Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The Beatles U.S. Albums Box Set To Be Out Next Month

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:46 pm

With the 50th anniversary of "Beatlemania" arriving early next year, Capitol Records will re-release all of 13 the Beatles' American releases in a set titled "The U.S. Albums."

The set drops Jan. 21 in North America and features reissues of the band's 13 American albums -- albums that often held different track lists, song mixes, titles, and art than their U.K. counterparts. Five of them (listed below) have never been available on CD before. Pre-orders are available here.

The collection begins with 1964's "Meet the Beatles!" and concludes with 1970's "Hey Jude," though all albums except from the latter fall between the years 1964 and 1966, when the band most often released differing albums in the U.S. and Britain.

The 13 CDs come with carefully-replicated album art (including the albums' inner sleeves), along with a 64-page booklet with photos and original LP artwork. All titles come in mono and stereo, except "The Beatles’ Story" and "Hey Jude," which are stereo only.

For a limited time, the CDs (with the exception of the audio commentary album "The Beatles' Story") all titles will be available individually as well.

Weeks after the Jan. 21 release of the box set, the music world will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' arrival in America on Feb. 7, 1964, when the quartet famously touched down in New York's John F. Kennedy Airport. Two nights later, they made their legendary 5-song performance on the "Ed Sullivan Show," and on Feb. 11, they played their first U.S. concert at Washington, DC's Washington Coliseum.

A two-hour special titled “The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute To The Beatles,” will air on CBS on Feb. 9 at 8 PM (ET), marking the exact 50-year anniversary of the "Sullivan" performance.

Here's a full list of the 13 albums included:

Meet The Beatles! (1964)
The Beatles’ Second Album (1964)
A Hard Day’s Night (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (1964) *
Something New (1964)
The Beatles’ Story (1964) *
Beatles ’65 (1965)
The Early Beatles (1965)
Beatles VI (1965)
Help! (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (1965)
Rubber Soul (1965)
Yesterday And Today (1966) *
Revolver (1966) *
Hey Jude (1970) *

* American version previously unavailable on CD

Re: The Beatles U.S. Albums Box Set To Be Out Next Month

Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:11 pm

WOW! I 'am no beatles fan, but that looks like a beauty!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Does this contain the same sound mix as it was when they was released in the 60s?
The sound on US records are much better than from england? :smt003 :smt006

Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:15 am

svallen wrote:Does this contain the same sound mix as it was when they was released in the 60s?
The sound on US records are much better than from england? :smt003 :smt006

You'll have to buy the set to find out.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:07 am

One cool thing about the set is you'll finally get on official cd's the following:

1. The false start to "I'm Looking Through You" released on the 1st pressing of the Stereo Rubber Soul.

2. Exclusive mixes of "Doctor Robert," "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "I'm Only Sleeping" which were later approved upon on the subsequently released Revolver in the UK.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:08 am

TCB-FAN wrote:With the 50th anniversary of "Beatlemania" arriving early next year, Capitol Records will re-release all of 13 the Beatles' American releases in a set titled "The U.S. Albums."

Thank you for the update.

With all possible respect, Beatlemania started in 1963, it just took America twelve months to catch up with it.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:15 am

George Smith wrote:Thank you for the update.

With all possible respect, Beatlemania started in 1963, it just took America twelve months to catch up with it.

Actually t'was four months -- "Beatlemania" was coined circa October 1963, and the U.S. followed suit in February 1964. ;-)

631013_london_palladium_ticket_01-580x398.jpg

13 October 1963: Beatlemania begins: Sunday Night at the London Palladium | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/10/13/beatlemania-begins-sunday-night-at-the-london-palladium/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:16 pm

Hmm, well ... if I'm going to be pedantic I should maybe check my facts ... I guess.

I'm a romantic though, and Beatlemania started for me with "Please Please Me".

Backs quietly out of room to avoid further embarrassment ...

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:18 am

George Smith wrote:Hmm, well ... if I'm going to be pedantic I should maybe check my facts ... I guess.

Nothing to be embarrassed over ... it's all in good fun. You are, like me, a student of history. I've gained a great deal from reading your thoughts here and elsewhere, and I will always be most grateful.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:59 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
George Smith wrote:Hmm, well ... if I'm going to be pedantic I should maybe check my facts ... I guess.

Nothing to be embarrassed over ... it's all in good fun. You are, like me, a student of history. I've gained a great deal from reading your thoughts here and elsewhere, and I will always be most grateful.

The feeling is entirely mutual, I can assure you.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Mike C wrote:One cool thing about the set is you'll finally get on official cd's the following:

1. The false start to "I'm Looking Through You" released on the 1st pressing of the Stereo Rubber Soul.

I'm happy to be corrected if wrong, but I believe that one has been available officially since the release of the Capitol Albums Volume 2 box in 2006.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:26 pm

The Pirate wrote:
Mike C wrote:One cool thing about the set is you'll finally get on official cd's the following:

I'm happy to be corrected if wrong, but I believe that one has been available officially since the release of the Capitol Albums Volume 2 box in 2006.

You are right. I don't have the Capitol Albums Volume 2 box so I had check this online.
Last edited by Mike C on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:05 am

You can read abot it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Capitol-Albums-Vo ... l+albums+2 :smt006

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:12 am

Its gonna be a cool set to have too.Has there ever been an Elvis set like this?

Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:22 pm

Does anybody know of a site which lists all the tracks and makes a comparison between the UK and US mixes, for both Mono and Stereo albums? Over on the Steve Hoffman forum somebody has done what he says is an analysis of the new box, but unless I'm being really thick - which could be the case, I'm not saying otherwise - then it's about as clear as mud. What I want is a straight track by track comparison, and I can't believe that in nearly fifty years nobody has done it and transferred it to a website.

The box is absolutely fantastic incidentally. The attention to detail in the way it's been put together is spot on, nothing has been forgotten. The music is pretty special as well.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:37 pm

It will be nice to have the albums as I bought them in the US back in the 60's. I would def want the ones that were US only releases like Something New, Beatles '65, etc. I think from Revolver on forward, they were all the same as far as tracks go.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:04 pm

r&b wrote:It will be nice to have the albums as I bought them in the US back in the 60's. I would def want the ones that were US only releases like Something New, Beatles '65, etc. I think from Revolver on forward, they were all the same as far as tracks go.

All of the albums in the box are either unique or differ from their UK counterparts. Revolver has three tracks missing, as they were included on the Yesterday and Today album. It wasn't until Sgt. Pepper that everything was standardised (and even after that there was another US only release - Hey Jude - which is included in the box.)

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:01 pm

If you already have the Capitol Albums Box Vol. 1 & 2, along with the Stereo Box from 2009, there's no need to buy the latest release...with the exception of "A Hard Day's Night" (U.S.) 2014 release...it contains the instrumental versions of "And I Love Her" & "A Hard Days Night".

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:04 am

Also Yesterday and today to get a replica of The butcher cover.Already read reviews on this set most of the masters are from the 2009 cd re-releases instead of the album masters.
Another goof up as usual. Ill keep my orignal Us lps to have the right mixes as released.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:31 am

ritchie valens wrote:Also Yesterday and today to get a replica of The butcher cover.Already read reviews on this set most of the masters are from the 2009 cd re-releases instead of the album masters.
Another goof up as usual. Ill keep my orignal Us lps to have the right mixes as released.

So glad I did the research before hand. Why they used the 09' mix and not the original U.S. Capitol mix is beyond me. You might as well get the 2009 box instead.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:53 am

Captiol/Apple missed it on this set.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:03 am

There was plenty of information available prior to release, and anyone who was prepared to pay out $150 without bothering to find out what they were buying deserves what they get. If they'd used the original Capitol tapes they would undoubtedly have kept the select few fanboys happy, but the general public - used to buying CDs with decent quality sound - would have been up in arms. The Capitol stereo mixes, many drenched in reverb, wouldn't hold up today. Who wants to pay for what amounts to Artificially Reprocessed Stereo, in 2014?

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:17 am

pirate that's where u are dead wrong.Ones that are used to the way the the original capitol lps sound that's the way they want it period.
FYI i sell the original lp pressings no-one has bitched bout the sound u can only do some much with 50 yr old tapes.Should have both sets The UK mixes on the UK set and Us mixes on the US ones.They could have went back and used the tapes on the 1st 2 Captiol sets they did.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:47 pm

You are missing the point, which is that the US Albums box is not aimed at Beatles fans who were alive in the 1960s. It's aimed at the general population, who would take one listen to the old Capitol mixes and return it to their supplier.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:27 pm

It is not fake stereo on these 2 american CD boxes with Capitol masters.
It is primitive stereo.Read about it here:

http://www.analogueproductions.com/inde ... e_ID=85509

:smt006