lewis III, who will guide some of the tours, added in the statement that the tours will give fans a deeper insight into one of rock's great wildmen, a performer “who is both rowdy and religious, famous and humble, who came from simple roots and worked hard to make it in music."

In the summer of 2016, Lewis held an estate sale and discussed plans for tours of his property. The family says that the public will be able to get a look at Lewis’ home, ranch grounds, cars, and rock and roll memorabilia as part of admission.

Although his schedule has slowed somewhat, Lewis continues to perform locally, nationally and internationally. This past New Year’s Eve he made a concert appearance at the Beale Street nightclub that bears his name, Jerry Lee Lewis’ Café & Honky-Tonk. On Friday, he will be in Indio, California, performing as part of the Stagecoach Country Music Festival.

Earlier this year, Lewis’ manager Craig Ericson said that Rock and Roll Hall of Famer was also contemplating a return to the recording studio to work on a follow up to his 2014 LP, “Rock & Roll Time.”

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Re: Jerry Lee Lewis to open Mississippi home for tours

Post by elvisjock »

"We'll now step into the bedroom where Jerry Lee's fifth wife died under mysterious circumstances.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

r&b

Re: Jerry Lee Lewis to open Mississippi home for tours

Post by r&b »

I toured his house back in 1994. It was open then for tours. I did the tour with under 10 people. At the time, we heard JLL was home and we heard his footsteps upstairs. He never did come down. The whole thing seemed a bit invasive. But we saw the piano he apparently recorded with at Sun with and his gold record hanging in his den. Also his pool was shaped like a piano. I never realized they actually stopped the tours.