Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

New Sinatra releases

Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:35 am

For anyone who doesn't have the majority of the capitol albums, a PD label in the UK is release all the 1954-61 albums in a 9 CD boxed set for £15! Considering the Capitol releases of these albums currently available were mastered back in 1988 for the part, the quality is likely to be as good or better!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J0YABJ2/ref=pe_198281_47009121_pe_epc__1p_2_ti

The Las Vegas boxed set is also on its way later in the year in a repackaged form - cheaper than the original issue, but without the DVD.

Finally, for those were collecting the Universal releases of the reprise albums, the missing Sinatra's Sinatra has now been reissued too!

Re: New Sinatra releases

Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:09 pm

I've been seeing that little box on fnac for months. A friend of mine bought it back in January and he says it features the 1998 masterings-mixes :( I'll borrow them to see if he's right

The Vegas box without the DVD was released also some time ago. Is neat and cheap, sized as a jewel cd case, not tall like the 2006 original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:36 pm

frus75 wrote:I've been seeing that little box on fnac for months. A friend of mine bought it back in January and he says it features the 1998 masterings-mixes :( I'll borrow them to see if he's right

The Vegas box without the DVD was released also some time ago. Is neat and cheap, sized as a jewel cd case, not tall like the 2006 original.

That was the New York Box, I think - they re-released that but not the Vegas one.

The 1998 masterings were done for the Capitol Years boxed set in the UK, right? If so, then I think they are the best out there (with maybe one or two albums as exceptions). The ones on the individual CDs issued by Capitol are from ten years prior to that.

New Sinatra releases

Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:16 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
frus75 wrote:I've been seeing that little box on fnac for months. A friend of mine bought it back in January and he says it features the 1998 masterings-mixes :( I'll borrow them to see if he's right

That was the New York Box, I think - they re-released that but not the Vegas one.

The 1998 masterings were done for the Capitol Years boxed set in the UK, right? If so, then I think they are the best out there (with maybe one or two albums as exceptions). The ones on the individual CDs issued by Capitol are from ten years prior to that.

Yes! It was New York. My mistake, I'm sorry.

The capitol releases were mastered many times, but mainly twice: in the 80s by Larry Walsh (some of them were remixed too) and in 1998 and beyond by Bon Norberg (on the entertainer of the century series). The former are mostly great and the later bad.

The uk 1998 box masterings are different and in most cases represent the best available source. Sinatra's swingin session, for example, even surpasses the recent SACD version.

There is a great chart analyzing the different mastering for each capitol album , I'll post it here.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:19 pm

I love the monster Reprise box issued in '95. Great sound. It is the mecca & holy grail of all Sinatra releases. (IMHO)

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:32 pm

poormadpeter wrote:For anyone who doesn't have the majority of the capitol albums, a PD label in the UK is release all the 1954-61 albums in a 9 CD boxed set for £15! Considering the Capitol releases of these albums currently available were mastered back in 1988 for the part, the quality is likely to be as good or better!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J0YABJ2/ref=pe_198281_47009121_pe_epc__1p_2_ti

The Las Vegas boxed set is also on its way later in the year in a repackaged form - cheaper than the original issue, but without the DVD.

Finally, for those were collecting the Universal releases of the reprise albums, the missing Sinatra's Sinatra has now been reissued too!

Thanks for the alert and posting the link.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:02 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:I love the monster Reprise box issued in '95. Great sound. It is the mecca & holy grail of all Sinatra releases. (IMHO)

It is. But the European universal reissues of the reprise albums from a couple of years ago are, by and large, significant improvements on that sound.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:14 am

Thanks, PMP.