Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

John Lennon -- Instant Karma

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:35 pm

This song was played twice on the radio today....and now it's being played over and over in my head. Great song.
Lennon lives forever...... :smt023

phpBB [video]

Re: John Lennon -- Instant Karma

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:57 pm

Great song with a clear, direct message, superb backing (especially by drummer Alan White), and John's fantastic vocal. Note the Richie Barrett influence on the introduction, and the Elvis Presley homage on the line "You better get yourself together, darling." He was a true rocker, one who never forgot those who inspired him, most especially Elvis.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Such a powerful tune, equally to "Power To The People". His haunting "Mother" gets me every time.

Lennon forever!

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:17 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Such a powerful tune, equally to "Power To The People". His haunting "Mother" gets me every time.

Lennon forever!

I would rank "Instant Karma" well above that 1971 single.

"Mother" is a stunning album track, and his MSG '72 performances are also superb.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:48 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Such a powerful tune, equally to "Power To The People". His haunting "Mother" gets me every time.

Lennon forever!

I would rank "Instant Karma" well above that 1971 single.

"Mother" is a stunning album track, and his MSG '72 performances are also superb.

Gotta admit I always preferred "Instant Karma". And yes, MSG was fabulous.

I still have my worn "Mother" single and I played the heck out of it. Is that Ringo playing these powerful drums?
The B-Side "Why?" by Yoko still give me the creeps after 30+ years... :shock:

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:20 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Gotta admit I always preferred "Instant Karma". And yes, MSG was fabulous.

I still have my worn "Mother" single and I played the heck out of it. Is that Ringo playing these powerful drums?
The B-Side "Why?" by Yoko still give me the creeps after 30+ years... :shock:

Yes, that is indeed Richard Starkey, MBE on drums. His work on the entire album is stellar. Klaus Voorman, who designed the Revolver album cover and knew them since meeting up in Germany back in the early sixties, plays bass.

Mother (John Lennon song)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_%28John_Lennon_song%29#Personnel