Roy Orbison - One of The Lonely Ones (1969)

Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, londonflash, Site Mechanic

Topic author
charro1971
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Roy Orbison - One of The Lonely Ones (1969)

Post by charro1971 »

A brand new Roy Orbison album with never-before-heard songs has just been released. It is composed of songs that Roy recorded for MGM in early 1969, the first songs that he recorded following the tragic death of two of his sons in a house fire in September 1968. It is a terrific album with all styles of Orbison songs from the ballads like Sweet Memories and One of The Lonely Ones to the rockers like Child Woman Woman Child with a catchy guitar riff similar to Pretty Woman. The album is of a really high standard and definitely better than some of the Roy Orbison albums that MGM did release. If you are a fan of Roy Orbison or 1960s music in general, do check it out:

1 "You'll Never Walk Alone"
2 "Say No More"
3 "Leaving Makes the Rain Come Down"
4 "Sweet Memories"
5 "Laurie"
6 "One of the Lonely Ones"
7 "Child Woman, Woman Child"
8 "Give Up"
9 "The Defector"
10 "Little Girl (In the Big City)"
11 "After Tonight"
12 "I Will Always"

The album is currently at 48 on the Australian charts but it deserves to do so much better!

If anyone else has listened to the album, do share your thoughts about it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

dennyelvis
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Re: Roy Orbison - One of The Lonely Ones (1969)

Post by dennyelvis »

Watch the BBC 4 documentary coming soon of the same name, should be good .....

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

svallen
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by svallen »

Here is a BBC cd with Roy.

:smt006

Topic author
charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

dennyelvis wrote:Watch the BBC 4 documentary coming soon of the same name, should be good .....
Thanks for mentioning this. I had not heard about this. It looks really interesting... can't wait!

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

Stvimpe

Post by Stvimpe »

Thanks, Charro1971, for this update. Orbison had that unique 'angelic' and 'haunting' voice.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

"You'll Never Walk Alone" sounds incredible. Anyone know why this album remained unreleased?

Topic author
charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

Juan Luis wrote:"You'll Never Walk Alone" sounds incredible. Anyone know why this album remained unreleased?
Different people say different things. I noticed that in the documentary shown on BBC4 tonight Alex Orbison suggested that the album was considered too personal (with connotations of Roy's recent tragedies) to release. However, I think it's more to do with the fact that Roy's music started selling less well especially in the USA from 1968 onwards. Roy's contract with MGM was for three albums per year but with MGM starting to have some financial issues and with Roy's music selling less, they started scrapping some of Roy's records. Roy kept recording enough songs for his contract of 3 albums per year but MGM just chose not to release some of them. I know that there is another unreleased album from the 1969 sessions, several unreleased singles from 1971, one unreleased album from 1972 and a final unreleased album from 1973. If you're a Roy fan, there's a lot more to look forward to in terms of unreleased material. One of The Lonely Ones is merely the beginning!

Topic author
charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

The BBC4 documentary Roy Orbison One of The Lonely Ones was very well put together. It was nice to see new people being interviewed such as Joe Melson and T Bone Burnett. There was a good balance between it being about the music and about Roy himself. Roy's sons, especially Alex, always have lots of interesting stories to tell. It was also great to see some new and really rare footage (like the footage of The Teen Kings). Highly recommended. Do watch it if you get a chance!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

charro1971 wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:"You'll Never Walk Alone" sounds incredible. Anyone know why this album remained unreleased?
Different people say different things. I noticed that in the documentary shown on BBC4 tonight Alex Orbison suggested that the album was considered too personal (with connotations of Roy's recent tragedies) to release. However, I think it's more to do with the fact that Roy's music started selling less well especially in the USA from 1968 onwards. Roy's contract with MGM was for three albums per year but with MGM starting to have some financial issues and with Roy's music selling less, they started scrapping some of Roy's records. Roy kept recording enough songs for his contract of 3 albums per year but MGM just chose not to release some of them. I know that there is another unreleased album from the 1969 sessions, several unreleased singles from 1971, one unreleased album from 1972 and a final unreleased album from 1973. If you're a Roy fan, there's a lot more to look forward to in terms of unreleased material. One of The Lonely Ones is merely the beginning!
Thank you! And apologies for late reply!

nicod98
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by nicod98 »

charro1971 wrote:I know that there is another unreleased album from the 1969 sessions, several unreleased singles from 1971, one unreleased album from 1972 and a final unreleased album from 1973. If you're a Roy fan, there's a lot more to look forward to in terms of unreleased material. One of The Lonely Ones is merely the beginning!
That is surely something to look forward to... I wish he had stayed with Fred Foster & Monument instead of going to MGM, but he was one very good singer!!!

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

It's a nice album,glad I got it and it was only £3.99 INC P&P

-instagram kenh1964

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Great topic.

Hey just moments ago i have started up a POLL on Roy's unreleased album.
You can find it under CLASSIC ARTISTS section. Hoping you guys will put in your votes there, cheers...