06 If I Told You Who It Was
07 Call Your Mother *
08 I Drove Her Out of My Mind
09 Tennessee
10 Rock and Roll Shoes
11 Don't You Think It's Come Our Time [ft. June Carter Cash]
12 I Came to Believe *

* Written by Johnny Cash
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Johnny Cash ...Lost album to be released 2014

Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Pretty cool news, looking forward to this. Thanks, Ken! ::rocks

Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks for posting this, Ken. I heard about this yesterday and am looking forward to it.

I likes me some Cash.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:30 pm

This was apparently intended as a follow up to Cash's "The Baron" album (1981), which was also produced by Billy Sherrill. I think things had gotten pretty contentious between Cash and Columbia Records by that time, and they parted ways in 1986.

Even so, I don't understand why projects like these ere shelved and things like "Chicken In Black" were released.

I look forward to hearing this when it is released.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Unfortunately the link doesn't work for me.

Very nice to hear another duet with the late great Waylon. And most likely the first recording of "I Came To Believe", of which I thought he wrote it shortly before his death. At least I think it's the same song as featured on "American V".

Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Lucky
i have copied and pasted the article below
C NME
December 10, 2013 18:58
Lost Johnny Cash album to be released 30 years after it was recorded

'Out Among The Stars' will finally be available next year (2014)
Lost Johnny Cash album to be released 30 years after it was recorded
A lost Johnny Cash record entitled ‘Out Among The Stars’ is due to be released next March, more than 30 years after it was originally recorded.

10 years after the legendary singer’s death, Cash’s estate have decided to release the album, which they say has never been heard before, reports The Associated Press.

The album was recorded between 1981 and 1984 with Billy Sherrill, but was never released by Cash’s then label Columbia Records and subsequently disappeared after the singer was dropped from the label. However, during the archiving of Cash’s estate, it was recently revealed that his wife June Carter Cash had kept the tapes. “They never threw anything away," said their son, John Carter Cash. "They kept everything in their lives. They had an archive that had everything in it from the original audio tapes from `The Johnny Cash Show' to random things like a camel saddle, a gift from the prince of Saudi Arabia."

Despite Columbia’s original refusal to release the tapes back in the 80s, John Carter Cash has pressed for the 12 tracks that make up ‘Out Among The Stars’ to be released, and the album will now be available from March 25 next year. The tracks feature duets between Cash and his wife, and between the singer and Wayne Jennings, while Marty Stuart - a member of Cash’s backing band – has been quoted as saying that he was “in the very prime of his voice for his lifetime” and that Cash sounds “pitch perfect” on the recordings.

‘Out Among The Stars’ will be the fourth posthumous release since Cash’s death in 2003, and the first since 2010’s ‘American VI: Ain’t No Grave’.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/johnny-cash/743 ... kt1J4pl.99

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:This was apparently intended as a follow up to Cash's "The Baron" album (1981), which was also produced by Billy Sherrill. I think things had gotten pretty contentious between Cash and Columbia Records by that time, and they parted ways in 1986.

Even so, I don't understand why projects like these ere shelved and things like "Chicken In Black" were released.

I think it was Cash who pushed for Chicken in Black to be released (and the video to be made) as a kind of "up yours" to Columbia, with whom, as you say, he was not on good terms. I like "The Baron" as an album, although I could live without the rather horrendous slushy final track. The interesting thing about the new album is that we'll here an earlier version of cash tackling "I'm Moving On". I was never very impressed with the one on Unearthed, so hopefully this one will be better.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:35 am

poormadpeter wrote:
I think it was Cash who pushed for Chicken in Black to be released (and the video to be made) as a kind of "up yours" to Columbia, with whom, as you say, he was not on good terms. I like "The Baron" as an album, although I could live without the rather horrendous slushy final track. The interesting thing about the new album is that we'll here an earlier version of cash tackling "I'm Moving On". I was never very impressed with the one on Unearthed, so hopefully this one will be better.

An earlier version of "I'm Moving On" will be interesting to hear. Some of the earlier biographies (I.e., "Winners Got Scars Too" and "Man In Black") indicate that Cash may have performed "I'm Moving On"in his early live performances as well as during his audition(s) for Sam Phillips. It would be interesting if a Sun-era performance of this song ever surfaced.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:02 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:This was apparently intended as a follow up to Cash's "The Baron" album (1981), which was also produced by Billy Sherrill. I think things had gotten pretty contentious between Cash and Columbia Records by that time, and they parted ways in 1986.

Me neither and I doubt it'll be better. At least it features one of my favorite singers as his duet partner. They harmonized together very well and I even enjoy the 1986 "Heroes" album (despite its sometimes horrible eighties production) from time to time.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:10 am

Here you can order it With an bonus track:

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Among-Stars-J ... se_p_tnr_3

:smt006

Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks, svallen. Really looking forward to listen to the 1st version of "I Came To Believe". Brought me to tears when I first heard in in 2006. Heartbreaking.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Looking forward to it, marked the date in a calendar! Loved the last ones, I hope they keep on going with releases. Does anybody knows if the son is doing the mixing?

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:42 pm

You can read more about it here:

http://www.johnnycash.com/

:smt006

Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks, svallen. Really looking forward to listen to the 1st version of "I Came To Believe". Brought me to tears when I first heard in in 2006. Heartbreaking.

Me, too. I assumed it was a song he'd written at the time of that recording.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks, svallen. Really looking forward to listen to the 1st version of "I Came To Believe". Brought me to tears when I first heard in in 2006. Heartbreaking.

Me, too. I assumed it was a song he'd written at the time of that recording.

Yup, me too. And a thought comes to mind that I've read it sometime. I think it was during the time period when "American V" was released.

Update: I found it. On wikipedia it says: "Cash originally wrote this song prior to the sessions for this album"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_V ... d_Highways

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:31 pm

There is a preview snippet of one of the tracks here
http://www.spin.com/articles/johnny-cas ... ost-album/

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:54 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Me neither and I doubt it'll be better. At least it features one of my favorite singers as his duet partner. They harmonized together very well and I even enjoy the 1986 "Heroes" album (despite its sometimes horrible eighties production) from time to time.

Yes, 80s production techniques helped to ruin many an album - particularly in the country and jazz genres for some reason. But Heroes is wholly enjoyable, nonetheless. I think the new album will probably end up to be average early 80s Cash material: competent, professional, enjoyable but unremarkable and unmemorable, as was The Adventures of Johnny Cash LP, for example. I think if we're hoping for the highs of Johnny 99, we might be setting the bar a little high. But unheard recordings of this nature are always welcome.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:35 am

I love the album of acoustic Cash from the 70's that came out a few years ago, "Personal File". He'd wanted to do an album of just his voice and guitar years before meeting Rick Rubin. Some great songs and storytelling on that collection (I think it's been reissued as part of the Cash bootleg series).

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:25 pm

@Lonely Summer: It is very well done, sung and recorded but I very seldom listen to the album. I even once edited out all of the narrations on the beginning of some of the tracks.

Peter, I agree on "Johnny 99" - a fantastic and extraordinary Cash album.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:58 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:@Lonely Summer: It is very well done, sung and recorded but I very seldom listen to the album. I even once edited out all of the narrations on the beginning of some of the tracks.

I have to agree regarding personal file. It's great, but something i very rarely want to listen to!

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:23 am

poormadpeter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:@Lonely Summer: It is very well done, sung and recorded but I very seldom listen to the album. I even once edited out all of the narrations on the beginning of some of the tracks.

I have to agree regarding personal file. It's great, but something i very rarely want to listen to!

I haven't had it on for awhile, one bad thing about having a large music collection is that some things get neglected for awhile.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:03 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

I haven't had it on for awhile, one bad thing about having a large music collection is that some things get neglected for awhile.

Oh yeah. You're absolutely right about this. Same here. Maybe that's why I right now stick with my Complete Elvis masters all the time. :wink: