Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:25 pm

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/12/47235 ... ovember-11

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:11 pm

Can't wait for this beauty!!!

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:45 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/12/4723500/the-beatles-releasing-new-compilation-of-bbc-performances-november-11


Thank you for the link!

Although many hardcore fans of the Beatles have most all the BBC Radio tapes 1962-1965, it will be great to hear what Apple's official sequel brings us.

Their cover of Chuck Berry's 1961 Chess single "I'm Talking About You" -- new to official album -- offers an astonishing lead vocal from John.

"Come on. give me truth!"

And it will be a pleasure to go to my local Amoeba and say, "Where is the new Beatles album?"



131111_On Air Live at the BBC Volume 2.JPG



Here is the official trailer:


phpBB [video]

THE BEATLES 'ON AIR - LIVE AT THE BBC VOLUME 2'
http://thebeatles.com/news/air-live-bbc-vol2-be-released
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

I purchased the first volume when it came out, and I thought it was an incredible document, with lots of musical highlights, and a very informative booklet.

But, how do these official releases of the BBC recordings compare, soundwise, to the unofficial, complete, ones ?

Thanks !

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:38 pm

Mister Moon wrote:I purchased the first volume when it came out, and I thought it was an incredible document, with lots of musical highlights, and a very informative booklet.

But, how do these official releases of the BBC recordings compare, soundwise, to the unofficial, complete, ones ?

Thanks !


Consensus on the 1994 set was that some tracks were improved, some not, and some worsened.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Since the original EMI release, almost 20 years ago, the Purple Chick 'bootleg label' (it's really an internet download project) has put out two versions of the complete BBC recordings, the second one upgraded using some newly discovered and better quality tapes. Any improvement in sound quality with this new volume is going to be marginal at best, but most of the target audience for these discs won't even be aware of the bootlegs so it's not an issue. It'll be a well put together and entertaining collection, which is all that really matters.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
But, how do these official releases of the BBC recordings compare, soundwise, to the unofficial, complete, ones ?


Consensus on the 1994 set was that some tracks were improved, some not, and some worsened.


Thanks for the information !

The Pirate wrote: Any improvement in sound quality with this new volume is going to be marginal at best, but most of the target audience for these discs won't even be aware of the bootlegs so it's not an issue. It'll be a well put together and entertaining collection, which is all that really matters.


As stated above, most hardcore Beatles fans have had the complete BBC recordings for years, and probably most of them will be buying this set anyway, so at least these official sets should give them equal sound quality as compared to the unofficial releases, never worse.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:26 am

Mister Moon wrote:As stated above, most hardcore Beatles fans have had the complete BBC recordings for years, and probably most of them will be buying this set anyway, so at least these official sets should give them equal sound quality as compared to the unofficial releases, never worse.


Their terrific cover of Little Eva's "Keep Your Hands Off My Baby" is one example of a track that is a lot better on the bootlegs.

Keep Your Hands Off My Baby | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/keep-your-hands-off-my-baby/

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:As stated above, most hardcore Beatles fans have had the complete BBC recordings for years, and probably most of them will be buying this set anyway, so at least these official sets should give them equal sound quality as compared to the unofficial releases, never worse.


Their terrific cover of Little Eva's "Keep Your Hands Off My Baby" is one example of a track that is a lot better on the bootlegs.

Keep Your Hands Off My Baby | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/keep-your-hands-off-my-baby/


Yes, despite of the bad sound quality, this was for me one of the highlights of "Live At The BBC".

I also like other one-off recordings like Ann-Margret's "I Just Don't Understand", and Arthur Alexander's "Soldier Of Love".

And their recording of their own "I'll Be On My Way" was worth the price of admission alone. I first heard this title by Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas. It has that wonderful Buddy Holly sound.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:11 am

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:As stated above, most hardcore Beatles fans have had the complete BBC recordings for years, and probably most of them will be buying this set anyway, so at least these official sets should give them equal sound quality as compared to the unofficial releases, never worse.


Their terrific cover of Little Eva's "Keep Your Hands Off My Baby" is one example of a track that is a lot better on the bootlegs.

Keep Your Hands Off My Baby | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/keep-your-hands-off-my-baby/


Yes, despite of the bad sound quality, this was for me one of the highlights of "Live At The BBC".


Perhaps the 2013 reissue of the first BBC set will correct the mistakes made with "Keep Your Hands Off My Baby" in 1994.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:05 pm

This is great news! Looking forward to this new cd and the remastered version of the old album.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:02 pm

That is one cool cover shot.

Don't have the bootlegs, only the first official set so looking forward to this one.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Next year we will see loads of Beatles BBC recordings released legally in EU as the 50 year copyright expires on 1963 recordings. This release is obviously done to combat them.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Marko wrote:Next year we will see loads of Beatles BBC recordings released legally in EU as the 50 year copyright expires on 1963 recordings. This release is obviously done to combat them.

I thought that law had been amended again, and the fifty year rule stretched to 70 years or something?

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:28 pm

The Pirate wrote:
Marko wrote:Next year we will see loads of Beatles BBC recordings released legally in EU as the 50 year copyright expires on 1963 recordings. This release is obviously done to combat them.

I thought that law had been amended again, and the fifty year rule stretched to 70 years or something?

I thought that was the case too

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:37 pm

The Pirate wrote:
Marko wrote:Next year we will see loads of Beatles BBC recordings released legally in EU as the 50 year copyright expires on 1963 recordings. This release is obviously done to combat them.

I thought that law had been amended again, and the fifty year rule stretched to 70 years or something?


The performers rights to his/hers performance has been extended to 70 years from the year recording was made or first published. This was done in 2011 in a EU directive which has to be implement by the member states within 2 years. Actually I'm not sure has all the states implemented the directive but I seriously doubted it. Also, I think radio and tv broadcasts are protected only 50 years.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:43 pm

I am very much looking forward to the set even though I have had the Purple Chick 10-disc set for years. I wonder why the Beatles choose not to include their cover of "Dream Baby" from March 6, 1962. Perhaps, because of sound quality and the fact that Pete Best plays drums on that one.

One nice touch to the set is they seem to be including 3 tracks which were made available on the "Baby It's You" EP single released in 1995. They are "Boys", "Devil in Heart" and "I'll Follow the Sun".

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:04 am

Any of you got this CD ?

Thanks.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:23 am

Mister Moon wrote:Any of you got this CD ?

Thanks.


It's not out yet ... I think.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:54 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Any of you got this CD ?

Thanks.


It's not out yet ... I think.


I don't know. I suddenly remembered about it, and was wondering if it was out. Also the reissue of volume one.

I have just checked both Amazon.com and Amazon.Uk and it's listed as being "in stock". I have to read the reviews when I have the time.

I don't know about the release date, though.

Thanks for the post, Doc.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Any of you got this CD ?

Thanks.


It's not out yet ... I think.


It's out now. Mine is on it's way.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:11 am

Marko wrote:
It's out now. Mine is on it's way.


Thanks, Marko !

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:29 am

Marko wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Any of you got this CD ?

Thanks.


It's not out yet ... I think.


It's out now. Mine is on it's way.


Where?

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:20 am

The official release date was November 11 in the US and UK:

On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3V ... B00F3VOL38

On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F ... B00F3VOL38


The vinyl edition was released on the same day.

The reissue of Vol 1 is also out on CD, but the vinyl edition won't be released until November 25.

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:47 pm

A good few weeks ago, I heard for the first time their version of Baby It's You, fantastic cover which I fell hard for. I also discovered Helter Skelter through Oasis a while back.

My Beatles progress is slow, I don't know why I've been swerving their music, despite my adoration for Paperback Writer and We Can Work it Out, but I'm getting there and will be getting both volumes for someone at Christmas and also for myself.

Time for me to show some love and respect for The Fab Four.