John Fogerty - My Baby Left Me (Live)

Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, londonflash, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Rich_TCB
Registered for: 21 years

John Fogerty - My Baby Left Me (Live)

Post by Rich_TCB »

Here's a video of the song "My Baby Left Me" that I took from the John Fogerty show last night at the Borgata in Atlantic City.

He performed the entire CCR album "Cosmo's Factory".

ImageImageImage

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Re: John Fogerty - My Baby Left Me (Live)

Post by TCB-FAN »

Did he perform "Bad Moon Rising" ?

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Rich_TCB wrote:Here's a video of the song "My Baby Left Me" that I took from the John Fogerty show last night at the Borgata in Atlantic City.

He performed the entire CCR album "Cosmo's Factory".

Neat! I was fortunate enough to catch the tour just a few weeks ago at U.C. Berkeley's legendary Greek Theatre, John gave an inspired performance of Elvis' 1956 cover there as well. He was born in Berkeley and Creedence Clearwater Revival came together in nearby El Cerrito.

As with last night, we saw all the songs from Cosmo's Factory, one of the greatest rock 'n' roll LPs of all time. The whole show was terrific, his voice and guitar are still solid at the age of sixty-eight! The man has written songs that will endure forever.

It's just a shame he refuses to play with Stu Cook and Doug Clifford, the reformed CCR would easily be playing to sold-out arenas instead of 75% full theaters. This odd, unyielding bitterness is one aspect of Fogerty I try not to dwell on.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

TCB-FAN wrote:Did he perform "Bad Moon Rising" ?
Yes, he did.

Here is the set list -->

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's just a shame he refuses to play with Stu Cook and Doug Clifford, the reformed CCR would easily be playing to sold-out arenas instead of 75% full theaters. This odd, unyielding bitterness is one aspect of Fogerty I try not to dwell on.
As far as John playing with Doug & Stu again, he has said he is open to that possibility.

From an interview with Rolling Stone in October, 2011 -->
Are you open to the possibility of one day reuniting with Doug and Stu from Creedence?
Ummmm, yeah. Somebody asked me this recently and I was surprised at my answer. I didn't know the question was coming so I hadn't fallen into my familiar mindset and emotions. I realized that it had been a long time. I'd lost so much of my anger from those times. I have a really wonderful life now. It all kind of begins with my beautiful wife Julie. We've raised a wonderful family. We still have one child at home, but two of the older ones are off at college. In some ways, I kind of just scratch my head and go, "Wow, look at all that happened!" I've had a happy life of looking forward to family things and and looking forward to artistic things. I haven't really had time to sit around and wonder and ponder the past. If you feel good and you get busy, especially if you're in love, your heart heals. You're not carrying a bunch of baggage.

I don't know what stars would have to line up for that to happen . . . but I realize I didn't have an automatic reaction to the idea simply because I haven't really wasted mental energy being angry for quite some time.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-fogerty-my-anger-towards-creedence-bandmates-has-faded-20111025

This topic was followed up again in another Rolling Stone interview from May, 2012.

Stu Cook didn't have a positive reaction -->
I spoke with you last year, and you said that you weren't completely opposed to the idea of a Creedence reunion. Do you still feel that way?
I was asked that in an interview last year, and I just gave an honest answer. It wasn't anything I had actually premeditated or thought ahead of time. I just know that when the interviewer asked me, I sort of realized I didn't have that reaction that I used to have all the time. And so I quite innocently said, "Yeah I guess it's a possibility," you know – in other words, I guess I've grown or moved or mellowed, whatever it is. I've always hoped that that would happen so you're not walking around with your brain going ag 90 mph working on some thing 40 years in the past that's not gonna change anyway.

So I blurted out whatever I blurted out. Yeah, I still feel the same way. I have since seen a couple of things that the other two guys from the old band have said in the press. [Creedence bassist Stu Cook said, "Leopards don't change their spots. This is just an image-polishing exercise by John."] Oh well. I guess they're still mad. That doesn't change how I feel. It kind of isn't affecting me anymore.

What's important is this wonderful life I have in front of me right here. I even have grandchildren. When you're looking at the world that way, worrying over if somebody knocked over a saltshaker 47 years ago, that's kind of stupid. So that's kind of where I'm at.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-john-fogerty-on-all-star-duets-lp-unlikely-creedence-reunion-20120504

ImageImageImage

drjohncarpenter

Fogerty's replies are ambiguous, and given his terrible treatment of Cook and Clifford in the past, he would have to be much more genuine and forthright if he really wanted them to play again. When I heard what John did to them at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in 1993, I was very disappointed. The man is one of the greats, but he has not always been a great man.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Lonely Summer wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Fogerty's replies are ambiguous, and given his terrible treatment of Cook and Clifford in the past, he would have to be much more genuine and forthright if he really wanted them to play again. When I heard what John did to them at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in 1993, I was very disappointed. The man is one of the greats, but he has not always been a great man.
Doc, this truly surprises me coming from you, but I am glad to see it nevertheless. Yes, Fogerty is a truly talented artist, but some of his actions against his former bandmates have been disappointing. It's sad that he never reconciled with his brother before his passing.
Why? I always call 'em the way I see 'em.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

We all "do wrong," I guess. Some, more than others - although in this case, he can't see it. That's what I take from it. That he's blinded by something. In any event, for those who don't know the story, here it is, in a nutshell:

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2000/jul/11/artsfeatures3

The Guardian, Monday 10 July 2000 21.17 EDT,
Adam Sweeting wrote:
The saddest story in rock

In 1988 John Fogerty was sued for plagiarising his own songs. Adam Sweeting talks to the Creedence Clearwater Revival frontman about 12 years of bitter legal battles
If writing a batch of rock's most exhilarating hit singles is a good way to gain admission to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, becoming entangled in high-profile lawsuits brings a different kind of immortality. John Fogerty has achieved both. Weirdly, even tragically, his solo career has been marred by his involvement in a string of legal disputes with his erstwhile record label, Fantasy, and clashes with his ex-bandmates from Creedence Clearwater Revival, of which he was the lynchpin until it split in 1972. It remains to be seen whether he will be remembered for his music or his lawsuits.

Fogerty, 55, is now sweeping across Europe supporting Tina Turner on her farewell tour. But he remains an ambiguous figure. During his heyday in Creedence Clearwater Revival it was he who wrote the band's hits, from Proud Mary (1969) to their last million-seller, Sweet Hitch-Hiker (1971). Since then, his solo career has produced gems such as Centerfield (1985) and Blue Moon Swamp (1997), both of which have demonstrated Fogerty's knack for concocting songs that are "about as contrived as the weather", as critic Greil Marcus put it.

But a total of six albums in 27 years (only five of them comprising new material) seems a barely adequate return from so legendary a performer. For when Fogerty should have been in the studio, he was consulting lawyers or sitting in court.

"I have had a lot of trouble with Fantasy Records. " Fogerty told me while promoting the release of Blue Moon Swamp. "In 1988 I had to go through a plagiarism trial where I was sued for sounding like myself, and people tell me this was unprecedented. I spent more than three years trying to resolve these issues, but sadly it didn't work."

In the bizarre self-plagiarism case, Fantasy and its boss Saul Zaentz claimed that Fogerty's 1985 song Old Man Down the Road was merely his old Creedence song, Run Through the Jungle, with a new title. The label wouldn't have been able to bring the suit if Fogerty hadn't sold them the rights to his old material, something any aspiring pop star would be strenuously advised not to do in these more artist friendly days. Fogerty won the case, but then had to jump through further legal hoops to win back $1.35m dollars in costs.

While countless musicians, from George Michael to Spandau Ballet, have found themselves in litigation with managers, record companies or each other, they have eventually reached some sort of conclusion, even if they're not very happy with it. But Fogerty seems doomed never to achieve the outcome he thinks he deserves. The problems date right back to Creedence Clearwater's original contract with Fantasy.

"We were the only artists that mattered on the label. We were selling almost 99.9% of the company's records. We had signed a contract thinking we were all in it equally. I thought we would share to a great degree in the company's success. But then it didn't happen. Fantasy own the songs and they're supposed to pay me as the songwriter, but I've had to fight to get royalties from 1980 and every year after that. Basically, to get paid I had to sue them, that was their stance."

After Creedence split, Fogerty found himself bound to Fantasy as a solo artist. His awareness that he was a bankable asset at the peak of his powers merely increased his sense of outrage. "I felt like I was their little prisoner in their dungeon, their little mouse in a cage that they played with," he shuddered. "To take somebody that was at their height, like Elvis or The Beatles, and then treat them so badly is really a horrible thing."

During the late 70s and early 80s, he grew so sick of it all that he abandoned music and lived with his family on a farm in Oregon. Then in 1985, he re-emerged with a new record deal with Warner Bros and the album Centerfield. It looked as if he'd turned a corner - until the plagiarism lawsuit came along.

That was not the worst of it. In 1990, his brother Tom died from respiratory failure following a long struggle with tuberculosis. The five Fogerty boys had been brought up by their single mother in California, and Tom had been Creedence's rhythm guitarist, but not even their family bond could survive John's feelings of betrayal. "Tom ended up over the years evolving mentally into some sort of weird Patti Hearst syndrome," said John. "That's what I call it when they kidnap you and you end up siding with your captors, and that's what Tom did. In some trick of mental agility, he ended up befriending Saul Zaentz against me. By the end of his life Tom was saying 'Saul is my best friend'. He even wrote me nasty letters saying things like 'Saul and I will win'. It was very unresolved and very sad."

How does he remember Tom? "I have very confused feelings for my brother because there was a time when things were happy. The best I can say in Tom's case is he was the older brother and the younger brother had a lot more talent, therefore he was jealous even to a greater degree than the other two in Creedence Clearwater Revival."

Tom's death didn't soften John's attitude towards the other band members. In 1993, when Creedence were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Fogerty refused to allow drummer Doug Clifford and bassist Stu Cook to perform with him at the traditional end-of-ceremony jam. Cook and Clifford have responded by forming Creedence Clearwater Revisited and going on the road playing the old Fogerty hits, though he has tried to throw a spanner in the works. In 1996, he sued Cook and Clifford, seeking to prevent the use of the Creedence Clearwater name. He won a temporary injunction, but the band are now using their chosen name again, and toured Germany last month.

It saddens Stu Cook. "I'm sure that doctors have all kinds of names for this sort of behaviour," he commented. "It's the saddest story in rock and one of the longest ongoing stupid feuds."

Meanwhile, Fogerty has become a litigation junkie. At the end of last year, he even sued his former attorney Kenneth Sidle, who had helped him to win back his costs following the plagiarism case. John Fogerty should be remembered as a great songwriter. Instead, he risks becoming better known as an appellant in textbooks of precedent-setting case law.

John Fogerty appears with Tina Turner at Wembley on Saturday and Sunday. Box office: 020-8902 0902.
rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

drjohncarpenter

Lonely Summer wrote:I thought Fogerty would be in the do no wrong category of Lennon and McCartney.
Who puts them in that category?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

EvilRev
Registered for: 10 years 2 months

Post by EvilRev »

"Cosmos Factory" is where I first heard rockabilly music ("Ooby Dooby" & "My Baby Left Me")

I don't agree with John's politics or some of his actions. However, he's one of my all time favorite artists