Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

1. Please Please Me
2
6%
2. With The Beales
0
No votes
3. A Hard Days Night
4
11%
4. Beatles For Sale
1
3%
5. Help !
1
3%
6. Rubber Soul
8
22%
7. Revolver
5
14%
8. Sgt Pepper
7
19%
9. Magical Mystery Tour
1
3%
10. The Beatles (white album)
0
No votes
11. Yellow Submarine
0
No votes
12. Abbey Road
7
19%
13. Let It Be
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 36

Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Sun May 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Another hard one! Lol. 13 mind-blowing classic beatles albums. I've allowed two options. What can you say about Lennon/McCartney, the songwriters, utter geniuses.

My two fav's are "Rubber Soul" & "Revolver".

My fav tracks on each are:
RUBBER SOUL.
Norwegian Wood (always be No.1 for me)
Nowhere Man (harmonies are fab)
In My Life (brillient lyrics)
Michelle (great melody)

REVOLVER.
And Your Bird Can Sing (love it's cryptic lyrics, nice guitar work)
Doctor Robert (nice bit of R'n'R)
For No One (another nice from Paul, love the french horn lead)
Eleanor Rigby (love the lyric "wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door, who is it for?")

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Sun May 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Help, because the title song and You've Got to Hide your Love Away were the first 2 Beatles song I listened on the radio. And because of them I like The Beatles since then.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Sun May 25, 2014 11:37 pm

Well, Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much, and he had Rubber Soul in his collection, so that gets my vote today.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Mon May 26, 2014 12:09 pm

Actually, that's my own favorite, whether Elvis liked it or not. I do. I like it better than the more celebrated ones that came later.
What is better, in the Beatles' ovrvre (sp?), than "In My Life"?

rjm

Sent via mobile

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Tue May 27, 2014 8:57 am

Pretty hard but in the end I chose Sgt. Pepper as I received this record as a six-year old kid (french pressing on yellow vinyl) but really couldn't deal with it although I already had the "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/With A Little Help From My Friends / Within You Without You" single and loved it very, very much.

But as I grew older (and more mature) I lerned to treasure this as a masterpiece.

I'd rate 'em like this as of today:

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. Revolver
3. Rubber Soul
4. Abbey Road
5. Help!
6. Magical Mystery Tour
7. A Hard Day's Night
8. The Beatles
9. With The Beatles
10. Please Please Me
11. Beatles For Sale
12. Let It Be
13. Yellow Submarine

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Tue May 27, 2014 11:01 am

Abbey Road

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Tue May 27, 2014 3:24 pm

I go with Abbey Road too, but that's only because I think it works best as an album. It doesn't have the best songs, it has the most evenly balanced selection of songs. Next up would probably be Beatles For Sale, again because it flows so well and it has a unique sound. The best songs they did though (for me), are on neither of those albums. Stuff like Tomorrow Never Knows and Nowhere Man, Eleanor Rigby and Here, There and Everywhere, they'd be among my favourite tracks and none feature on the two albums I've named.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Fri May 30, 2014 7:51 pm

'Rubber Soul' for me, it seemed to be a point of natural maturity in their song writing and lyrics, I sometimes wonder what they could've really achieved without the flower power and LSD distraction...

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:07 pm

R Soul - first LP I ever thought of as a true LP. All top notch, not just a bunch of songs thrown together to fill out 2 sides. It kinda changed the way we look at albums as an an art form.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:38 pm

** "A Hard Day's Night" - An exhuberant album, the first one without filler tracks or covers. Almost every song here could have been worthy of a single. The height of Beatlemania.

** "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" - It may be a bit excessive and pretentious, but I still like it, and listening to it is a real psychedelic treat / trip, unlike any other of their albums, I think.

--------

Regarding "Rubber Soul" - it should be remembered that the original UK album (14 tracks) and the US release (12 tracks) only had ten songs in common, so some you maybe speaking about different albums depending on where you are from.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Mister Moon wrote:** "A Hard Day's Night" - An exhuberant album, the first one without filler tracks or covers. Almost every song here could have been worthy of a single. The height of Beatlemania.

** "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" - It may be a bit excessive and pretentious, but I still like it, and listening to it is a real psychedelic treat / trip, unlike any other of their albums, I think.

--------

Regarding "Rubber Soul" - it should be remembered that the original UK album (14 tracks) and the US release (12 tracks) only had ten songs in common, so some you maybe speaking about different albums depending on where you are from.

The "A Hard Days Night" album is a truely wonderful album, the songs are beautiful. Imo, the only weak song on the album for me is, "Tell Me Why". To my ears, it sounds a bit of a mess, its as though John as written it in a rush - it just sounds a bit all over the place, the melody and the backing. I think it's safe to say that this album is John's, with only 3 songs from Paul, that doesn't mean Paul didn't contribute a line or two to the other songs, they were partners after all. But most of the songs were originally created by John.

For me, i like Sgt. Pepper, but, musically, it's not there best album, the one before it (Revolver) is better. Pepper works better as a concept album, the Beatle pretending to be another band, the creative cover design, lyrics being printed for the first time. The lyrics to "Lucy" is the first if it's kind.

Regarding "Rubber Soul" i'm from the UK, so i'll go for that tracklisting.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:21 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Regarding "Rubber Soul" i'm from the UK, so i'll go for that tracklisting.


Yes, I agree. I think the ones to go for are the UK ones. I don't care at all for the USA versions.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:29 pm

To me it's Abbey Road with Revolver coming as a close second. Abbey Road includes great songs and magnificent playing. Beautiful, positive album even though The Beatles were already splitting at the time.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:44 am

Rubber Soul.

Best artwork. Best tracklist.

I always know when an album is truly great when I never skip a track and when for the life of me I can't pick a favourite from the album.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:32 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:Rubber Soul.

Best artwork. Best tracklist.

I always know when an album is truly great when I never skip a track and when for the life of me I can't pick a favourite from the album.

Well, except for "What Goes On"... :wink:

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:01 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:Rubber Soul.

Best artwork. Best tracklist.

I always know when an album is truly great when I never skip a track and when for the life of me I can't pick a favourite from the album.

Well, except for "What Goes On"... :wink:

That's quite a nice little sing-along song, some nice guitar licks from George too...

The weakest track, although it's still listenable and i never skip it, is "Think For Yourself", imo, of course.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:33 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:Rubber Soul.

Best artwork. Best tracklist.

I always know when an album is truly great when I never skip a track and when for the life of me I can't pick a favourite from the album.

Well, except for "What Goes On"... :wink:



Not too bad of a song. Nice harmonies and the guitar break is acutally in the style of some rockabilly licks. Of course on the American version of this album, we did not have that song, and the album led off with Ive Just Seen A Face.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Regarding "Rubber Soul" i'm from the UK, so i'll go for that tracklisting.


Yes, I agree. I think the ones to go for are the UK ones. I don't care at all for the USA versions.


The official CD version of Rubber Soul released in 1987, and the 2009 remaster, both use the U.K. tracklisting, as is only right.

Of course, Elvis and millions of others in America experienced the Capitol version in 1965-1966, and clearly loved it very, very much!

That said, of all the U.S. amalgams of those wonderful British LPs, Rubber Soul was the most successful. Capitol turned it into a very acoustic record, and its charms were such that it totally blew away California rocker Brian Wilson, who could not believe how excellent it was from start-to-finish. The bar had just been pushed higher, and Brian quietly determined to match that with the next Beach Boys record.

That LP was Pet Sounds, one of the landmark releases of the 20th century.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:36 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Regarding "Rubber Soul" i'm from the UK, so i'll go for that tracklisting.


Yes, I agree. I think the ones to go for are the UK ones. I don't care at all for the USA versions.


The official CD version of Rubber Soul released in 1987, and the 2009 remaster, both use the U.K. tracklisting, as is only right.

Of course, Elvis and millions of others in America experienced the Capitol version in 1965-1966, and clearly loved it very, very much!

That said, of all the U.S. amalgams of those wonderful British LPs, Rubber Soul was the most successful. Capitol turned it into a very acoustic record, and its charms were such that it totally blew away California rocker Brian Wilson, who could not believe how excellent it was from start-to-finish. The bar had just been pushed higher, and Brian quietly determined to match that with the next Beach Boys record.

That LP was Pet Sounds, one of the landmark releases of the 20th century.

I read that too, that Brain loved the LP and
particularly the song "Norwegian Wood".....

It's funny, i've have never heard the "Pets Sounds" LP but i suppose, that's got a lit to do with the fact i'm not really much of a Beach Boys fan. I've read that "Pet Sounds" was a big influence on "Sgt. Pepper" in what way was it a big influence?

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:54 am

The original version of "Rubber Soul" is clearly superior to the USA one. Two of the strongest tracks on the album, "Drive My Car" and "Nowhere Man", as well as Harrison's "If I Needed Someone" and the Ringo-sung (and composed !) "What Goes On", were omitted in the USA in favour of two minor tracks from the "Help !" album.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/albums/rubber-soul/

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:04 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The official CD version of Rubber Soul released in 1987, and the 2009 remaster, both use the U.K. tracklisting, as is only right.

Of course, Elvis and millions of others in America experienced the Capitol version in 1965-1966, and clearly loved it very, very much!

That said, of all the U.S. amalgams of those wonderful British LPs, Rubber Soul was the most successful. Capitol turned it into a very acoustic record, and its charms were such that it totally blew away California rocker Brian Wilson, who could not believe how excellent it was from start-to-finish. The bar had just been pushed higher, and Brian quietly determined to match that with the next Beach Boys record.

That LP was Pet Sounds, one of the landmark releases of the 20th century.

I read that too, that Brain loved the LP and
particularly the song "Norwegian Wood".....

It's funny, i've have never heard the "Pets Sounds" LP but i suppose, that's got a lit to do with the fact i'm not really much of a Beach Boys fan. I've read that "Pet Sounds" was a big influence on "Sgt. Pepper" in what way was it a big influence?


Pet Sounds is beyond the Beach Boys, it's Brian Wilson's masterpiece. What surprised me most was how dark and melancholy it was, with some very deep and spiritual melodies, and lyrics that cut right through to the soul. Its mid-1966 release caught the Beatles on the eve of their next masterwork, Revolver. But Paul McCartney in particular was so stunned by what Wilson had accomplished that the seeds of Sgt. Pepper were sown almost immediately. Listen to "She's Leaving Home" from that 1967 opus to hear the total Wilson influence on Paul, from vocal to melody to arrangement.

Anyway, do not leave this world without hearing Pet Sounds.

P.S. The original 1966 release was in superb MONO, in part because Brian was not comfortable mixing into stereo because he was deaf in one ear. Thirty years later technology was such that all the original multi-tracks could be carefully synced to create a glorious stereo mix for the first time ever. Capitol was actually kind enough a few years ago to issue both on a single CD, and that is the one to look for.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The official CD version of Rubber Soul released in 1987, and the 2009 remaster, both use the U.K. tracklisting, as is only right.

Of course, Elvis and millions of others in America experienced the Capitol version in 1965-1966, and clearly loved it very, very much!

That said, of all the U.S. amalgams of those wonderful British LPs, Rubber Soul was the most successful. Capitol turned it into a very acoustic record, and its charms were such that it totally blew away California rocker Brian Wilson, who could not believe how excellent it was from start-to-finish. The bar had just been pushed higher, and Brian quietly determined to match that with the next Beach Boys record.

That LP was Pet Sounds, one of the landmark releases of the 20th century.

I read that too, that Brain loved the LP and
particularly the song "Norwegian Wood".....

It's funny, i've have never heard the "Pets Sounds" LP but i suppose, that's got a lit to do with the fact i'm not really much of a Beach Boys fan. I've read that "Pet Sounds" was a big influence on "Sgt. Pepper" in what way was it a big influence?


Pet Sounds is beyond the Beach Boys, it's Brian Wilson's masterpiece. What surprised me most was how dark and melancholy it was, with some very deep and spiritual melodies, and lyrics that cut right through to the soul. Its mid-1966 release caught the Beatles on the eve of their next masterwork, Revolver. But Paul McCartney in particular was so stunned by what Wilson had accomplished that the seeds of Sgt. Pepper were sown almost immediately. Listen to "She's Leaving Home" from that 1967 opus to hear the total Wilson influence on Paul, from vocal to melody to arrangement.

Anyway, do not leave this world without hearing Pet Sounds.

P.S. The original 1966 release was in superb MONO, in part because Brian was not comfortable mixing into stereo because he was deaf in one ear. Thirty years later technology was such that all the original multi-tracks could be carefully synced to create a glorious stereo mix for the first time ever. Capitol was actually kind enough a few years ago to issue both on a single CD, and that is the one to look for.

I have been meaning for years to listen to "Pet Sounds" but never really pushed myself to do it. The only reason i want to hear it is because of the supposed connection with "Sgt. Pepper".

What i'm gonna do is google the album to see the tracklisting and then you tube the songs and have a listen.

I'll let you know what i think.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:19 pm

I have this edition of "Pet Sounds", and I'm very happy with it :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Sounds-40th-Anniversary-DVD/dp/B000G74S82/ref=sr_1_10?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1402136169&sr=1-10&keywords=pet+sounds

But it's way too expensive there - just showing you the item. I got it from a bargain bin for about 10 euros.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:04 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The official CD version of Rubber Soul released in 1987, and the 2009 remaster, both use the U.K. tracklisting, as is only right.

Of course, Elvis and millions of others in America experienced the Capitol version in 1965-1966, and clearly loved it very, very much!

That said, of all the U.S. amalgams of those wonderful British LPs, Rubber Soul was the most successful. Capitol turned it into a very acoustic record, and its charms were such that it totally blew away California rocker Brian Wilson, who could not believe how excellent it was from start-to-finish. The bar had just been pushed higher, and Brian quietly determined to match that with the next Beach Boys record.

That LP was Pet Sounds, one of the landmark releases of the 20th century.

I read that too, that Brain loved the LP and
particularly the song "Norwegian Wood".....

It's funny, i've have never heard the "Pets Sounds" LP but i suppose, that's got a lit to do with the fact i'm not really much of a Beach Boys fan. I've read that "Pet Sounds" was a big influence on "Sgt. Pepper" in what way was it a big influence?


Pet Sounds is beyond the Beach Boys, it's Brian Wilson's masterpiece. What surprised me most was how dark and melancholy it was, with some very deep and spiritual melodies, and lyrics that cut right through to the soul. Its mid-1966 release caught the Beatles on the eve of their next masterwork, Revolver. But Paul McCartney in particular was so stunned by what Wilson had accomplished that the seeds of Sgt. Pepper were sown almost immediately. Listen to "She's Leaving Home" from that 1967 opus to hear the total Wilson influence on Paul, from vocal to melody to arrangement.

Anyway, do not leave this world without hearing Pet Sounds.

P.S. The original 1966 release was in superb MONO, in part because Brian was not comfortable mixing into stereo because he was deaf in one ear. Thirty years later technology was such that all the original multi-tracks could be carefully synced to create a glorious stereo mix for the first time ever. Capitol was actually kind enough a few years ago to issue both on a single CD, and that is the one to look for.

I have been meaning for years to listen to "Pet Sounds" but never really pushed myself to do it. The only reason i want to hear it is because of the supposed connection with "Sgt. Pepper".

What i'm gonna do is google the album to see the tracklisting and then you tube the songs and have a listen.

I'll let you know what i think.

Listen to John and give it a spin! It's really a masterpiece.

Re: Poll: Your Fav Beatles Album?

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:26 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The official CD version of Rubber Soul released in 1987, and the 2009 remaster, both use the U.K. tracklisting, as is only right.

Of course, Elvis and millions of others in America experienced the Capitol version in 1965-1966, and clearly loved it very, very much!

That said, of all the U.S. amalgams of those wonderful British LPs, Rubber Soul was the most successful. Capitol turned it into a very acoustic record, and its charms were such that it totally blew away California rocker Brian Wilson, who could not believe how excellent it was from start-to-finish. The bar had just been pushed higher, and Brian quietly determined to match that with the next Beach Boys record.

That LP was Pet Sounds, one of the landmark releases of the 20th century.

I read that too, that Brain loved the LP and
particularly the song "Norwegian Wood".....

It's funny, i've have never heard the "Pets Sounds" LP but i suppose, that's got a lit to do with the fact i'm not really much of a Beach Boys fan. I've read that "Pet Sounds" was a big influence on "Sgt. Pepper" in what way was it a big influence?


Pet Sounds is beyond the Beach Boys, it's Brian Wilson's masterpiece. What surprised me most was how dark and melancholy it was, with some very deep and spiritual melodies, and lyrics that cut right through to the soul. Its mid-1966 release caught the Beatles on the eve of their next masterwork, Revolver. But Paul McCartney in particular was so stunned by what Wilson had accomplished that the seeds of Sgt. Pepper were sown almost immediately. Listen to "She's Leaving Home" from that 1967 opus to hear the total Wilson influence on Paul, from vocal to melody to arrangement.

Anyway, do not leave this world without hearing Pet Sounds.

P.S. The original 1966 release was in superb MONO, in part because Brian was not comfortable mixing into stereo because he was deaf in one ear. Thirty years later technology was such that all the original multi-tracks could be carefully synced to create a glorious stereo mix for the first time ever. Capitol was actually kind enough a few years ago to issue both on a single CD, and that is the one to look for.

I have been meaning for years to listen to "Pet Sounds" but never really pushed myself to do it. The only reason i want to hear it is because of the supposed connection with "Sgt. Pepper".

What i'm gonna do is google the album to see the tracklisting and then you tube the songs and have a listen.

I'll let you know what i think.

Listen to John and give it a spin! It's really a masterpiece.

I've just listened to the A side of "Pet Sounds" on youtube and i have to say i'm very impressed with songs like "Wouldn't it be nice", "You still believe in me", "That's not me", "Don't talk", "Waiting for the day", "Let's go away for awhile" and "Sloop John B". Yes, it is dark and meloncholy and there not like any other Beach Boy songs, such as, "Surfin' USA" - which are very lively and happy songs.

I can see the Sgt. Pepper influence there, though Pepper is certainly more vibrant and melodic.