Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

RIP Phil Everly

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:45 am

The great Phil Everly has passed away.

I had the good fortune to see them in concert in the 1980's and they sounded magnificent. After one show in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand, they were traveling back to LA on the same plane that I was on. The flight was delayed and I got to spend a few moments talking with Phil in the lounge. He was a very cordial, gentle man. May he rest in peace.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/ar ... -78769244/

Re: RIP Phil Everly

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:25 am

I saw them in the early 90s the show was great.Sad loss.

Re: RIP Phil Everly

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:37 am

RIP Phil Everly. Thanks for all the fantastic Music.

Re: RIP Phil Everly

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:12 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:The great Phil Everly has passed away.

I had the good fortune to see them in concert in the 1980's and they sounded magnificent. After one show in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand, they were traveling back to LA on the same plane that I was on. The flight was delayed and I got to spend a few moments talking with Phil in the lounge. He was a very cordial, gentle man. May he rest in peace.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78769244/


The Everly Brothers made great records and influenced countless acts, from pop to country to rock. Perhaps one of the biggest examples is how the Beatles' John Lennon and Paul McCartney's wonderful harmonies evoked the sound of the Everlys.

On their thrilling 1963 BBC Radio recordings, where they performed scores of covers they never formally released, one may hear more direct examples:

Lucille (used Everly Brothers' arrangement of Little Richard classic)
So How Come (No One Loves Me) -- George on lead, John and Paul doing harmonies

Both are found, back-to-back, on the same wonderful album:


Image

Everly Brothers A Date With The Everly Brothers (Warner Brothers WS 1395, December 10, 1960)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4zmuCZ8HZc&t=15m54s


The article says a lifetime of smoking is what caused Phil's death. Another cautionary tale, to be sure. R.I.P., Phil.

Re: RIP Phil Everly

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:10 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:The great Phil Everly has passed away.

I had the good fortune to see them in concert in the 1980's and they sounded magnificent. After one show in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand, they were traveling back to LA on the same plane that I was on. The flight was delayed and I got to spend a few moments talking with Phil in the lounge. He was a very cordial, gentle man. May he rest in peace.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/ar ... -78769244/


So sad to learn about this.

The Everly Brothers were one of the truly great acts in early rock and roll.
Last edited by Mister Moon on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: RIP Phil Everly

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:15 pm

Very sad news. I was and still am a great fan of the Everly Brothers - my all time favourite duo. I went to see them in Brighton for their 1984 reunion UK tour and they were fantastic.

My sincere condolences to Don Everly and Phil's wife and family. R.I.P. Phil.

Re: RIP Phil Everly

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:54 pm

Oh my. I'm really devastated. Love their old stuff very much. :cry:

Goodbye, Phil and R.I.P.

Re: RIP Phil Everly

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:10 pm

Very sad to hear this. One of the few artists of the 50's who made great comeback albums in the 80's. They sounded as great as ever. Saw them many times in concert from 1984-88. Always great, always gracious to fans. RIP Phil.

Re: RIP Phil Everly

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:27 pm

A sad day for Rock and Roll .......RIP my friend.

Re: RIP Phil Everly

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:34 pm

Rest him in peace. They were great. Another group inspired by them was Simon and Garfunkel. I listened many times to their live version of "Bye Bye Love", and also to the original, the Everly Brothers big hit from 1957.

Re: RIP Phil Everly

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:27 pm

The duo is no longer with us, but thanks to countless recordings, the music lives on forever.

Thank you, Phil (and Don).

Re: RIP Phil Everly

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:24 am

r&b wrote:Very sad to hear this. One of the few artists of the 50's who made great comeback albums in the 80's. They sounded as great as ever. Saw them many times in concert from 1984-88. Always great, always gracious to fans. RIP Phil.
Ditto. Love the reunion albums, and saw them on tour 3 times in the 80's. Always thought I would get one more chance to see them together.

Re: RIP Phil Everly

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:43 am

Lonely Summer wrote:
r&b wrote:Very sad to hear this. One of the few artists of the 50's who made great comeback albums in the 80's. They sounded as great as ever. Saw them many times in concert from 1984-88. Always great, always gracious to fans. RIP Phil.
Ditto. Love the reunion albums, and saw them on tour 3 times in the 80's. Always thought I would get one more chance to see them together.


Me too. When did they officially last perform?

Re: RIP Phil Everly

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:49 am

r&b wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:
r&b wrote:Very sad to hear this. One of the few artists of the 50's who made great comeback albums in the 80's. They sounded as great as ever. Saw them many times in concert from 1984-88. Always great, always gracious to fans. RIP Phil.
Ditto. Love the reunion albums, and saw them on tour 3 times in the 80's. Always thought I would get one more chance to see them together.


Me too. When did they officially last perform?

I'm not sure - thinking that they did at least one tour in the last 10-15 years, and Chet Atkins died around that time, and after Chet died, they decided to take a break, which ended up being permanent.