Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Pat Boone - Where Are You

Tue May 13, 2014 9:39 pm

I was just checking out my 5-CD box set "Pat Boone: The Sixties - 1960-1962" from Bear Family and discovered a song on Disc 5 (Track 20), called "Where Are You".
By digging a little further on Disc 4 (Track 15) I stumbled upon another "Where Are You". As there are some alternate versions featured (and unfortunately only a stereo outtake of "Lover's Lane" - for this song was actually the main reason I bought the set. Richard Weize later told me they couldn't find the master tape to this particular song) I thought it'd be the same tune. But it wasn't. Now listen and tell me if you've already heard this song before somewhere... :wink:

I would have posted a youtube link but couldn't find it there.

Instead, here is a WAV-file of the song mentioned above:

15 - Where Are You.wav (File size: 33 MB)
http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/49533898/file.html

Re: Pat Boone - Where Are You

Wed May 14, 2014 12:49 am

Nice spot. Who is listed as songwriter on the CD?

phpBB [video]

Re: Pat Boone - Where Are You

Fri May 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Thanks for the link, George.

Strangely enough there is no songwriter listed on this and the other four tracks ("If You Need Me", "Lonely Walk", "I Don't Know Is It True" and "I'll Always Be In Love With You") recorded on June 13, 1961 at Radio Recorders.
All the songs had been issued on this box set in 2006 for the very first time.

Here are the (confusing) session notes from the Bear Family book:

"Billy Strange, best known as a studio guitarist (he had written "Limbo Rock" for The Champs), takes over as leader on this session. The band included pianist Gene Garf and bassist Joe Osborn from Rick Nelson's band, plus session stalwarts Plas Johnson and Earl Palmer - both expatriate New Orlenians - on saxophone and drums. The session was evidently judged a failure, though "I Don't Know Is It True" has a nice, rolling Otis Blackwell feel to it, and "Where Are You" wound up on the "Ain't That A Shame" album."

While the latter is simply wrong, for the aforementioned song of the same name is a completely different tune, written by Harold Adamson and Jimmy McHugh. This one was recorded on May 16, 1962, the same session he recorded "Speedy Gonzales", so unfortunately there's no other mentioning of the second "Where Are You". Strange indeed!