Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The Beatles - Live at Circus-Krone-Bau, Munich - 1966

Thu May 08, 2014 7:55 pm

YouTube is a bottomless pit of goodies, that goes without saying.

Check this Beatles footage I recently found. It's new to me, and may be new to some of you too.

This is the second and last of the shows the band performed at the Circus-Krone-Bau, in Munich, on June 24, 1966. I have been unable to find the complete footage of the concert, but it's a gas all the same.

Dig the set list (titles in red, not featured in the posted video) : Rock And Roll Music, She’s A Woman, If I Needed Someone, Day Tripper, Baby’s In Black, I Feel Fine, Yesterday, I Wanna Be Your Man, Nowhere Man, Paperback Writer and I’m Down.

This is from the "Beatles Bible" website :

The Beatles’ brief 1966 tour of West Germany, Japan and the Philippines began on this day, with two concerts at the Circus-Krone-Bau in Munich, Germany.

The shows took place at 5.15pm and 9pm. The second show was filmed by German television network Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen (ZDF), and followed a brief afternoon rehearsal set for the cameras. The footage was shown as Die Beatles on channel two on Tuesday 5 July, from 8-8.45pm.

Also appearing on the bill were Cliff Bennett and The Rebel Rousers, The Rattles and Peter and Gordon. The German leg of the tour was known as the Bravo Blitztournee, and was sponsored by the entertainment magazine Bravo.

(...)

For these first dates, the group’s recent absence from live performance was apparent. George Harrison introduced Yesterday as being from Beatles For Sale, and I’m Down was briefly delayed by an on-stage conference between John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Harrison about lyrics in the opening verse. In spite of this, McCartney managed to get each verse wrong.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/06/24/live-circus-krone-bau-munich-germany/

phpBB [video]

And a few cool screenshots, too :

Baby's In Black Krone.jpg

Harrison Krone.jpg

Nowhere Man Krone.jpg

Ringo Krone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The Beatles - Live at Circus-Krone-Bau, Munich - 1966

Fri May 09, 2014 1:57 am

New to me too. Great footage! Nice to hear "Baby's In Black" live, it's such a great little tune.

Thanks for posting.

Sat May 10, 2014 11:29 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:New to me too. Great footage! Nice to hear "Baby's In Black" live, it's such a great little tune.

Thanks for posting.

You're welcome !

It's amazing that songs like "Baby's In Black" or "Nowhere Man" were album tracks (well, at least in the original UK discography).

Sun May 11, 2014 1:25 am

To think these four musicians had completed just seven days earlier their sessions for the "Paperback Writer" / "Rain" single and the Revolver album, perhaps the most exciting, innovative and revolutionary 16 tracks of their entire fabled career.

17 June 1966: Recording, mixing: Here, There And Everywhere, Got To Get You Into My Life | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/06/17/recording-mixing-here-there-and-everywhere-got-to-get-you-into-my-life/

Tue May 13, 2014 8:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:To think these four musicians had completed just seven days earlier their sessions for the "Paperback Writer" / "Rain" single and the Revolver album, perhaps the most exciting, innovative and revolutionary 16 tracks of their entire fabled career.

17 June 1966: Recording, mixing: Here, There And Everywhere, Got To Get You Into My Life | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/06/17/recording-mixing-here-there-and-everywhere-got-to-get-you-into-my-life/

Thanks for the post, Doc.

This means the audience were probably listening to "Paperback Writer" for the first time. Too bad it's not included in the YouTube upload - or maybe the original ZDF broadcast had The Beatles' performance edited in the first place. Maybe the remaining minutes of the broadcast were devoted to other artists in the bill.

Tue May 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks so much for finding and posting, Mister Moon. Enjoyed every second of it. Thankfully german TV recorded it. Would love to see it in its entirety and I wonder if it still exists.

Must've been really warm that day in June in that big tent. :wink:

Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks so much for finding and posting, Mister Moon. Enjoyed every second of it. Thankfully german TV recorded it. Would love to see it in its entirety and I wonder if it still exists.

Must've been really warm that day in June in that big tent. :wink:

Glad you liked it, luckyjackson1 !

There are several uploads of this footage on YouTube, but all of them are incomplete, and have the same approximate length. I tried to post the one with the best possible sound and image quality.

Thanks for the post !

Wed May 14, 2014 6:09 am

Mister Moon wrote:Thanks for the post, Doc.

This means the audience were probably listening to "Paperback Writer" for the first time. Too bad it's not included in the YouTube upload - or maybe the original ZDF broadcast had The Beatles' performance edited in the first place. Maybe the remaining minutes of the broadcast were devoted to other artists in the bill.

"Paperback Writer" had been issued in the U.K. on June 10, about two weeks before this concert appearance, so it was probably all over the radio.

Paperback Writer | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/paperback-writer/

Wed May 14, 2014 3:49 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

"Paperback Writer" had been issued in the U.K. on June 10, about two weeks before this concert appearance, so it was probably all over the radio.

I didn't check the recording date, I thought it was recorded and released later.

Anyway, the Munich performances must have been the first ever live ones for this song.

Thanks for the post.

Wed May 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I didn't check the recording date, I thought it was recorded and released later.

Anyway, the Munich performances must have been the first ever live ones for this song.

Thanks for the post.

You're welcome. Yes, the live debut for that chart-topping single was 6-24-1966 in Munich.

Wed May 14, 2014 9:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thanks for the post.

You're welcome. Yes, the live debut for that chart-topping single was 6-24-1966 in Munich.

Thanks for the information, Doc.

Look what I've just found - color footage of the same concert !

Unfortunately, it's only three minutes long, and features no complete songs, but excerpts of some of the titles performed that night, a few of them not included in the black and white footage.

In the opening moments of the b/w footage, we can spot the color cameraman on the right side of the stage !

This internet thing is gonna kill me...

phpBB [video]

Wed May 14, 2014 9:59 pm

This is an excellent thread. thank you. The colour stuff is wonderful.

Wed May 14, 2014 10:14 pm

George Smith wrote:This is an excellent thread. thank you. The colour stuff is wonderful.

Thanks, George. Glad you liked it !

My favourite piece of Beatlemania is the Washington concert, from February 11, 1964. Shea Stadium, 1965, is out of sight, but Washington 1964 is the one for me. Anyway, in the "Anthology" videos, there's amateur colour footage from that concert merged with the usual b/w footage. These are also impressive moments, but I looked on YouTube and couldn't find it.

Wed May 14, 2014 11:51 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately, it's only three minutes long, and features no complete songs, but excerpts of some of the titles performed that night, a few of them not included in the black and white footage.

In the opening moments of the b/w footage, we can spot the color cameraman on the right side of the stage !

phpBB [video]

WOW!

Great find, thank you. I loved the way the Beatles looked in mid-1966.

They were so far ahead of the game at this point, it is not even funny.

Someone took this silent color film and painstakingly added the audio from another source. Very cool.

Thu May 15, 2014 12:55 am

Of course, the Munich performance of "Nowhere Man" was included in the 1995 Anthology docu-series, where the surviving Beatles discussed the technical limitations of performing multi-layered studio recordings live.

phpBB [video]

Thu May 15, 2014 1:05 am

elvisalisellers wrote:Of course, the Munich performance of "Nowhere Man" was included in the 1995 Anthology docu-series, where the surviving Beatles discussed the technical limitations of performing multi-layered studio recordings live.

phpBB [video]

I haven't watched "Anthology" for some time, but I remember "Nowhere Man" being there, and the discussion you mention. It's one of my favorite tracks of this era. I didn't realise it was the same performance as above.

I gotta unearth those DVDs one of these days !

Thanks for the post, elvisalisellers.

Thu May 15, 2014 1:53 am

Mister Moon wrote:I gotta unearth those DVDs one of these days !

One can but hope that an expanded Blu-ray edition of Anthology is not too far off in the future.

The terrific Circus Krone footage would be ideal material to supplement such a prestigious release.

Fri May 16, 2014 5:41 am

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thanks for the post.

phpBB [video]

WOW! The quality of the colour film is pretty awesome too.

Great find! Thanks for posting Mister Moon.

Fri May 16, 2014 4:23 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Great find! Thanks for posting Mister Moon.

You're welcome !

Fri May 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Thanks again for finding this! I think I watched the edited television version of "Anthology" about twice and the complete edition three times. About time to watch it again. :wink:

Fri May 16, 2014 8:15 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks again for finding this! I think I watched the edited television version of "Anthology" about twice and the complete edition three times. About time to watch it again. :wink:

Yes, those DVDs are such a treat. The amount of archive footage in them is amazing.

Also fantastic is the "The First U.S. Visit" DVD, which of course deals with their 1964 visit to the USA. You probably already have it, but if not, I strongly recommend it.

Thanks !

Fri May 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks again for finding this! I think I watched the edited television version of "Anthology" about twice and the complete edition three times. About time to watch it again. :wink:

Yes, those DVDs are such a treat. The amount of archive footage in them is amazing.

Also fantastic is the "The First U.S. Visit" DVD, which of course deals with their 1964 visit to the USA. You probably already have it, but if not, I strongly recommend it.

Thanks !

I'll have to look out for that myself - not seen it.

I'd love to see a DVD remastered of the Shea Stadium concert plus backage stage footage, that would be a treat.

Fri May 16, 2014 11:01 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I'll have to look out for that myself - not seen it.

I'd love to see a DVD remastered of the Shea Stadium concert plus backage stage footage, that would be a treat.

There's apparently a new, super-quality, private DVD of that gig coming out:

Shea_bootleg.jpg

Saturday, 19 April 2014
Upcoming new underground Shea releases

http://wogew.blogspot.com/2014/04/upcoming-new-underground-shea-releases.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 17, 2014 12:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Shea_bootleg.jpg

Saturday, 19 April 2014

YES!! Shall keep my eyes peeled for this.

Thanks Doc.

Sun May 18, 2014 4:09 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Shea_bootleg.jpg

Saturday, 19 April 2014

This is great news. Thanks.

It's strange that essential footage like this has never received a complete official release.