Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Bob Dylan's finest hour

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:39 am

There are several different editions of Bob Dylan's concert for the BBC in 1965 put out by different European labels, but this edition, on the Black Dog label, is the one you want.

If you can find it.

In 1965 no one had ever heard verse like this, and no one had ever heard verse like this sung, before. The songs are surreal mind-trips that come out of some dark place. Dylan's musicianship is erratic and yet positively brilliant. He is in full command of his voice, and puts the words across easily and beautifully, with all the husk and bark left on. The audience totally gets it.

Dylan delivered several astounding concerts in 1965. This is my favorite.

Re: Bob Dylan's finest hour

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:24 pm

What Bob Dylan did during his spring 1965 tour in the U.K. was fantastic, and D.A. Pennebaker's "Don't Look Back" tells the story in memorable fashion. His first two days back, in Columbia's New York studio on June 15 and 16, he began work on Highway 61 Revisited, including a number called ... "Like A Rolling Stone."

I have this BBC disc and it is wonderful, a dozen incredible songs, one after the other, although I prefer what he did on stage in London a year later.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Then you probably also have the Free Trade Hall, Manchester concert from 7 May 1965? That's a real soundboard. Dylan is in fine humor. I prefer his funereal mood in the BBC concert. Yet they are both milestones. I wish the Dylan organization would release full, uninterrupted concerts from 1965, including the complete and uninterrupted audio from Newport. Dont Look Back and The Other Side of the Mirror, while indispensable and essential films, only show excerpts. Extended excerpts that leave one panting for the whole thing.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:25 pm

Richard--W wrote:Then you probably also have the Free Trade Hall, Manchester concert from 7 May 1965? That's a real soundboard. Dylan is in fine humor. I prefer his funereal mood in the BBC concert. Yet they are both milestones. I wish the Dylan organization would release full, uninterrupted concerts from 1965, including the complete and uninterrupted audio from Newport. Dont Look Back and The Other Side of the Mirror, while indispensable and essential films, only show excerpts. Extended excerpts that leave one panting for the whole thing.

No, I don't have that one yet, but it's on the list.

950000_Nows The Time For Your Tears.jpg
Now's the Time for your Tears
http://www.bobsboots.com/CDs/cd-n38.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:02 am

Wow, great tracklisting! Love all the songs included.
A friend is bringing me from the US the Complete Columbia Albums collection, comprising 47 (!) CDs. Can't wait!

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:13 am

Let us know what you think of the box-set when you receive, and of the music therein.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Richard--W wrote:Then you probably also have the Free Trade Hall, Manchester concert from 7 May 1965? That's a real soundboard. Dylan is in fine humor. I prefer his funereal mood in the BBC concert. Yet they are both milestones. I wish the Dylan organization would release full, uninterrupted concerts from 1965, including the complete and uninterrupted audio from Newport. Dont Look Back and The Other Side of the Mirror, while indispensable and essential films, only show excerpts. Extended excerpts that leave one panting for the whole thing.

No, I don't have that one yet, but it's on the list.

950000_Nows The Time For Your Tears.jpg
Now's the Time for your Tears
http://www.bobsboots.com/CDs/cd-n38.html

Now's the Time For Your Tears is awfully hard to get hold of. I have it. The same concert is also on 1965 Revisited volume 4, What Are You Trying to Say?, and From the Heart volume 2. There is also a fine source tape, which I have on reel to reel. I'd be happy to send you a complimentary clone.