Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Happy Birthday Broken Heart

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:32 am

This beautiful track is a lesser known offering from Barry (Who Put the Bomp) Mann.

Just adore those 'zigga zigga zigga oooh's'. Enjoy.

phpBB [video]

Re: Happy Birthday Broken Heart

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:55 am

Is today your birthday?

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:02 am

mike edwards66 wrote:This beautiful track is a lesser known offering from Barry (Who Put the Bomp) Mann.

Just adore those 'zigga zigga zigga oooh's'. Enjoy.

phpBB [video]

Never heard it before, mike. Thanks for posting it.

It reminds me of Neil Sedaka's "The Diary", a kind of faux-doowop record, but still retaining the innocence and some of the feeling of the great classics of the genre.

Hey, do you like The Fleetwoods ?

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:29 am

So that broken heart is being offered for sale?

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:40 pm

Mister Moon wrote: It reminds me of Neil Sedaka's "The Diary", a kind of faux-doowop record, but still retaining the innocence and some of the feeling of the great classics of the genre.

Agree, now you mention it, it is similar to Sedaka's 'The Diary'. As you say 'faux-doowop', and there's nothing wrong with that !

I find The Fleetwoods a bit lightweight for my tastes, I prefer a strong(er) lead vocal, male or female, on a bed of lush backing. Of their stuff, when the mood takes, I am partial to this little ditty:
phpBB [video]

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Is today your birthday?

Well now, how would you feel if I said yeah. Yeah it was my birthday, and that's how I chose to celebrate, by posting 'Happy Birthday Broken Heart'.

How would you feel, huh. Not so chucklesome, I guess.

As it happens, it's not. But the point is made.

:wink:

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:43 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:
Mister Moon wrote: It reminds me of Neil Sedaka's "The Diary", a kind of faux-doowop record, but still retaining the innocence and some of the feeling of the great classics of the genre.

Agree, now you mention it, it is similar to Sedaka's 'The Diary'. As you say 'faux-doowop', and there's nothing wrong with that !

I find The Fleetwoods a bit lightweight for my tastes, I prefer a strong(er) lead vocal, male or female, on a bed of lush backing. Of their stuff, when the mood takes, I am partial to this little ditty:
phpBB [video]

I didn't say "faux-doowop" derisively, only as a description. There were some great records cut in this style.

The Fleetwoods recorded fantastic, if very "lightweight" as you say, examples of late 50s / early 60s vocal harmony. I had never heard them do "I'll Be There" - thanks for the link.

"Outside My Window" is one of my favorite records by The Fleetwoods. It's one of their first singles, from 1960, and it has a special haunting quality. I think this record was ahead of its time, too :

phpBB [video]

The Fleetwoods - "Outside My Window" - Dolton single 15 - Released January 1960

-----------------------------------------------

That said, I prefer strong, deep doowop records and singers. One that comes to mind is The Chantels' first single, from 1957. Featuring, of course, the incomparable Arlene Smith on lead vocals. A masterpiece :

phpBB [video]

The Chantels - "He's Gone" - End single 1001 - Released August 1957

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:32 pm

Mister Moon wrote:The Fleetwoods recorded fantastic, if very "lightweight" as you say, examples of late 50s / early 60s vocal harmony. I had never heard them do "I'll Be There" - thanks for the link.
You're welcome buddy, hope you enjoyed it.

Mister Moon wrote:"Outside My Window" is one of my favorite records by The Fleetwoods. It's one of their first singles, from 1960, and it has a special haunting quality. I think this record was ahead of its time
Yep, agree with that, well ahead of it's time.

Mister Moon wrote:That said, I prefer strong, deep doowop records and singers. One that comes to mind is The Chantels' first single, from 1957. Featuring, of course, the incomparable Arlene Smith on lead vocals. A masterpiece :

phpBB [video]

The Chantels - "He's Gone" - End single 1001 - Released August 1957
Now that's more my cup of tea. Great, love it. Thanks.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:57 pm

Another all-time classic. Doo Wop probably doesn't get any better than this. Featuring the great Leroy Griffin on lead vocals, this is an absolutely wonderful and stunning record :

phpBB [video]

The Nutmegs - "Ship Of Love" - Herald single 459 - Released August 1955

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:55 am

Mister Moon wrote:Another all-time classic. Doo Wop probably doesn't get any better than this. Featuring the great Leroy Griffin on lead vocals, this is an absolutely wonderful and stunning record :

phpBB [video]

The Nutmegs - "Ship Of Love" - Herald single 459 - Released August 1955

That was really nice. You're right, Doo Wop does not get any better.

When I think of Doo Wop, one of the guys I think of is Dion Dimucci. I know he's not strictly or pure, but I can't help myself ! (Good video).
phpBB [video]

Nice update by The Overtones.
phpBB [video]

Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:14 am

mike edwards66 wrote:When I think of Doo Wop, one of the guys I think of is Dion Dimucci. I know he's not strictly or pure, but I can't help myself ! (Good video).
phpBB [video]

Nice update by The Overtones.
phpBB [video]

Thanks for the nice post, Mike.

Dion is one of Doo Wop's greats. "Runaround Sue" is a classic, one of several written with Ernie Maresca, like "The Wanderer" and "Donna, The Prima Donna". Nice video, too !

You have probably seen this, but I can't help posting it. It's Dion & The Belmonts doing (lip-synching to) "I Wonder Why" on national TV. The Bronx's pride and joy ! Dig that girlie in the audience singing the song, midway through the footage :

phpBB [video]

Thanks also for posting The Overtones' video. They do a very good version of the song. I didn't know about them.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:39 am

Mister Moon wrote: You have probably seen this, but I can't help posting it. It's Dion & The Belmonts doing (lip-synching to) "I Wonder Why" on national TV. The Bronx's pride and joy ! Dig that girlie in the audience singing the song, midway through the footage :

phpBB [video]

Thanks also for posting The Overtones' video. They do a very good version of the song. I didn't know about them.

Glad you liked it! The Overtones do some good stuff, check them out, if you fancy.

I clicked on your 'I Wonder Why' vid this morning, and I have been singing it to myself all day since, so thanks for that !

Dion of course continued to make good music, although he let things slip in the satorial elegance department. Here's one of my faves, recorded in 1993. I just love the rich maturity in Dion's voice. Although the vid says 'The Belmonts', the backing is actually Joe Neary, Jimmy Gallagher and Dion's cousin Louis Colletti. Exquisite.
phpBB [video]

And of course, we can't leave Dion without hearing this beauty. Suffice to say, it delivers ! (lip sync or not!)
phpBB [video]

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:36 am

mike edwards66 wrote:I clicked on your 'I Wonder Why' vid this morning, and I have been singing it to myself all day since, so thanks for that !

:D

For me, "I Wonder Why" is a rock and roll anthem. Have you ever heard this early version, complete with false start and studio chat ?. Not as perfect as the released take, but it has a special rawness to it. The first time I heard it, I almost fell to the floor :

phpBB [video]

mike edwards66 wrote:Dion of course continued to make good music, although he let things slip in the satorial elegance department. Here's one of my faves, recorded in 1993. I just love the rich maturity in Dion's voice. Although the vid says 'The Belmonts', the backing is actually Joe Neary, Jimmy Gallagher and Dion's cousin Louis Colletti. Exquisite.
phpBB [video]

And of course, we can't leave Dion without hearing this beauty. Suffice to say, it delivers ! (lip sync or not!)
phpBB [video]

Thanks for these two tracks. Never heard the later one before.

"The Wanderer" is another anthem, and the lyrics written by Ernie Maresca are worthy of any of the best fifties rock and roll composers. I remember reading an interview with Lou Reed where he quoted the second verse as being especially memorable :

Oh, well, I'm the type of guy who will never settle down
Where pretty girls are, well, you know that I'm around
I kiss 'em and I love 'em 'cause to me they're all the same
I hug 'em and I squeeze 'em, they don't even know my name
They call me the wanderer
Yeah, the wanderer
I roam around, around, around, around

Oh, well, there's Flo on my left arm, and there's Mary on my right
And Janie is the girl, well, that I'll be with tonight
And when she asks me which one I love the best
I'll tear open my shirt, and I show her Rosie on my chest
'Cause I'm the wanderer
Yeah, the wanderer

Oh, well, I roam from town to town
I go through life without a care
And I'm as happy as a clown
A-with my two fists of iron, but I'm going nowhere

Oh yeah, I'm the type of guy that likes to roam around
I'm never in one place, I roam from town to town
And when I find myself fallin' for some girl
Yeah, I hop right into that car of mine, I drive around the world
Yeah, I'm a wanderer
Yeah, the wanderer

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:14 pm

Mister Moon wrote: For me, "I Wonder Why" is a rock and roll anthem. Have you ever heard this early version, complete with false start and studio chat ?. Not as perfect as the released take, but it has a special rawness to it. The first time I heard it, I almost fell to the floor :

phpBB [video]

That was great ! Thanks, love it.

Mister Moon wrote:Thanks for these two tracks. Never heard the later one before.
You're welcome buddy, hope you liked it.

Mister Moon wrote: "The Wanderer" is another anthem, and the lyrics written by Ernie Maresca are worthy of any of the best fifties rock and roll composers. I remember reading an interview with Lou Reed where he quoted the second verse as being especially memorable
Can't argue with that!