Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

John Lennon Live From NYC (On This Day, 1972)

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:31 pm

(Wikipedia) Recorded on 30 August 1972 at Madison Square Garden in New York City, Lennon performed two shows, one in the afternoon and one in the evening, to raise money for children with mental challenges at friend Geraldo Rivera's request. Rivera introduces Lennon and Ono at the beginning of the album, and he is referenced in Lennon's impromptu revised lyrics in the opening song, "New York City."

The benefit concerts, billed as One to One, also featured other performers in addition to Lennon, including Stevie Wonder, Roberta Flack, Melanie Safka and Sha-Na-Na, although their performances are not included on this album, nor on the simultaneous video release.

Live in New York City captures John Lennon's last full-length concert performance, coming right after the release of Some Time in New York City, which was a commercial failure in the United States. Perhaps as a result, Lennon's stage talk, while humorous, is self-deprecating and slightly nervous in tone. Backing Lennon and Ono were Elephant's Memory, who had served as Lennon and Ono's backing band on Some Time in New York City. Although the material Lennon performed was largely drawn from his three most recent albums of the period (John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, Imagine and Some Time in New York City), he also included in the setlist his Beatles hit "Come Together" and paid tribute to Elvis Presley with "Hound Dog" before leading the audience in a singalong of "Give Peace a Chance".

Tracklist :

All songs by John Lennon, except where noted.

Side One
1."New York City" – 3
2."It's So Hard" – 3:18
3."Woman Is the deleted - see guidelines #2 of the World" (John Lennon/Yoko Ono) – 5:30
4."Well Well Well" – 3:51
5."Instant Karma!" – 3:40

Side Two
1."Mother" – 5:00
2."Come Together" (Lennon–McCartney) – 4:21
3."Imagine" – 3:17
4."Cold Turkey" – 5:29
5."Hound Dog" (Leiber/Stoller) – 3:09
6."Give Peace a Chance" – 1:00

Video track listing[edit source]

1."Power to the People"
2."New York City"
3."It's So Hard"
4."Woman Is the deleted - see guidelines #2 of the World" (Lennon/Ono)
5."Sisters O Sisters" (Ono)
6."Well Well Well"
7."Instant Karma!"
8."Mother"
9."Born in a Prison" (Ono)
10."Come Together" (Lennon–McCartney)
11."Imagine"
12."Cold Turkey"
13."Hound Dog" (Leiber/Stoller)
14."Give Peace a Chance"

phpBB [video]

Re: John Lennon Live From NYC (On This Day, 1972)

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:33 pm

One of the greatest live albums ever. MSG was certainly rockin' in the summer of '72. Elvis and Lennon performing there within a 3 month period that year...amazing.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:48 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:One of the greatest live albums ever. MSG was certainly rockin' in the summer of '72. Elvis and Lennon performing there within a 3 month period that year...amazing.

John is superb, his backing band, unfortunately, less so.

Regardless, the complete and superior evening show needs to be released in full from Lennon's benefit appearances. Maybe someday.

Note that the Rolling Stones played July 24-26, 1972 at Madison Square Garden as well, on their tour in support of Exile On Main Street.

Indeed, it was one HOT summer in New York.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:32 pm

The really obvious difference between Elvis' June recordings and Lennon's August recordings @ MSG was the fact one was rushed released within weeks, while the other remained in the can for 14 years.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:17 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:The really obvious difference between Elvis' June recordings and Lennon's August recordings @ MSG was the fact one was rushed released within weeks, while the other remained in the can for 14 years.

Both have "Hound Dog" on them!

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:34 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Image

phpBB [video]

Jeez, what is with Yoko? I just don't get that 'avant garde' stuff. My bad probably, don't get me wrong, but to me Yoko's 'backing vocals' would be the reason I'd keep it in the can for 14 years or longer!! My music teacher once told a bunch of us in the school carol concert, if we forget the words just hum or smile, imagine if we'd set off like Yoko!? I wouldn't mind but I can tolerate her vocals on the Sometime in NYC album and Double Fantasy/Milk and Honey but this... :wtf:
She spoils it for me anyway, bless her...