Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Re: Carl Perkins - "Blue Suede Shoes" - December 1955

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:03 am

Here's more information:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks, HoneyTalkNelson, for your posts on "Ranch Party".

Maybe someday all of this stuff will be found somewhere, as it happened 20 years ago with the "Town Hall Party" shows, which were eventually released by Rockstar (just the Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent segments), and later by Bear Family, which has many DVDs available on the subject.

By the way, speaking of Vincent, did you find any information on his "lost" session tapes from 1956 / 1957 ?

Thanks again.
Last edited by Mister Moon on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks also svallen for your posts containing YouTube links.

There's an incredible wealth of material out there. It never ceases to amaze me !

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Thanks, HoneyTalkNelson, for your posts on "Ranch Party".

Maybe someday all of this stuff will be found somewhere, as it happened 20 years ago with the "Town Hall Party" shows, which were eventually released by Rockstar (just the Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent segments), and later by Bear Family, which has many DVDs available on the subject.

By the way, speaking of Vincent, did you find any information on his "lost" session tapes from 1956 / 1957 ?

Thanks again.

My pleasure, Mister Moon.

It's what I do! :wink:

You might enjoy one of my other heavily researched, fact-filled posts: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55990

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:59 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Thanks, HoneyTalkNelson, for your posts on "Ranch Party".

Thanks again.

My pleasure, Mister Moon.

It's what I do! :wink:

You might enjoy one of my other heavily researched, fact-filled posts: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55990

Wow !!! 162 posts !!!

I'll have to sit down and really absorb all the info contained there !!!

Thanks, HoneyTalkNelson.

Any news about undocumented Gene Vincent 1956 / 1957 Capitol tapes turning up ?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:06 pm

svallen wrote:Matchbox from Town hall party 1958:

phpBB [video]

:smt003 :smt006

Thank you for finding this clip. When the Beatles cut their terrific cover of "Matchbox" in June 1964, with Ringo on lead vocals, Carl was there at Abbey Road. He later humourously recalled that Starr's nose "looked like a dollar sign."

Long before Carl lost his way, and acquired a variety of toupees borrowed from Hank Snow, he had a great little band, fantastic songs, and some genuine, down-home charm. All of the film footage from his "Ranch Party" visit in February-March 1957 should be found, restored and released. He was one of the first, true originals.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:38 pm

I was in a rush, and didn't watch svallen's link at first, but this performance of "Matchbox" comes from the same "Ranch Party" appearance as the previously posted links of "Blue Suede Shoes", "Your True Love" and "Forever Yours". Unfortunately, it's incomplete. Here's the complete performance :

phpBB [video]

And to round off things, the performance of "Dixie Fried", so we have all five known Carl Perkins "Ranch Party" songs in one thread !.

For some reason, this particular song has always been available in poorer quality footage than the other four. I've tried to find the best YouTube upload of it. There's another upload which features Tex Ritter's introduction but has some "frames" missing during the song. This one has no introduction, and has some lousy audio and video, but the performance is perfectly complete :

phpBB [video]

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:52 pm

The filming of Carl and his band for "Ranch Party" is perhaps as perfect a moment as any in his career.

I sure wish we could have it all in perfect quality on DVD or Blu-ray.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:56 pm

As my research has shown, it was filmed in 35mm.

If the negatives or fine grains survive, it will look MUCH better than any of these multi-generation 16mm dupes!

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:06 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:As my research has shown, it was filmed in 35mm.

If the negatives or fine grains survive, it will look MUCH better than any of these multi-generation 16mm dupes!

Yup, we already already knew that from my research posted on 10-30:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=79786&p=1225221#p1225221

Have you been able to determine if the Screen Gems archive has the footage?