Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The Everly Brothers - "Rock'n'Roll Odyssey" Documentary

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:54 pm

"Rock'n'Roll Odyssey" was a 75-documentary produced in 1984, and originally aired by PBS. It was subsequently issued as a home video, and was even available as a DVD.

It's an outstanding document for those interested in the music of The Everly Brothers, as it features interviews with Don and Phil, and also with other people, like Chet Atkins, who worked with them, playing and producing, for many years. The film also includes lots of vintage performance footage, some of it quite rare.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/rock-n-roll-odyssey-video-mw0000268151

I have tried to find this on YouTube, but unfortunately the uploader only included the first 20 minutes of the documentary. If you know of any other source where to find the rest of the material, please let us know.

Anyway, here's what I could find. It deals with Don and Phil's beginnings in music :

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Re: The Everly Brothers - "Rock'n'Roll Odyssey" Documentary

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:15 am

DSCN1354.JPG
The recordings of Phil Everly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:15 am

DSCN1355.JPG
Phil Everly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:38 am

Good stuff, Barry. Thanks for your post.

Here's an incredibly informative site on Don and Phil's recordings, both as a duo and solo :

http://www.everly.net/file/disco/disco.htm

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:58 am

Thanks for the info, great site.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:02 am

Barry wrote:Thanks for the info, great site.

You're welcome, Barry.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:39 am

I think this is a link to the full program:

phpBB [video]

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:16 pm

Mike C wrote:I think this is a link to the full program:

phpBB [video]

Thanks for the link, Mike.

I had not seen this before. This is a different documentary called "The Everly Brothers - Songs Of Innocence And Experience" that was broadcast by the BBC as part of their "Arena" specials, also in 1984.

I haven't seen the entire "Rock'n'Roll Odyssey" for years, but from what I recall and could see in the two videos I posted above, this BBC documentary shares many of the interview and vintage materials with "Rock'n'Roll Odyssey", although probably both have exclusive stuff, so they're both essential in this regard.

Thanks again !

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:13 am

I remember seeing this show on PBS back in 1984, bought the video a little later on. There were also specials about the Evs on a couple of the cable channels 10 or 15 years ago, will have to dig through my tapes to find those.