phpBB [video]

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:10 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The official CD version of Rubber Soul released in 1987, and the 2009 remaster, both use the U.K. tracklisting, as is only right.

Of course, Elvis and millions of others in America experienced the Capitol version in 1965-1966, and clearly loved it very, very much!

That said, of all the U.S. amalgams of those wonderful British LPs, Rubber Soul was the most successful. Capitol turned it into a very acoustic record, and its charms were such that it totally blew away California rocker Brian Wilson, who could not believe how excellent it was from start-to-finish. The bar had just been pushed higher, and Brian quietly determined to match that with the next Beach Boys record.

That LP was Pet Sounds, one of the landmark releases of the 20th century.

I read that too, that Brain loved the LP and
particularly the song "Norwegian Wood".....

It's funny, i've have never heard the "Pets Sounds" LP but i suppose, that's got a lit to do with the fact i'm not really much of a Beach Boys fan. I've read that "Pet Sounds" was a big influence on "Sgt. Pepper" in what way was it a big influence?

Pet Sounds is beyond the Beach Boys, it's Brian Wilson's masterpiece. What surprised me most was how dark and melancholy it was, with some very deep and spiritual melodies, and lyrics that cut right through to the soul. Its mid-1966 release caught the Beatles on the eve of their next masterwork, Revolver. But Paul McCartney in particular was so stunned by what Wilson had accomplished that the seeds of Sgt. Pepper were sown almost immediately. Listen to "She's Leaving Home" from that 1967 opus to hear the total Wilson influence on Paul, from vocal to melody to arrangement.

Anyway, do not leave this world without hearing Pet Sounds.

P.S. The original 1966 release was in superb MONO, in part because Brian was not comfortable mixing into stereo because he was deaf in one ear. Thirty years later technology was such that all the original multi-tracks could be carefully synced to create a glorious stereo mix for the first time ever. Capitol was actually kind enough a few years ago to issue both on a single CD, and that is the one to look for.

I have been meaning for years to listen to "Pet Sounds" but never really pushed myself to do it. The only reason i want to hear it is because of the supposed connection with "Sgt. Pepper".

What i'm gonna do is google the album to see the tracklisting and then you tube the songs and have a listen.

I'll let you know what i think.

Listen to John and give it a spin! It's really a masterpiece.

I've just listened to the A side of "Pet Sounds" on youtube and i have to say i'm very impressed with songs like "Wouldn't it be nice", "You still believe in me", "That's not me", "Don't talk", "Waiting for the day", "Let's go away for awhile" and "Sloop John B". Yes, it is dark and meloncholy and there not like any other Beach Boy songs, such as, "Surfin' USA" - which are very lively and happy songs.

I can see the Sgt. Pepper influence there, though Pepper is certainly more vibrant and melodic.

I think Side 2 is even better. God Only Knows may very well be the most beautiful song ever written by a pop artist and the last song, Caroline No, is haunting & brilliant. Side note. Caroline No was released as a single by Capitol in 1966 under Brian Wilson as a solo artist. It wasnt a big hit, but has become somewhat of a classic on its own.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Pet Sounds is beyond the Beach Boys, it's Brian Wilson's masterpiece. What surprised me most was how dark and melancholy it was, with some very deep and spiritual melodies, and lyrics that cut right through to the soul. Its mid-1966 release caught the Beatles on the eve of their next masterwork, Revolver. But Paul McCartney in particular was so stunned by what Wilson had accomplished that the seeds of Sgt. Pepper were sown almost immediately. Listen to "She's Leaving Home" from that 1967 opus to hear the total Wilson influence on Paul, from vocal to melody to arrangement.

P.S. The original 1966 release was in superb MONO, in part because Brian was not comfortable mixing into stereo because he was deaf in one ear. Thirty years later technology was such that all the original multi-tracks could be carefully synced to create a glorious stereo mix for the first time ever. Capitol was actually kind enough a few years ago to issue both on a single CD, and that is the one to look for.

I have been meaning for years to listen to "Pet Sounds" but never really pushed myself to do it. The only reason i want to hear it is because of the supposed connection with "Sgt. Pepper".

What i'm gonna do is google the album to see the tracklisting and then you tube the songs and have a listen.

Come on, man, drop $10 and make a commitment to this LP. You will not regret it.

Also note that most of the album was created at Western Recorders, where Elvis cut all of his NBC-TV Special pre-records in June 1968. Many of the same musicians are on both as well. Pretty cool connection!

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:04 am

Mister Moon wrote:I have this edition of "Pet Sounds", and I'm very happy with it :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Sounds-40th-Anniversary-DVD/dp/B000G74S82/ref=sr_1_10?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1402136169&sr=1-10&keywords=pet+sounds

But it's way too expensive there - just showing you the item. I got it from a bargain bin for about 10 euros.

That's a great release. Picked it up just when it was released. I think I paid about 10 euros. Beautiful album and it has a great a sound quality.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Pet Sounds is beyond the Beach Boys, it's Brian Wilson's masterpiece. What surprised me most was how dark and melancholy it was, with some very deep and spiritual melodies, and lyrics that cut right through to the soul. Its mid-1966 release caught the Beatles on the eve of their next masterwork, Revolver. But Paul McCartney in particular was so stunned by what Wilson had accomplished that the seeds of Sgt. Pepper were sown almost immediately. Listen to "She's Leaving Home" from that 1967 opus to hear the total Wilson influence on Paul, from vocal to melody to arrangement.

Come on, man, drop $10 and make a commitment to this LP. You will not regret it.

Also note that most of the album was created at Western Recorders, where Elvis cut all of his NBC-TV Special pre-records in June 1968. Many of the same musicians are on both as well. Pretty cool connection!

Don't worry, Doc. Shall be buying this tomorrow at my local music (HMV) store.

Out of interest, what musicians played on "Pet Sounds" and 68 recordings?

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Come on, man, drop $10 and make a commitment to this LP. You will not regret it.

Cool.

Among those who played on Brian and Elvis' sessions:

Hal Blaine
Larry Knechtel
Al Casey
Mike Deasy
Don Randi
Tommy Tedesco

Pet Sounds Musicians
http://albumlinernotes.com/Pet_Sounds_Musicians.html

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Come on, man, drop $10 and make a commitment to this LP. You will not regret it.

Cool.

Hal Blaine
Larry Knechtel
Al Casey
Mike Deasy
Don Randi
Tommy Tedesco

Pet Sounds Musicians

Thanks Doc.

It's always great to know this kind of information.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:09 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Cool.

Hal Blaine
Larry Knechtel
Al Casey
Mike Deasy
Don Randi
Tommy Tedesco

Pet Sounds Musicians

Thanks Doc.

It's always great to know this kind of information.

You are welcome! And don't forget Brian and Elvis met, in March 1975.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Pet Sounds is beyond the Beach Boys, it's Brian Wilson's masterpiece.

Where did your long hair go, where is the girl I used to know.............