Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

New cdbox with Jim Reeves.

Sat May 03, 2014 1:06 pm

This cdbox contains mostly demo songs by Jim,overdubbed With Music by Professional musician.
Read,here about it here: :smt007

http://www.jim-reeves.com/greatjimreeves.html

:mrgreen: :smt006

Re: New cdbox with Jim Reeves.

Sat May 03, 2014 7:55 pm

I already have the Bear Family mammoth 16 CD Box from a few years ago. I can't see myself buying this one.

Sat May 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Check out this amazing cdbox from Bear Family Records:

http://www.bear-family.com/en/country-w ... -book.html

:smt006

Sun May 04, 2014 4:09 am

40.00 for 8 cds 100.00+for 16 cds I'll take the 40 dollar 8cds.And save the rest for more Elvis.

Sun May 04, 2014 2:55 pm

This really is a labor of love involving talented people, including current members of the Grand Ole Opry band and other top players in Nashville, plus musicians in Florida, the Carolinas, Atlanta and even Europe! In some cases, the original arrangements were augmented with bigger string sections, better percussion, woodwinds, brass and/or keyboards to create a fuller, more complete sound. In other instances, the original backings were scrapped and whole new musical treatments were given Jim's wonderful songs. Compare these tracks to the originals and you'll hear a much improved quality...for a more contemporary listening experience — sometimes with subtle touches, and on other numbers there will be a BIG difference!

If it was an Elvis box with 42 tracks overdubbed in this manner, wouldn't everyone be complaining? Why is it acceptable, exciting even, when it's Jim Reeves?

Tue May 06, 2014 3:11 am

Idk.Must be picky EP fans.

Tue May 06, 2014 5:19 pm

Tommy73 wrote:Idk.Must be picky EP fans.

Not really. I don't think there's anything picky about not wanting to hear classic recordings tampered with after an artists death. If you're a Jim Reeves fan, and I wouldn't call myself a fan I'd merely say that I like his music, but why would somebody who really loves and admires what he did all those years ago want " a more contemporary listening experience"? Isn't that the same as saying the originals are old fashioned and not very good? Doesn't the phrase "better percussion" mean that the records which everyone grew up with contained percussion which is only average at best?

It might be different if these were old scratchy demo recordings which were never properly finished off, but by the sound of it these are fully realised studio masters that are being messed about with. I don't get it. I didn't get it when they did it to Elvis, and I don't get it now they're doing it to Jim Reeves.

Tue May 06, 2014 9:10 pm

I don't get it now they're doing it to Jim Reeves.
I bet to make it sound updated for people who don't like the sound of old recordings i guess idk?