Rick Nelson Bear Family Box Sets

Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, londonflash, Site Mechanic

poormadpeter

Re: Rick Nelson Bear Family Box Sets

Post by poormadpeter »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
javilu wrote:I find the sound on the Imperial set to be fantastic.
The Decca set is a little disappointing compared to their Ace counterparts. The sound is a little harsh to my ears and coming from bear Family, I expected better.
Same harshness is found on their Del Shannon set as well.
On the other hand, their Gene Vincent set sounds incredible.
I don't have the third Nelson set so can't comment on that one.
If you're located in the US, this site is having a Bear Family discount offer:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/bear-family-rock-and-roll-sale/b138197
I think the issue with the 2nd and 3rd Rick Nelson Bear Box Set is the mastering (engineer)... he already ruined some other box sets too :(
Lene had to go somewhere! ;)

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

poormadpeter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:
javilu wrote:I find the sound on the Imperial set to be fantastic.
The Decca set is a little disappointing compared to their Ace counterparts. The sound is a little harsh to my ears and coming from bear Family, I expected better.
Same harshness is found on their Del Shannon set as well.
On the other hand, their Gene Vincent set sounds incredible.
I don't have the third Nelson set so can't comment on that one.
If you're located in the US, this site is having a Bear Family discount offer:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/bear-family-rock-and-roll-sale/b138197
I think the issue with the 2nd and 3rd Rick Nelson Bear Box Set is the mastering (engineer)... he already ruined some other box sets too :(
Lene had to go somewhere! ;)
No, it's not a girl... even on the Steve Hoffman forum that dude is well known... well, what a dodgy reputation :wink:

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

svallen
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by svallen »

Here you can read more about the person who did the sound mastering on 3rd Ricky Nelson cd.
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/juergen-crasser-mastering-for-bear-family.175545/

:smt006

Topic author
DGRYAN1977
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by DGRYAN1977 »

svallen wrote:Here you can read more about the person who did the sound mastering on 3rd Ricky Nelson cd.
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/juergen-crasser-mastering-for-bear-family.175545/

Reading this and after listening to the same songs from other sources I can say he masters loud.
That's the problem with this box set. He mastered the songs all so loud that you can hear the hiss of the source and its a distraction. That's why most of the box set sounds like you are listening to cassette tapes.

Don

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

DGRYAN1977 wrote:
svallen wrote:Here you can read more about the person who did the sound mastering on 3rd Ricky Nelson cd.

Reading this and after listening to the same songs from other sources I can say he masters loud.
That's the problem with this box set. He mastered the songs all so loud that you can hear the hiss of the source and its a distraction. That's why most of the box set sounds like you are listening to cassette tapes.
You do not have an official copy of any of this music, and it's unclear exactly who mastered the material, so your comments aren't worth anything. If anyone actually owns these sets, and can take a peek at the credits in the deluxe book included in each box, that would be interesting to confirm who worked on them.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:

You do not have an official copy of any of this music, and it's unclear exactly who mastered the material, so your comments aren't worth anything. If anyone actually owns these sets, and can take a peek at the credits in the deluxe book included in each box, that would be interesting to confirm who worked on them.
Marc Vich is credited as mastering the final set.

Topic author
DGRYAN1977

Post by DGRYAN1977 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:

Since you seem to know it all about the music included in this box, why don't you look in yours?

Don

svallen

Post by svallen »

svallen

Post by svallen »

The end::

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

DGRYAN1977 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:

Since you seem to know it all about the music included in this box, why don't you look in yours?
I really don't think you're in a position to pushing people, considering your attitude towards them earlier in this thread.

Topic author
DGRYAN1977

Post by DGRYAN1977 »

poormadpeter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:

I really don't think you're in a position to pushing people, considering your attitude towards them earlier in this thread.
MY attitude? Ive had none what so ever. The 2 of you decided to act all "holier than thou" about my method of obtaining the box sets.
Its pretty hypocritical considering how many threads are through out this forum regarded Elvis "imports".

Don

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

DGRYAN1977 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:

MY attitude? Ive had none what so ever. The 2 of you decided to act all "holier than thou" about my method of obtaining the box sets.
Its pretty hypocritical considering how many threads are through out this forum regarded Elvis "imports".
Elvis imports are generally items not released by a legitimate company. You're downloading items that are completely legal, and then refusing to believe they were legal when you were told the facts (actually arguing they weren't legal when you'd not even bothered to check yourself) - and then trying to make your actions legit by saying they're too expensive, and under that argument you'd be in your right to download FTDs as well. No-one has been holier than thou, but arguing with the man who gave you the information in the first place is not going to win you any favours.
Last edited by poormadpeter on Fri May 29, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

I bought some Bear Family box sets and CD's that have been mastered by this specific person and I can say they all don't sound too well. Years ago I wrote Richard Weize an e-mail concerning this and he got furious and mad at me because I "insulted" his mastering engineer. That said I sold most of the ones mastered by Mr. Crasser. But he's not the only one, there's at least another guy (which name I can't recall right now), who masters this stuff way too loud. Give me back the times of good ol' Boppin' Bob Jones.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

poormadpeter wrote:arguing with the man who gave you the information in the first place is not going to win you man favours.
Maybe correct that penultimate word, eh? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Topic author
DGRYAN1977

Post by DGRYAN1977 »

poormadpeter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:

Elvis imports are generally items not released by a legitimate company. You're downloading items that are completely legal, and then refusing to believe they were legal when you were told the facts (actually arguing they weren't legal when you'd not even bothered to check yourself) - and then trying to make your actions legit by saying they're too expensive, and under that argument you'd be in your right to download FTDs as well. No-one has been holier than thou, but arguing with the man who gave you the information in the first place is not going to win you man favours.
You are completely missing the point.
If I buy for example, the new Last Farewell box set, how is that any different from me downloading all the jungle room FTD's?
They probably copied those discs,burned them and sold them for profit.

Here is something that's really going to blow your mind..when I was 13...I use to record things off the radio onto a cassette!
]

Don

drjohncarpenter

DGRYAN1977 wrote:You are completely missing the point.
If I buy for example, the new Last Farewell box set, how is that any different from me downloading all the jungle room FTD's?

Here is something that's really going to blow your mind..when I was 13...I use to record things off the radio onto a cassette!
The more you post and try to justify your thievery by playing the "ignorant" card, the more repugnant you become in the eyes of every good member of this forum.

Enough already.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

The Pirate wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:arguing with the man who gave you the information in the first place is not going to win you man favours.
Maybe correct that penultimate word, eh? Not that there's anything wrong with that...
oops! I meant ANY favours!

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

DGRYAN1977 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:

Elvis imports are generally items not released by a legitimate company. You're downloading items that are completely legal, and then refusing to believe they were legal when you were told the facts (actually arguing they weren't legal when you'd not even bothered to check yourself) - and then trying to make your actions legit by saying they're too expensive, and under that argument you'd be in your right to download FTDs as well. No-one has been holier than thou, but arguing with the man who gave you the information in the first place is not going to win you man favours.

]
You were 13 then. Now you're an adult. Well...

Topic author
DGRYAN1977

Post by DGRYAN1977 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

The more you post and try to justify your thievery by playing the "ignorant" card, the more repugnant you become in the eyes of every good member of this forum.

Enough already.
Im not playing ignorant. Im just trying to prove how hypocritical you are because Im sure you own atleast one Elvis "import" disc with unlicensed outtakes.

Don

Topic author
DGRYAN1977

Post by DGRYAN1977 »

poormadpeter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:

]
You were 13 then. Now you're an adult. Well...
Better than being a pompous ........ you fill in the blanks..

Don

drjohncarpenter

DGRYAN1977 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The more you post and try to justify your thievery by playing the "ignorant" card, the more repugnant you become in the eyes of every good member of this forum.

Enough already.
Im not playing ignorant. Im just trying to prove how hypocritical you are because Im sure you own atleast one Elvis "import" disc with unlicensed outtakes.
You're sinking ever lower ...

If you plan to continue stealing from Bear Family or Follow That Dream, and that seems to be the case, please refrain from posting about it here.

Thanks. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
DGRYAN1977

Post by DGRYAN1977 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The more you post and try to justify your thievery by playing the "ignorant" card, the more repugnant you become in the eyes of every good member of this forum.

Enough already.
You're sinking ever lower ...

If you plan to continue stealing from Bear Family or Follow That Dream, and that seems to be the case, please refrain from posting about it here.

Thanks. :smt023
So now you making false accusations? That is called slander.
I have never once stolen an FTD. I have purchased every single one that I own.
Go on..continue to make yourself look like an even bigger a - -

Don

Topic author
DGRYAN1977

Post by DGRYAN1977 »

Atleast you haven't denied that you have unlawfully and willing obtained unlicensed Elvis music.
So keep calling the kettle black

Don

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

DGRYAN1977 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Enough already.
But those unlicensed outtakes are not available elsewhere officially. That is the difference. And, if the bootleg was bought before the official version was released, you can be 99% that the person in question bought the official release afterwards. There is no hypocrisy here, just common sense and morals.

Not only was what you downloaded available legally, it was also, for the most part, available legally in different forms at different prices. Your justification was cost - and yet you could have bought separately the 4 Decca albums, the Epic recordings, and the Capitol album that the box contained for around $50 used on Amazon or around $80 new on the same site. And you could have bought them one at a time, thus reducing the expenditure. So, even if you thought the Bear Family set was a bootleg, it doesn't matter. The material (or most of it) was already available, and in most cases had been for years. So, yes, you're either playing ignorant or your are completely inept at searching Amazon.

And then you proceed to argue with people and goad them when they point out the Bear Family set was legal and licensed. Unbelievable!

Topic author
DGRYAN1977

Post by DGRYAN1977 »

poormadpeter wrote:
DGRYAN1977 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Enough already.
But those unlicensed outtakes are not available elsewhere officially. That is the difference. And, if the bootleg was bought before the official version was released, you can be 99% that the person in question bought the official release afterwards. There is no hypocrisy here, just common sense and morals.

Not only was what you downloaded available legally, it was also, for the most part, available legally in different forms at different prices. Your justification was cost - and yet you could have bought separately the 4 Decca albums, the Epic recordings, and the Capitol album that the box contained for around $50 used on Amazon or around $80 new on the same site. And you could have bought them one at a time, thus reducing the expenditure. So, even if you thought the Bear Family set was a bootleg, it doesn't matter. The material (or most of it) was already available, and in most cases had been for years. So, yes, you're either playing ignorant or your are completely inept at searching Amazon.

And then you proceed to argue with people and goad them when they point out the Bear Family set was legal and licensed. Unbelievable!
I brought up The Last Farewell as my example. I would say 99% of the takes have been released by FTD. How about that new American box set everyone is discussing? Same goes for that. 99% of it has been released officially. If I steal an apple from the store and then buy an apple, it doesn't make it right.
I contested the validity because A) I had never heard of this label B) No where on their site did I see anything explaining their process of licensing the music. They should advertise it on their site so newbies understand their whole process.
C) Some of these European labels aren't legit.
I take someone like a Larry Jordan who couldn't get away with releasing the music legally on an American label. He finds the loop hole and releases it through Europe.

For the record, the reason I downloaded all 3 box sets is because I wanted to try and determine what the buy to have to best audio quality prior to purchasing any of them. I did this because I had never heard of Bear and its a big investment. Im glad I did because I placed orders for Ricks albums separately instead of these box sets.

This has nothing to do with anyones ability to search a site. Im only recently trying to obtain more than just Rick's greatest hits and was looking to be pointed in the right direction.
I didn't realize my post would attract the message board bullies.

Don