Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Pearl Jam

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:13 am

Not sure if you guys would consider this band classic but I know they are up there from my generation.

phpBB [video]

Re: Pearl Jam

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Absolutely, and next to Nirvana and Alice in Chains, they both epitomised and stood at the forefront of the grunge scene during the early nineties -- as you no doubt know. Ten was one of the best albums of the era and remains poignant, powerful and very impressive over twenty years later. It was also a mammoth commercial success, which they struggled with to some degree, but grew as a band and continued to make fine music long after Vs. and Vitalogy. Conversely, Alice in Chains didn't seem to advance upon what they done with Dirt and Jar of Flies, which were terrific, but Vedder didn't have the same emotional and substance issues of Layne Staley or Kurt Kobain. And whilst their music has stood the test of time and, as a band, they've grown, grown-up, and modernised enough to remain current, they don't easily latch onto the many fleeting trends in a discordant rock scene. On Backspacer and Lighting Bolt, they're doing things that would surely have been beyond them in the nineties, although not necessarily in making better music, but having traded angst and anger for a brooding growl and an introspective nature that's Pearl Jam through-and-through. But Vedder's solo material is uniquely his own, and although I don't think the Into the Wild soundtrack to be a masterpiece, there's some haunting and fascinating stuff on there. Ukulele Songs is very good, however, and quite a world away from Ten . . . Pearl Jam also do a fine cover of Can't Help Falling in Love, which I guess you've heard. Their take on My Way, Elvis-style, complete with impersonator, was more for laughs, but deadly serious all the same. But they're such a great band and despite having stepped away from the more commercial aspect of the music business, they remain popular and revered. And rightly so.

Pearl Jam

Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:22 pm

memphisound wrote:Not sure if you guys would consider this band classic but I know they are up there from my generation.

phpBB [video]

Pearl Jams "Ten" is a must for any music fans collection. A powerhouse of an album, and with it being their debut album, they set themselves a pretty high standard, which was impossible to live up to. How could it be bettered?

Easily in my top five all time favourite albums.
Last edited by memfisking on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pearl Jam

Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:27 pm

greystoke wrote:Absolutely, and next to Nirvana and Alice in Chains, they both epitomised and stood at the forefront of the grunge scene during the early nineties --

Don't forget Soundgarden and the great but short lived Temple of the Dog, without whom, there would be no Pearl Jam.
Last edited by memfisking on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:40 pm

memfisking wrote:
greystoke wrote:Absolutely, and next to Nirvana and Alice in Chains, they both epitomised and stood at the forefront of the grunge scene during the early nineties --

Don't forget Soundgarden and the great but short lived Temple of the Dog (without whom, there would be no Pearl Jam.

Oh, yes. And Audioslave. But Cornell is a genius in my book; an amazingly talented singer and a tremendous musician. It's a long time since I last heard anyone mention Temple of the Dog, though. Great days for music back then.

Pearl Jam

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:14 pm

greystoke wrote:
memfisking wrote:

Don't forget Soundgarden and the great but short lived Temple of the Dog (without whom, there would be no Pearl Jam.

Oh, yes. And Audioslave. But Cornell is a genius in my book; an amazingly talented singer and a tremendous musician. It's a long time since I last heard anyone mention Temple of the Dog, though. Great days for music back then.

Yes, the good old days. I played "Badmotorfinger" and "Temple of the Dog" constantly, and the excitement of listening to "Ten" for the first time. Along with G'n'R's "Appetite For Destruction" and Radioheads "Pablo Honey", they just don't make albums like that any more, imo.

I have to admit, there was a period of about 5/6years that Elvis took a back seat from about '87 to '93 approx when so much great music was being released.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:18 am

memfisking wrote:
greystoke wrote:
memfisking wrote:

Yes, the good old days. I played "Badmotorfinger" and "Temple of the Dog" constantly, and the excitement of listening to "Ten" for the first time. Along with G'n'R's "Appetite For Destruction" and Radioheads "Pablo Honey", they just don't make albums like that any more, imo.

I have to admit, there was a period of about 5/6years that Elvis took a back seat from about '87 to '93 approx when so much great music was being released.

Same here! Unfortunately I've yet to hear the "Ten" album or anything from Alice In Chains... :oops: