Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The "Annie" saga : dirty, dirty platters !!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:55 am

I was re-reading a thread from early this year about Elvis being banned from the airwaves in 1955 (viewtopic.php?t=75086&p=1132237#p1132237), and one of the titles included in that "dirty" list called my attention : "Annie Pulled A Hum-Bug" by The Midnighters.

Well, I knew The Midnighters were the originators of the so-called "Annie" saga, with "Work With Me Annie", and then following with "Annie Had A Baby" and "Annie's Aunt Fannie", but never heard about "Annie Pulled A Hum-Bug".

I made a quick search and found that it was not a record by The Midnighters, but by The Midnights, a totally different group :

phpBB [video]

This led me to think about another obscure record I heard years ago in a compilation :

"Annie's Answer", by the Al Smith Combo, vocals by Hazel McCollum and The El-Dorados (of "At My Front Door" fame) :

phpBB [video]

And here's two more :

"Annie Met Henry", by The Champions, and "Annie Kicked The Bucket", by The Nu-Tones (with bonus track - I couldn't find it on its own) :

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I'm sure there must be more records in this saga. Any additions ?

Thanks !!!
Last edited by Mister Moon on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The "Annie" saga : dirty, dirty platters !!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Well, I thought it would be OK to add to the thread the three Midnighters singles that started the ball rolling :

"Work With Me Annie", "Annie Had A Baby" and "Annie's Aunt Fannie".

Here they are, in all their rockin' glory, all three from 1954 -- "so good !!!" :

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:46 pm

And here's one more record to add to the list.

Despite what the video says, this one dates from (was released) late 1954, as were the rest of the records shown in this thread, except for the one by The Champions, which dates from mid 1955.

"My Name Ain't Annie", by Linda Hayes (uncredited vocal backing by The Platters, of "Only You" fame) :

phpBB [video]

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Here's a couple more :

"Mama Took The Baby", by Lena Gordon and Sax Kari, from late 1954 :

phpBB [video]

Stretching things a bit far, also "Little Annie", by Anna Belle Caesar with Lionel Hampton and his Orchestra, from 1960 :

phpBB [video]

There's a certain "Annie" song that cannot be found on YouTube, just excerpts here and there : "I'm The Father Of Annie's Baby", by Danny Taylor (Bruce Records, 1954). But it exists.

Note : with thanks for Choock5219 (http://www.youtube.com/user/Choock5219), who originally uploaded to YouTube four of the videos I've included so far in this thread.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:36 pm

And here's an "unlikely" one.

"Midnight Shift", by Buddy Holly. This was recorded in 1956, but not released until 1957 :

phpBB [video]

Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Does this one qualify as an "Annie - saga" song ?

I don't think so - but it sure is an "Annie" song !!!

Anyway, by the time this record was released, 1956, the name "Annie" had already become a household word in rock and roll.

Just think about the many other names they could have used...

Here's "Eat Your Heart Out Annie", by The Jodimars (ex-members of Bill Haley's Comets) :

phpBB [video]