Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Frank Sinatra -- SACD

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has issued

Nice 'n Easy -- CD.
No One Cares -- CD.
Point of No Return -- CD.
Sinatra and Strings -- vinyl only.
Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!! -- CD and vinyl.
Swing Along With Me -- vinyl only.
The Concert Sinatra -- vinyl only.
Where Are You? -- CD and vinyl.
Only the Lonely -- CD.

Mobile Fidelity offers the lowest price anywhere on their website:

http://www.mofi.com/SearchResults.asp?s ... =20&page=1

Re: Frank Sinatra -- SACD

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:21 am

May I recommend the Gordon Jenkins collaborations. Those strings feel like they're being pulled out of your guts.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:46 am

Frank's work with Gordon Jenkins was uniformly excellent and represents, in many ways, the very best of their artistry across four decades. The bar was set tremendously high with the extraordinary 1957 album, Where Are You?, which is certainly one of my favourite albums, but it's easy to be impressed by almost everything they done together. Less-known, however, is Jenkins' marvellous score for Frank's 1980 film, The First Deadly Sin. Directed by Brian G. Hutton, who acted alongside Elvis as Dummy, in King Creole, Jenkins imbued this sombre crime drama with a devastating use of strings and jazz-tinged blue notes that sink with despair amidst a bleak narrative. It's one of the great unsung scores of the era, being not entirely dissimilar to Bernard Herrmann's stellar work on Taxi Driver in that they both hark back to the plaintive, lonely and desolate scores of forties and fifties film noir.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:26 am

I couldn't have said it better myself, greystoke. Has the score to The First Deadly Sin been released? I'm not aware of a soundtrack. I watched the film recently and was pleasantly surprised to find it had a Gordon Jenkins score. I didn't know he composed film scores.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:38 pm

Richard--W wrote:I couldn't have said it better myself, greystoke. Has the score to The First Deadly Sin been released? I'm not aware of a soundtrack. I watched the film recently and was pleasantly surprised to find it had a Gordon Jenkins score. I didn't know he composed film scores.

I'm not aware of this soundtrack having been released on CD or LP -- I've certainly not come across it. Jenkins only composed a few film scores, with this and his atmospheric score for Bwana Devil being the only ones of note. But it would only make sense that it had an LP release of some sort.