Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:41 pm

This is from blues harmonica player Bob Corritore's website :

Historic Photos From Mud Morganfield

Mud Morganfield is the eldest son of Muddy Waters. His mother, Mildred McGhee, was seeing Muddy in the 1950s and had a few historic photos seen below. Mud has shared these images from his family photo album. Thank you Mud Morganfield!


Muddy 1.jpg


Muddy 2.jpg


Muddy 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Muddy 4.jpg


Muddy 5.jpg


Muddy 6.jpg


http://bobcorritore.com/photos/historic-photos-from-mud-morganfield/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:35 am

These are fantastic candids. Thanks for finding and sharing them. Hubert Sumlin played lead guitar for years in Howlin' Wolf's band, starting around 1954, so that photo of him must be from a Chess tour where Wolf and Waters shared a bill. Or from a short period in 1956 where Hubert was in the Waters band. Wow!

Waters' studio work for Chess between 1947 and 1960 is so wonderful, much of it may be heard on Muddy Waters: The Chess Box. And his Live At Newport 1960 LP is simply amazing.


601115_Chess 1449.jpg
Muddy Waters At Newport 1960 (Chess LP 1449, November 15, 1960)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_Newport_1960
Recorded on Sunday, July 3, 1960.


How crazy is it Waters was basically a singles artist for the first twenty years of his career? Or that it was one of his singles that gave the Rolling Stones their name, not to mention the legendary Rolling Stone magazine?

Listen to the pristine, precise lead guitar! It's fantastic.


500300_Chess 1426_Waters.jpg


phpBB [video]



Muddy Waters "Rollin' Stone" (Chess 1426, March 1950)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollin%27_Stone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muddy_Waters_discography

"Rollin' Stone" is a solo performance by Muddy Waters, just his vocals and electric guitar.
This was the second record released on the fledgling Chess label, out of Chicago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks for the great post, Doc.

Muddy Waters is a giant of American music, that's for sure !

As you said, his early work is amazing, including his pre-Chess "plantation" recordings, which are a fabulous document, as they include not only music but also interviews with Waters done at the same time.

It boggles the mind to think the incredible talent that Chess had in those years, not only in their stars (Waters, Wolf, Williamson...), but also in the sidemen, which included names like Hubert Sumlin, Otis Spann, Little Walter (soon to be a star in his own right), Jimmy Rogers, and many others, often playing together in the same band and / or recording sessions. Every guy, a virtuoso, a master of his instrument. The music they made is a treasure !

Not to mention Willie Dixon...

Thanks again.

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:15 pm

Oh, just one more thing I remembered...

Here's the complete Muddy Waters discography, as compiled by Phil Wight and Fred Rothwell, and published by UK magazine "Blues & Rhythm". These are PDF archives, which I printed in A3 format :

http://www.bluesandrhythm.co.uk/documents/200.pdf

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Sat May 03, 2014 9:49 pm

Always delivering the goods, Mr. Moon.

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Sat May 03, 2014 10:18 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Always delivering the goods, Mr. Moon.


Thanks !

Muddy Waters rules !

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:10 am

I found this nice photo online, which is clearly lifted from a book or magazine.

It's not from the 50s, as the rest of the images seen here, but it's a good excuse to bring the thread back to life !


Muddy +.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:19 am

Nice, classy post: sorry I missed it first time around.

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:36 am

George Smith wrote:Nice, classy post: sorry I missed it first time around.


Thanks, George. Very glad you enjoyed it.

By the way, I attended a Jimmy Rogers concert in 1995, and I had the honor of briefly meeting him after the show. He signed my ticket, too !


Waters band.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:44 am

Is this Jimmie Rodgers Snow you're thinking of?

If so, I had no idea he was still performing.

What did you think of the gig? How was the beat ... the beat ... the beat ...

(Just joking.)

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:48 am

George Smith wrote:Is this Jimmie Rodgers Snow you're thinking of?

If so, I had no idea he was still performing.

What did you think of the gig? How was the beat ... the beat ... the beat ...

(Just joking.)


:)

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:37 am

Mister Moon wrote:I found this nice photo online, which is clearly lifted from a book or magazine.

It's not from the 50s, as the rest of the images seen here, but it's a good excuse to bring the thread back to life !


Image



This may be from sometime in early 1948. Sonny Boy Williamson was murdered in a late-night robbery on June 1, 1948, and he'd released a single on RCA Victor in October 1947 called "Lacey Belle." And it may have been taken at the Triangle Inn in Chicago, as Eddie Boyd was playing in Williamson's band around this time. He was the "first" to call himself Sonny Boy Williamson, with the second one really coming into his own after the 1948 Chicago murder.



phpBB [video]


Sonny Boy Williamson "Lacey Belle" (RCA Victor 20-2521, October 25, 1947)



471025_RCA Victor 2521_Williamson.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:This may be from sometime in early 1948. Sonny Boy Williamson was murdered in a late-night robbery on June 1, 1948, and he'd released a single on RCA Victor in October 1947 called "Lacey Belle." And it may have been taken at the Triangle Inn in Chicago, as Eddie Boyd was playing in Williamson's band around this time. He was the "first" to call himself Sonny Boy Williamson, with the second one really coming into his own after the 1948 Chicago murder.



phpBB [video]


Sonny Boy Williamson "Lacey Belle" (RCA Victor 20-2521, October 25, 1947)




Tremendous stuff, doc.

Thanks for researching the date and location of the photo !

Re: Rare Muddy Waters Photos From The 50s

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:10 am

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:This may be from sometime in early 1948. Sonny Boy Williamson was murdered in a late-night robbery on June 1, 1948, and he'd released a single on RCA Victor in October 1947 called "Lacey Belle." And it may have been taken at the Triangle Inn in Chicago, as Eddie Boyd was playing in Williamson's band around this time. He was the "first" to call himself Sonny Boy Williamson, with the second one really coming into his own after the 1948 Chicago murder.



phpBB [video]


Sonny Boy Williamson "Lacey Belle" (RCA Victor 20-2521, October 25, 1947)


Image




Tremendous stuff, doc.

Thanks for researching the date and location of the photo !


It's educated guesswork, but I suspect I'm pretty close to the truth.