Jan & Dean

Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, londonflash, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Mister Moon

Jan & Dean

Post by Mister Moon »

Jan & Dean.jpg
Their best music was always full of that summertime happiness and teenage exhuberance, and I really dig it.

Although they are mainly known for their superfine surf records, they recorded many great singles before that.

Here's one of those songs.

I've always liked the title of this one, and every year, when we reach early August, I think of this song :

Jan & Dean - "Midsummer Night's Dream" - Challenge single 9111 - Released June 1961.

I will be posting more Jan & Dean recordings within this thread during this month. If you have any particular J&D favorites, please post them too. Thanks.

Topic author
lovin' EP

Re: Jan & Dean

Post by lovin' EP »

Jan died in March of 2004 from the lingering effects of the car accident he had in 1966. He suffered severe brain damage, but did recover enough to perform and record. He was 62 when he died of seizures he suffered at his home. This is a cute video, but Dean seems to have some trouble with his board! LOL

Elvisly,

Linda

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Many thanks for the post, Linda. Glad you like this stuff too !

Very nice video of Jan & Dean on TV. I had never seen this footage before.

As you probably know, "Sidewalk Surfin'" was really a remake of a Beach Boys song called "Catch A Wave". Here's a bit about it :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidewalk_Surfin'

Thanks again.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Here's another early, pre-surf track.

I like the sound they achieved in these early records. It's like a garage version of the Everly Brothers, a stripped-down doo-wop, with minimal instrumentation but superb arrangements and production.

This was the b-side of the third Jan & Dean single (there had been of course three other singles by Jan & Arnie, but that's another story).

It's a haunting song, and it doesn't even have a bridge but a repeated chorus with some modulations. The instrumental passage works as a bridge - and it has shades of Buddy Holly. Very, very cool :

Jan & Dean - "You're On My Mind" - Doré single 539 - Released January 1960.

"Billboard" magazine chose the single for their "very strong sales potential" review section :

BB 600104.JPG
Mind.jpg

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

In Des Moines, Iowa, in the early sixties, with some local deejays :

Des Moines.jpg
Love those sweaters !

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Jan and Dean were never on my radar, and had they not made friends with Brian Wilson I question whether we'd even be speaking of them today. That said, their hit singles were great fun, and they did a nice job hosting one of the great concert films of all time.

T.A.M.I Show
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_T.A.M.I._Show

This was recently released on DVD in superb quality, and is highly recommended.

Among their Elvis connections, the above film was directed by Steve Binder, who handled the 1968's "Singer Presents Elvis" for NBC-TV, and they were involved in a 1965 Paramount film that ultimately went unfinished called "Easy Come, Easy Go"!

Easy Come, Easy Go (unfinished film)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Come,_Easy_Go_(unfinished_film)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Jan and Dean were never on my radar, and had they not made friends with Brian Wilson I question whether we'd even be speaking of them today. That said, their hit singles were great fun, and they did a nice job hosting one of the great concert films of all time.

T.A.M.I Show

Among their Elvis connections, the above film was directed by Steve Binder, who handled the 1968's "Singer Presents Elvis" for NBC-TV, and they were involved in a 1965 Paramount film that ultimately went unfinished called "Easy Come, Easy Go"!

Thanks Doc.

I can't agree with the first lines in your post.

While it's a fact that Jan & Dean reached their popularity peak thanks to their collaborations with Brian Wilson, it's unfair to dismiss their earlier work.

First, for purely artistic reasons. Their records for Arwin, Dore, and Challenge were, for the most part, superb efforts on all counts.

Second, because a good number of them turned out to be extremely popular, including several of them hitting the national charts. Check it out.

Anyway, even if those records hadn't charted at all, they would still be worth mentioning today, I think. Much obscurer artists and records have been known to be remembered in our time.

I have to look for the DVD of "The T.A.M.I. Show". I have seen several clips here and there, but never the entire thing. Thanks for the tip.

One last thing : the correct spelling of the name of the duo is "Jan & Dean", with the ampersand.

Thanks again.

drjohncarpenter

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Jan and Dean were never on my radar, and had they not made friends with Brian Wilson I question whether we'd even be speaking of them today. That said, their hit singles were great fun, and they did a nice job hosting one of the great concert films of all time.

T.A.M.I Show

Thanks Doc.

I can't agree with the first lines in your post.

While it's a fact that Jan & Dean reached their popularity peak thanks to their collaborations with Brian Wilson, it's unfair to dismiss their earlier work.

First, for purely artistic reasons. Their records for Arwin, Dore, and Challenge were, for the most part, superb efforts on all counts.

Second, because a good number of them turned out to be extremely popular, including several of them hitting the national charts. Check it out.

Anyway, even if those records hadn't charted at all, they would still be worth mentioning today, I think. Much obscurer artists and records have been known to be remembered in our time.

I have to look for the DVD of "The T.A.M.I. Show". I have seen several clips here and there, but never the entire thing. Thanks for the tip.

One last thing : the correct spelling of the name of the duo is "Jan & Dean", with the ampersand.

Thanks again.
My pleasure.

It's always fun to appreciate the obscure beginnings of any artist who later achieved success, but without the hits one is far less likely to be seeking early obscurities. In the case of Berry and Torrence, I did not dismiss their early sides, but it cannot be disputed that their most well-known hits were completely due to their alliance with the Beach Boys.

Here's a link to the DVD, which among many, many highlights contains perhaps the greatest 18 minutes of James Brown's career:
http://www.amazon.com/The-T-A-M-I-Show-Collectors-Edition/dp/B0030ATZIA

Also ... there seems to be a bit of confusion over the correct punctuation for the name of the duo, as may be seen in this 1966 LP release:

660319_Jan And Dean Meet Batman_Liberty 3444.JPG
Jan and Dean Meet Batman (Liberty LRP-3444, March 19 1966)

Or in the opening credits of Steve Binder's "T.A.M.I. Show":

641229_T.A.M.I. Show credits.JPG

Or the cover of the 2010 official DVD of the film:

100323_T.A.M.I. Show DVD.JPG

That's why I wrote "Jan and Dean." ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

drjohncarpenter wrote: It's always fun to appreciate the obscure beginnings of any artist who later achieved success, but without the hits one is far less likely to be seeking early obscurities. In the case of Berry and Torrence, I did not dismiss their early sides, but it cannot be disputed that their most well-known hits were completely due to their alliance with the Beach Boys.
As I said in my previous post, several of their pre-surf singles were important hits, especially "Jennie Lee" (as by "Jan & Arnie", with Arnie Ginsburg) and "Baby Talk", both Top Ten hits.

For me, it's not a only matter of fun, or even snobbery. It's about getting the whole package, not just the (great) songs that you can hear anywhere.

Here's a very detailed listing of their 1958-1962 singles, together with chart placings, etc. :

http://www.jananddean-janberry.com/main/index.php/disc/58-62

Of course, their collaborations with Brian Wilson remain supreme. I'm also a Wilson / Beach Boys fan ! But they were already well-known before that.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Here's a link to the DVD, which among many, many highlights contains perhaps the greatest 18 minutes of James Brown's career:
http://www.amazon.com/The-T-A-M-I-Show-Collectors-Edition/dp/B0030ATZIA
Thank you, Doc. I definitely need this DVD, if only for James Brown. The line-up of talent is truly amazing. Interestingly, three out of the four songs played by Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas were written by Lennon and McCartney.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Also ... there seems to be a bit of confusion over the correct punctuation for the name of the duo, as may be seen in this 1966 LP release:

660319_Jan And Dean Meet Batman_Liberty 3444.JPG
Jan and Dean Meet Batman (Liberty LRP-3444, March 19 1966)

Or in the opening credits of Steve Binder's "T.A.M.I. Show":

641229_T.A.M.I. Show credits.JPG

Or the cover of the 2010 official DVD of the film:

100323_T.A.M.I. Show DVD.JPG

That's why I wrote "Jan and Dean." ;-)

The spelling of the name is not a big issue, really. It's mostly trivial stuff.

Yes, you can find many places where the name is written with "and" instead of "&" - most notably their Wikipedia entry.

But if you look at most of their single labels and record sleeves (even the autographed photo I posted above), you will notice the use of the ampersand.

It's a not too well-known detail, but it was highlighted in the liner notes of a now deleted LP reissue of their complete Dore recordings :

The Jan & Dean Sound

by Michael "Doc Rock" Kelly

I was a fan of the music on this album when it was being played on the radio in the 1950s. The spirit of camaraderie and good times that has been a part of Jan & Dean music from the beginning attracted me the first time I heard it, and has held me a musical captive ever since.

Although I enjoyed Jan & Dean (always written with an ampersand, never with the conjunction "and") all along, my allowance didn't permit me to actually buy any Jan & Dean records until 1963. From then on, there was no turning back. Well, that's not true. I did turn back -- to the '50s. Jan & Dean's '60s releases came out too far apart to satisfy me! So in 1964, I began a search for their earlier Doo Wop records. And over the years, I found those records, one by one. For today's Jan & Dean fan, it is easier -- those classic songs are all included on this album.

(...)
http://www.oocities.org/sunsetstrip/mezzanine/1856/dorel.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAN-DEAN-complete-DORE-recs-ORANGE-VINYL-Sundazed-LP-from-MASTER-TAPES-CC-/201079716212?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2ed148f974

Thanks again. It's such a pleasure to talk about these subjects.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Next time any of you guys / gals decide to go surfin', you definitely need this stylish board - it only costs 3500 dollars :

J&D Longboard.JPG
J&D Longboard x.JPG
http://www.jananddean.com/merch/merch.html

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

Mister Moon wrote:........you will notice the use of the ampersand.
Ampersand is a good word. As a general rule, an ampersand is always used when denoting a connection between two or more persons.

So, for example, business partners, Smith & Jones Plumbers.

Singing partners, Jan & Dean, Gerry & The Pacemakers etc.

Couple, Mr & Mrs Smartass.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

drjohncarpenter

As is evident by this discussion, general rules do not apply here, but thanks for popping by. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:As is evident by this discussion, general rules do not apply here, but thanks for popping by. :smt023
That's why they are called general rules buddy. I'm always happy popping by & helping out. :wink:

>>>

drjohncarpenter

mike edwards66 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:As is evident by this discussion, general rules do not apply here, but thanks for popping by. :smt023
That's why they are called general rules buddy. I'm always happy popping by & helping out. :wink:
Thanks for underscoring what I was trying to gently imply: that you have no point.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:...........that you have no point.
Right back at you, you gotta smile at that!

>>>

drjohncarpenter

mike edwards66 wrote:
I've deeply contributed to the topic, as usual, we look forward to seeing if you can match it.

I won't place any bets. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:
I've deeply contributed to the topic, as usual, we look forward to seeing if you can match it.

I won't place any bets. ;-)

You need a brewski, chill.

>>>

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

T.A.M.I Show

I remember seeing the TAMI show in the movies. What a great experience that was. First time I ever saw James Brown. Anyone know if Elvis ever saw TAMI or if he ever spoke to Steve Binder about it?

drjohncarpenter

r&b wrote:

T.A.M.I Show

I remember seeing the TAMI show in the movies. What a great experience that was. First time I ever saw James Brown. Anyone know if Elvis ever saw TAMI or if he ever spoke to Steve Binder about it?
A good set of questions. I wish we could ask Steve Binder, he'd certainly remember a conversation about that film. And note that Darlene Love and the Blossoms are prominently featured, backing up Marvin Gaye. They would work with Elvis and Steve on the NBC program in 1968.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

T.A.M.I Show

A good set of questions. I wish we could ask Steve Binder, he'd certainly remember a conversation about that film. And note that Darlene Love and the Blossoms are prominently featured, backing up Marvin Gaye. They would work with Elvis and Steve on the NBC program in 1968.
Yup they were and she and the group would soon be a weekly fixture as backup singers on Shindig, a show that wanted Elvis to perform and all us Elvis fans wante him to make an appearance there (or Sullivan) in the midst of Beatlemania. However successful his movie career was in 64-65, we felt he needed to do a TV sopt very badly. BTW, what a great year for rock and roll movies 1964 was with Tami, Hard Days Night, and a return to form for Elvis in Viva. Truly a great time to be a teenager!

drjohncarpenter

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:A good set of questions. I wish we could ask Steve Binder, he'd certainly remember a conversation about that film. And note that Darlene Love and the Blossoms are prominently featured, backing up Marvin Gaye. They would work with Elvis and Steve on the NBC program in 1968.
Yup they were and she and the group would soon be a weekly fixture as backup singers on Shindig, a show that wanted Elvis to perform and all us Elvis fans wante him to make an appearance there (or Sullivan) in the midst of Beatlemania. However successful his movie career was in 64-65, we felt he needed to do a TV sopt very badly. BTW, what a great year for rock and roll movies 1964 was with Tami, Hard Days Night, and a return to form for Elvis in Viva. Truly a great time to be a teenager!
That is for sure!

ABC-TV's "Shindig" actually debuted on September 16, 1964, Darlene Love and the Blossoms had featured spots from the start:

Shindig - Season 1, Episode 1: Show 1: September 16, 1964: Sam Cooke, Everly Brothers, Righteous Brothers - TV.com
http://www.tv.com/shows/shindig/show-1-september-16-1964-sam-cooke-everly-brothers-righteous-brothers-99888/

Take a close look at the opening medley, some of these songs are also heard in Elvis' 1968 program!

The house band, the Shindogs, included musicians James Burton (guitar) and Glen Hardin (piano). The show was produced by Jack Good, who had a small role in "Clambake" as Hathaway, the front desk clerk.

Lots of Elvis connections!

George Harrison, Jack Good (producer), John Lennon - "Shindig" U.K. taping, Saturday, October 3, 1964

Chuck Blackwell
Joey Cooper
Delaney Bramlett
James Burton
Glen D. Hardin

Shindig! | The Official James Burton Website
http://www.james-burton.net/shindig/

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:A good set of questions. I wish we could ask Steve Binder, he'd certainly remember a conversation about that film. And note that Darlene Love and the Blossoms are prominently featured, backing up Marvin Gaye. They would work with Elvis and Steve on the NBC program in 1968.
That is for sure!

ABC-TV's "Shindig" actually debuted on September 16, 1964, Darlene Love and the Blossoms had featured spots from the start:

Shindig - Season 1, Episode 1: Show 1: September 16, 1964: Sam Cooke, Everly Brothers, Righteous Brothers - TV.com
http://www.tv.com/shows/shindig/show-1-september-16-1964-sam-cooke-everly-brothers-righteous-brothers-99888/

Take a close look at the opening medley, some of these songs are also heard in Elvis' 1968 program!

The house band, the Shindogs, included musicians James Burton (guitar) and Glen Hardin (piano). The show was produced by Jack Good, who had a small role in "Clambake" as Hathaway, the front desk clerk.

Lots of Elvis connections!

George Harrison, Jack Good (producer), John Lennon - "Shindig" U.K. taping, Saturday, October 3, 1964

Chuck Blackwell
Joey Cooper
Delaney Bramlett
James Burton
Glen D. Hardin

Shindig! | The Official James Burton Website
http://www.james-burton.net/shindig/
Thanks. I do remember that show. Shindig is one of the few TV shows (and Batman) that have not seen an official DVD release. I ran into Donna Loren (still looks great) 2 years ago and she told me that there were all sorts of legal issues preventing it. Not sure why, as a few of the performances had been out on VHS many years ago in themed packages.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

r&b wrote: Thanks. I do remember that show. Shindig is one of the few TV shows (and Batman) that have not seen an official DVD release. I ran into Donna Loren (still looks great) 2 years ago and she told me that there were all sorts of legal issues preventing it. Not sure why, as a few of the performances had been out on VHS many years ago in themed packages.
You may like this topic about "Shindig" :

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=82357

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Mister Moon wrote:
r&b wrote: Thanks. I do remember that show. Shindig is one of the few TV shows (and Batman) that have not seen an official DVD release. I ran into Donna Loren (still looks great) 2 years ago and she told me that there were all sorts of legal issues preventing it. Not sure why, as a few of the performances had been out on VHS many years ago in themed packages.
You may like this topic about "Shindig" :

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=82357
thanks

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

This one is a real classic, one of those records that are engraved in my brain until the day I leave this planet.

The original version of the song is by The Laurels, on Spring Records (1958), but this one, the first Jan & Dean release on Dore Records, is the definitive recording to me.

The introduction is as unforgettable as, for example, the one featured on Dion & The Belmonts' "I Wonder Why", from the previous year. And the bridge is just glorious. Then, before the record ends, we are treated again to the opening hook. Just great.

Jan & Dean - "Baby Talk" - Dore single 522 - Released May 1959.