Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Eddie Cochran died 54 years ago today

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:52 pm

The great Eddie Cochran died in a car crash on April 17, 1960, while on tour in England. He was only 21, but he left a huge musical legacy behind him. It's mind boggling to think about what he could have achieved. This is just a small tribute post to him.

First, the classic front cover of the "Daily Mail", published the day after the accident :

600418.jpg

Also, a small clipping from an Australian newspaper, published two days after the accident. It's worth noting that Cochran visited Australia in late 1957 :

600419 The Canberra Times.JPG

Australia.jpg

Finally, memorable footage of Eddie playing live on television in 1959. This is the only known example of him playing Chuck Berry's "School Day". It was discovered, along with other footage from the same day, in the late eighties, and subsequently released in many formats. Eddie is introduced by Dick D'Agostin, and is backed by Dick and his band, as well as by usual Cochran musicians Connie "Guybo" Smith (electric bass), and Gene Riggio (drums). Note that the first verse has Eddie singing to an unplugged mike, but the rest of the song is complete. Also interesting to note that Eddie plays rhythm guitar all through the song, while a member of D'Agostin's band plays the lead guitar licks. However, the guitar solo is of course played by Eddie, and it remains one of the best, ultracool, filmed segments of early rock and roll. Please, do check it out ! :

phpBB [video]

Eddie Cochran - "School Day" - "Town Hall Party" TV Show (Los Angeles) - Saturday, February 7, 1959.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Eddie Cochran died 54 years ago today

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Cool post, thank you. Eddie was a great talent, no doubt.

Newcastle Empire.jpg

As I've mentioned before, my father caught the final tour in Newcastle -- interestingly, the performer who he talks about most often from that show is Joe Brown, who ended his act shirtless.

phpBB [video]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks for the post.

Yes, I remember you mentioned this once. This is just great, George. Joe Brown shirtless! Does your father keep any other specific memories from that long gone day ?

It must have been really shocking for people in those audiences to learn about the accident.

Here's an interview with Eddie, done just three days after your father saw him performing on stage in Newcastle :

phpBB [video]

Interview with Eddie Cochran - Gaumont Theatre - Ipswich - Thursday, March 24, 1960.
Interview with Eddie after his appearance at The Gaumont Theatre in Ipswich as part of 'A Fast Moving Beat Show'. There were two shows that night, one at 5:30 and one at 8:00 pm. The interviewer is unknown.

More stuff about Eddie's UK visit :
http://www.eddiecochran.info/Sessions/VI.htm

And here's a nice photo from that tour :

Gene Joe Billy Eddie.jpg

Thanks again, and say hello to your father from us. :smt006

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:49 pm

Still one of the greatest tribute records ever made [produced by Joe Meek]:

phpBB [video]

Heinz - "Just Like Eddie" (Decca F11693)

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:15 am

Thanks, elvisalisellers.

Yes, that's a beautiful record. And it's even more interesting when you realise it was released in 1963 - three years after the accident. So it was hardly an opportunistic move.

Similarly, in 1961, Joe Meek produced another tribute record, this time in memory of Buddy Holly, who had died more than two years earlier. It's also a great record :

phpBB [video]

Mike Berry with The Outlaws - "Tribute To Buddy Holly" - HMV single 912 - Released September 1961.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:04 am

George Smith wrote:Cool post, thank you. Eddie was a great talent, no doubt.

Newcastle Empire.jpg

As I've mentioned before, my father caught the final tour in Newcastle -- interestingly, the performer who he talks about most often from that show is Joe Brown, who ended his act shirtless.

phpBB [video]

I'm not sure out of that bunch Joe Brown would be the one that should be shirtless! But Lenny the Lion at the end of that clip. Brings back memories!

Cochran was a formidable talent, more recognised as such in Europe than America for some reason. His recordings have a wonderful vitality to them - they aren't all great, but they sure are fun, and he managed to somehow mix pure sexuality, humour and vulnerability on record that is as captivating today as when the music was created.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:49 am

His best recordings, most notably ’Summertime Blues’ and ’Somethin’ Else’, to me represent the very best of 50s rock ’n’ roll. They were amazing records back then: so tight, well-produced and way ahead of their time. One wonders what future Cochran would have had, had it not been for that tragic car crash.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:00 am

Mister Moon wrote:The great Eddie Cochran died in a car crash on April 17, 1960, while on tour in England. He was only 21, but he left a huge musical legacy behind him. It's mind boggling to think about what he could have achieved. This is just a small tribute post to him.

First, the classic front cover of the "Daily Mail", published the day after the accident :

Also, a small clipping from an Australian newspaper, published two days after the accident. It's worth noting that Cochran visited Australia in late 1957 :

Finally, memorable footage of Eddie playing live on television in 1959. This is the only known example of him playing Chuck Berry's "School Day". It was discovered, along with other footage from the same day, in the late eighties, and subsequently released in many formats. Eddie is introduced by Dick D'Agostin, and is backed by Dick and his band, as well as by usual Cochran musicians Connie "Guybo" Smith (electric bass), and Gene Riggio (drums). Note that the first verse has Eddie singing to an unplugged mike, but the rest of the song is complete. Also interesting to note that Eddie plays rhythm guitar all through the song, while a member of D'Agostin's band plays the lead guitar licks. However, the guitar solo is of course played by Eddie, and it remains one of the best, ultracool, filmed segments of early rock and roll. Please, do check it out ! :

phpBB [video]

Eddie Cochran - "School Day" - "Town Hall Party" TV Show (Los Angeles) - Saturday, February 7, 1959.

Man, that was a long time ago now.

Certainly, the multi-talented Eddie Cochran will be most remembered for his furious, yet delightful, rock 'n' roll singles like "Summertime Blues," "My Way," "Something Else," "Jeannie Jeannie Jeannie," "C'mon Everybody" and "Twenty-Flight Rock." His balladry, much less so.

Crucially important bands like the Who and the Sex Pistols would later make great live and studio recordings of these selections, not to mention the Stray Cats, and in fact Paul McCartney's successful July 1957 audition for the Quarrymen (later to become the Beatles) was wholly due to his note-perfect rendition of "Twenty-Flight Rock."

That great photo of Eddie with Little Richard and Alis Lesley is from the now-legendary, October 1957 visit of Australia. This is the tour where Little Richard freaked out, threw his diamond rings into the ocean and renounced rock 'n' roll for religion. Ultimately, it didn't take.

R.I.P. Eddie!

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:15 am

Bonus Eddie!

Here's a fully-autographed copy of the fabulous October 1957 Aussie tour program, promoted by Lee Gordon. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

571000_Australian Tour Program_01.JPG

571000_Australian Tour Program_02.JPG

571000_Australian Tour Program_03.JPG

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:16 am

571000_Australian Tour Program_04.JPG

571000_Australian Tour Program_05.JPG

571000_Australian Tour Program_06.JPG

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:06 am

Excellent follow-up, John, thank you.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks poormadpeter, Rock Legend, and Doc for your posts. They are much appreciated. Eddie was truly... Somethin' Else !

Doc, that Australian program is priceless. I wish it was mine, and I wish I had been there to witness that mighty rock and roll show.

Thanks everybody !

To be continued...

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:23 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Thanks, elvisalisellers.

Yes, that's a beautiful record. And it's even more interesting when you realise it was released in 1963 - three years after the accident. So it was hardly an opportunistic move.

Similarly, in 1961, Joe Meek produced another tribute record, this time in memory of Buddy Holly, who had died more than two years earlier. It's also a great record :

phpBB [video]

Mike Berry with The Outlaws - "Tribute To Buddy Holly" - HMV single 912 - Released September 1961.

Good stuff, Mister Moon.

Are you familiar with the moving, elegiac tribute song that Sharon Sheeley [Eddie's girlfriend] co-wrote with Jackie DeShannon shortly after his death?

Although never officially released [it did leak out on a rare DeShannon "Demos" CD a while back], it was first heard on the excellent 1982 BBC Arena documentary [see link below] devoted to Cochran.

Boy, if ever a song pulls at the heartstrings, it's this one.
[BTW, it's the great Mac Davis who sings backing vocals on it.]

Jackie DeShannon - "We'll Be Together Again" (Demo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1oCI#t=217

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:26 pm

A documentary about Eddie Cochran:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ex8thOruSU

:smt006

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:46 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Are you familiar with the moving, elegiac tribute song that Sharon Sheeley [Eddie's girlfriend] co-wrote with Jackie DeShannon shortly after his death?

Although never officially released [it did leak out on a rare DeShannon "Demos" CD a while back], it was first heard on the excellent 1982 BBC Arena documentary [see link below] devoted to Cochran.

Boy, if ever a song pulls at the heartstrings, it's this one.
[BTW, it's the great Mac Davis who sings backing vocals on it.]

Jackie DeShannon - "We'll Be Together Again" (Demo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1oCI#t=217

Thanks for the post, elvisalisellers.

I didn't know about this tribute song by Sheeley / DeShannon. Thanks for pointing this out.

I have a Sharon Sheeley demos CD, but this song is not there. I will look for the Jackie one. Here's the one by Sharon, in case you're not familiar with it, and are interested in it :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Songwriter-Sharon-Sheeley/dp/B00004U67Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397832284&sr=8-1&keywords=%22SHARON+SHEELEY%22
Last edited by Mister Moon on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:56 pm

svallen wrote:A documentary about Eddie Cochran:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ex8thOruSU

Thanks, svallen, for the link to this interesting documentary.

There are several highlights in it, like the vintage home films of Eddie and Sharon. Short but priceless.

It's great to hear first hand accounts of people who went to some of Eddie's concerts during his British tour. I would have liked to hear more about that, and I could have done without that morbid hospital visit by Sharon. That brings nothing new or interesting to our picture of the man, the real subject of the documentary.

Also, very nice to see The Crickets, who backed Eddie during his last studio date, in January 1960, where the classics "Three Steps To Heaven" (final version), "Cherished Memories", and "Cut Across Shorty" were recorded.

As we are on an Elvis board, some may be interested in spotting Glen Hardin at the 19:05 point, backing Eddie's nephew Bobby Cochran as part of The Crickets, along with Jerry Allison and Joe B. Mauldin, who are also seen with Sheeley at the accident spot.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:19 pm

A short story about Eddie Cochran:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO4fIjfEZuM

:smt006

Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:12 am

George Smith wrote:Excellent follow-up, John, thank you.

Thank you for the kind words!

Mister Moon wrote:Doc, that Australian program is priceless. I wish it was mine, and I wish I had been there to witness that mighty rock and roll show.

You and me both, brother. So glad you enjoyed it.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:06 pm

Obscure cover of the Sheeley/DeShannon Cochran tribute song "We'll Be Together Again":

phpBB [video]

Dex Romweber Duo (from the album Images 13)

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:30 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Obscure cover of the Sheeley/DeShannon Cochran tribute song "We'll Be Together Again":

phpBB [video]

Dex Romweber Duo (from the album Images 13)

Thanks for the post, elvisalisellers. Interesting stuff.

I'm not very much into it, but I know Romweber from his earlier band, Flat Duo Jets, who used to cover obscure rockabilly songs in a very lo-fi style.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:54 pm

Check the unbelievable amount of talented guys and gals on this November 1957 concert (sorry, I don't have the original source for this ad) :

571101 DENVER.jpg

Thu May 01, 2014 12:18 am

Great topic! Thanks! :smt023 :smt023 :smt023

Eddie Cochran is an original, one of the true rockers. Together with Elvis and Buddy Holly, my favourite 50's recording artist.
This guy had it all, the looks, the voice, the talent for playing a mean guitar, as well as the talent for writing.
And if it hadn't been for this dude from Tupelo, Cochran would have been the singer with the coolest hairdo ever!

A lesser known song, listen to how nasty he sings "Well-a, honey, honey ...". Brilliant!
This great song was later overdubbed with a train-intro and a clearer handclap (but I wasn't able to find this version on Youtube)

Don't Bye Bye Baby Me:
phpBB [video]

And my most beloved Cochran-cover, Sweet Little Sixteen, from Boy Meets Girl.
Such a shame the footage of this show is gone ...
This is an absolute awesome rocking live version, check it out:

phpBB [video]

Eddie Cochran R.O.C.K.S. !!

Thu May 01, 2014 12:48 am

Thanks, Bob. Great post !

Yes, the "Sweet Little Sixteen" live recording from 1960 is incredible. He was clearly at home covering Chuck Berry.

Regarding "Don't Bye, Bye Baby Me", there are several alternate takes and overdub variations available, as you're probably aware. Dutch fan Antoon Van Olderen's website has a very detailed listing of everything Eddie recorded. This link has all the information about this particular song (end of page):

http://www.eddiecochran.info/Sessions/V.htm

Thu May 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Thank you for the link MM!
I had an article (either a discography or a photo journal) in mind for Echoes for many months. But this guy has done it all already (and more) on his website!
Just awesome, what a wealth of information!

I can't remember where it was, but I know you posted an Arena documentary not too long ago on this forum (maybe the one about the Everly Bros?).
On YouTube is also the Arena docu about Eddie Cochran. The quality is not too good (and it's in 6 parts), but like all other Arena docu's this one is brilliant.

Man, this topic sure has gotten me back in an Eddie Cochran mood! :smt023

Thu May 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Bob-Holland wrote:Thank you for the link MM!
I had an article (either a discography or a photo journal) in mind for Echoes for many months. But this guy has done it all already (and more) on his website!
Just awesome, what a wealth of information!

Yes, it's an incredible website, with lots of information about Eddie's recordings. However, it hasn't been updated for more than a year, and there's some details about recently issued stuff that are not there yet. I'm sure Antoon will eventually update it, though.

Bob-Holland wrote:I can't remember where it was, but I know you posted an Arena documentary not too long ago on this forum (maybe the one about the Everly Bros?).
On YouTube is also the Arena docu about Eddie Cochran. The quality is not too good (and it's in 6 parts), but like all other Arena docu's this one is brilliant.

I haven't seen the Cochran "Arena" documentary. I will look it up.

The two "Arena" specials I posted were about The Everly Brothers and Buddy Holly. If the one about Eddie is only half as good as those, it will be such a treat. Thanks for the information.