Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The Postman always rings thrice

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:49 am

First the best. The Beatles create their own 'wall of sound'. They should have always sounded this good !
phpBB [video]

Next the runner up. Karen Carpenter had one the most beautiful voices in pop music. So plaintive, so pure, perfect.
phpBB [video]

The original. There will be those who prefer this above all others. Fair enough.
phpBB [video]

Re: The Postman always rings thrice

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 am

This IS good :D

Thank you.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:56 am

Thanks for the post, Mike.

This song is a big favorite of mine. I just love those early Motown records by The Marvelettes, The Miracles, The Contours, and others. Those were classy records. I don't like the later Motown sound, though.

I first heard this song by The Beatles, and I must say I like their version very much. Lennon did a great job with it.

However, if i had to choose only one, I would stick with the original. Gladys Horton vocals are charming, including the classic line "Deliver the let-ter / The sooner the bet-ter".

By comparison with the other two, The Carpenters' version sounds almost like a joke to me. Sorry !

Here's a great scene from Martin Scorsese's 1973 movie "Mean Streets", which features the original as background music for a fight :

phpBB [video]

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Mister Moon wrote: I first heard this song by The Beatles, and I must say I like their version very much. Lennon did a great job with it.

Agreed, but not just Lennon. They were all on fire, as I said a veritable 'wall of sound'.

Mister Moon wrote: By comparison with the other two, The Carpenters' version sounds almost like a joke to me. Sorry !

No need to be sorry buddy, to each their own and all that. I think Karen Carpenter was one of the great 'pop' voices. Another would be Agneta Faltskog (Abba), both had crystal clear vocals, and as i said, both had such a beautiful plaintive and pure quality in their singing, completely lacking in affectation.

Mister Moon wrote:Here's a great scene from Martin Scorsese's 1973 movie "Mean Streets"

Love that film. De Niro was great.