Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Re: Dean Martin fans?

Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:43 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
greystoke wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
greystoke wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:As with Sinatra and, until recently, Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin's reprise years are always overlooked when it comes to compilations. The original albums were released as twofers from Collector's Choice a number of years ago. These are all deleted now, but they do turn up at reasonable prices second-hand on ebay and amazon from time to time. For example, this one is just $10 at the moment:

http://www.amazon.com/Country-Style-Martin-Rides-Again/dp/B00005REPN/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1380731200&sr=8-14&keywords=dean+martin+collector%27s+choice

The Bear Family sets are indeed lovely, but very expensive.

This compilation of country songs from the reprise period sells quite cheaply used as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Hurtin-Country-Songs-Dean-Martin/dp/B00000K4FZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380731305&sr=8-2&keywords=dean+martin+country

But one has to wonder just why a double or triple album of Martin's country material from the Reprise years has yet to emerge. The 3CD "Sings Country Favourites" from Europe somehow escaped about a decade ago, but avoid that because the sound quality is generally very poor.

I've never really thought that Sinatra's Reprise catalogue was overlooked with regards to compilations, simply that the Capitol releases have been of such a high quality and offer a great diversity of tracks. But there's been some fine Reprise sets, especially the 1997 disc, My Way: The Best of Frank Sinatra. Which charted longer than both The Beatles' No. 1 and E1 combined in the UK. You can throw in 2nd to None, too. But I agree that there's still a lot of scope for some interesting Dean Martin compilations. Especially when taking into account his splendid country recordings. He was a hugely talented singer and it's great that he's still so well regarded.

Yes, that set was rather good, although I thought the sound was thin - but the range of tracks was very good, and it was arguably a "best of" rather than simply a greatest hits, which is rather nice. But, for example, while we have had collections of the Capitol singles etc, there has been no similar release for Reprise, meaning some wonderful recordings have been unavailable on CD, other than in the big 20 CD set. Indeed, a three-disc set pulling together the forgotten tracks from that box that have not been included in the recent original album reissues would be most welcome.

One of the best Sinatra songs from the late 60's is one called Cycles. I have the Reprise multi-disc comp set but it is not on there. Is it on any of the compilations? Anyone know? I think it was even the title of one of his LPs. Its a great song and I am surprised I have not seen it on a 'Best Of' comp.

You'll find Cycles on a splendid two-disc compilation called A Fine Romance: The Love Songs of Frank Sinatra. This was the title track from the very good 1968 album, Cycles. Which was mostly a collection of folk and country inspired songs, including Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now, Moody River, Little Green Apples, Gentle On My Mind and By the Time I Get to Phoenix. Frank's version of By the Time I Get to Phoenix is among the best recordings of this song, whilst his recording of Gentle On My Mind is excellent. Little Green Apples is another gem. But I prefer Crosby's more subtle Both Sides Now. Sinatra's is a bit of a romp. But good, all the same. There's some good dramatic stuff on there, too, like Rain in My Heart and My Way of Life. Although neither are top-drawer material. But the title track is another gem.

Oddly, Cycles was the first Sinatra album I bought. I notice Friedwald doesn't like it much, but I've always enjoyed it - although I' don't like Sinatra's Gentle on my Mind much. Little Green Apples is simply wonderful, and shows Sinatra as the wonderful reader of lyrics that he was. It's a stunning track, often overlooked because of the soft-rock genre rather than performance quality. I admit I like the two dramatic numbers too, although both seem more suited to Shirley Bassey than Sinatra (I think she recorded My Way of Life, too). There were some nice live versions of Cycles from Sinatra in the mid-70s too.

Sinatra's late 60s material is overlooked as commercial, and that's partly true, but there are some real gems for anyone with the patience to work their way through studio albums such as My Way, Cycles, The World we Knew, and especially A Man Alone and Watertown. The first three albums I mention are uneven, but there is some stunning work on individual tracks. The same is true for the singles from the period. That most of the world has never heard a recording such as Sinatra's I'm Not Afraid is almost criminal - the performance is brave indeed, mixing the wonderful new English lyrics of Jacques Brel's song with a truly brilliant arrangement by Lennie Heyton, I think, in which it almost turns midway into Ravel's la Valse. One can only wonder what Sinatra would have been able to do with Neil Sedaka's One More Ride on the Merry-Go-Round, written at the same time.

One particularly outstanding compilation of Reprise material that never really made commercial in-roads, is the 1996 retrospective, Everything Happens to Me. This is still one of my all-time favourite compilations, whilst a personal touch, courtesy Sinatra's own liner notes, says a lot with relatively few words. Tina Sinatra's notes on how she and Frank came to select the nineteen excellent tracks is also nice. And with the bonus of an unreleased version of Everything Happens to Me, from the She Shot Me Down sessions, this introspective volume wins in every area. Especially with the big hits ignored in favour of Sinatra's extraordinary medley of The Gal That Got Away/It Never Entered My Mind, Jimmy Webb's Didn't We, Once Upon a Time, If You Go Away and his underrated version of Yesterday. The specially commissioned artwork is also worth mentioning, keeping in tune with Sinatra's numerous picaresque album covers.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:20 am

greystoke wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
greystoke wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
greystoke wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:As with Sinatra and, until recently, Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin's reprise years are always overlooked when it comes to compilations. The original albums were released as twofers from Collector's Choice a number of years ago. These are all deleted now, but they do turn up at reasonable prices second-hand on ebay and amazon from time to time. For example, this one is just $10 at the moment:

http://www.amazon.com/Country-Style-Martin-Rides-Again/dp/B00005REPN/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1380731200&sr=8-14&keywords=dean+martin+collector%27s+choice

The Bear Family sets are indeed lovely, but very expensive.

This compilation of country songs from the reprise period sells quite cheaply used as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Hurtin-Country-Songs-Dean-Martin/dp/B00000K4FZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380731305&sr=8-2&keywords=dean+martin+country

But one has to wonder just why a double or triple album of Martin's country material from the Reprise years has yet to emerge. The 3CD "Sings Country Favourites" from Europe somehow escaped about a decade ago, but avoid that because the sound quality is generally very poor.

I've never really thought that Sinatra's Reprise catalogue was overlooked with regards to compilations, simply that the Capitol releases have been of such a high quality and offer a great diversity of tracks. But there's been some fine Reprise sets, especially the 1997 disc, My Way: The Best of Frank Sinatra. Which charted longer than both The Beatles' No. 1 and E1 combined in the UK. You can throw in 2nd to None, too. But I agree that there's still a lot of scope for some interesting Dean Martin compilations. Especially when taking into account his splendid country recordings. He was a hugely talented singer and it's great that he's still so well regarded.

Yes, that set was rather good, although I thought the sound was thin - but the range of tracks was very good, and it was arguably a "best of" rather than simply a greatest hits, which is rather nice. But, for example, while we have had collections of the Capitol singles etc, there has been no similar release for Reprise, meaning some wonderful recordings have been unavailable on CD, other than in the big 20 CD set. Indeed, a three-disc set pulling together the forgotten tracks from that box that have not been included in the recent original album reissues would be most welcome.

One of the best Sinatra songs from the late 60's is one called Cycles. I have the Reprise multi-disc comp set but it is not on there. Is it on any of the compilations? Anyone know? I think it was even the title of one of his LPs. Its a great song and I am surprised I have not seen it on a 'Best Of' comp.

You'll find Cycles on a splendid two-disc compilation called A Fine Romance: The Love Songs of Frank Sinatra. This was the title track from the very good 1968 album, Cycles. Which was mostly a collection of folk and country inspired songs, including Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now, Moody River, Little Green Apples, Gentle On My Mind and By the Time I Get to Phoenix. Frank's version of By the Time I Get to Phoenix is among the best recordings of this song, whilst his recording of Gentle On My Mind is excellent. Little Green Apples is another gem. But I prefer Crosby's more subtle Both Sides Now. Sinatra's is a bit of a romp. But good, all the same. There's some good dramatic stuff on there, too, like Rain in My Heart and My Way of Life. Although neither are top-drawer material. But the title track is another gem.

Oddly, Cycles was the first Sinatra album I bought. I notice Friedwald doesn't like it much, but I've always enjoyed it - although I' don't like Sinatra's Gentle on my Mind much. Little Green Apples is simply wonderful, and shows Sinatra as the wonderful reader of lyrics that he was. It's a stunning track, often overlooked because of the soft-rock genre rather than performance quality. I admit I like the two dramatic numbers too, although both seem more suited to Shirley Bassey than Sinatra (I think she recorded My Way of Life, too). There were some nice live versions of Cycles from Sinatra in the mid-70s too.

Sinatra's late 60s material is overlooked as commercial, and that's partly true, but there are some real gems for anyone with the patience to work their way through studio albums such as My Way, Cycles, The World we Knew, and especially A Man Alone and Watertown. The first three albums I mention are uneven, but there is some stunning work on individual tracks. The same is true for the singles from the period. That most of the world has never heard a recording such as Sinatra's I'm Not Afraid is almost criminal - the performance is brave indeed, mixing the wonderful new English lyrics of Jacques Brel's song with a truly brilliant arrangement by Lennie Heyton, I think, in which it almost turns midway into Ravel's la Valse. One can only wonder what Sinatra would have been able to do with Neil Sedaka's One More Ride on the Merry-Go-Round, written at the same time.

One particularly outstanding compilation of Reprise material that never really made commercial in-roads, is the 1996 retrospective, Everything Happens to Me. This is still one of my all-time favourite compilations, whilst a personal touch, courtesy Sinatra's own liner notes, says a lot with relatively few words. Tina Sinatra's notes on how she and Frank came to select the nineteen excellent tracks is also nice. And with the bonus of an unreleased version of Everything Happens to Me, from the She Shot Me Down sessions, this introspective volume wins in every area. Especially with the big hits ignored in favour of Sinatra's extraordinary medley of The Gal That Got Away/It Never Entered My Mind, Jimmy Webb's Didn't We, Once Upon a Time, If You Go Away and his underrated version of Yesterday. The specially commissioned artwork is also worth mentioning, keeping in tune with Sinatra's numerous picaresque album covers.

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. It certainly bucked the trend of greatest hits efforts - if only those doing Elvis compilations had as much imagination.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:32 am

Do any alternate takes exist from Dean's Captiol years with studio chat on cd?

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:19 am

ritchie valens wrote:Do any alternate takes exist from Dean's Captiol years with studio chat on cd?

No, not one.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ritchie valens wrote:Do any alternate takes exist from Dean's Captiol years with studio chat on cd?

No, not one.

Alternatively, you could try Forever Cool, from 2007. Sadly it's a CD of fake duets with Dino, but some studio chatter from the original sessions is included, as heard here:

http://www.last.fm/music/Dean+Martin/Forever+Cool

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:14 am

If you like Dean Martin go for the Bear Family box sets. If you start going for other CDs you'll eventually want more, so better to go for the sets right away. Amazing stuff and top notch sound.

In the meantime, grab a copy of the hybrid SACD "this time I'm swingin "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:17 am

Speaking of Dean.....here's one of my favorite Christmas songs he ever did, from 1966 called "Marshmallow World". Ironically and sadly he died on Christmas Day, 1995.

phpBB [video]

Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:28 pm

One of my favorite albums…

phpBB [video]

Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:50 am

R.I.P. Dean - already eighteen years ago today. :cry:

Still recall when the german TV version of the Beatles anthology aired on this day on german television and right before they brought it in the news that Dino had died.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:58 pm

Dean is one of my favourite singers. Got the 'Lay Some Happiness On Me' Bear Family box set and quite a few other releases, including several of the -now deleted- Dean Martin on Reprise cds by Collector's Choice. I love his way of singing, he was able to make it seem so easy to sing like the way he did.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:59 pm

I just picked up in oct some near mint unused unplayed stock copy eps with the ps.The sound on those 45s sound great to be 60+ yr old sources.
Im amazed there is no MFSL or audio phile releases on cd or vinyl yet?

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:28 am

ritchie valens wrote:I just picked up in oct some near mint unused unplayed stock copy eps with the ps.The sound on those 45s sound great to be 60+ yr old sources.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-120700-dea ... -sacd.aspx

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:30 pm

frus75 wrote:
ritchie valens wrote:I just picked up in oct some near mint unused unplayed stock copy eps with the ps.The sound on those 45s sound great to be 60+ yr old sources.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-120700-dea ... -sacd.aspx

For once the EMI twofer release of that album here in the UK was disappointing in that it was inexplicably in mono - no idea how or why that happened. The rest of that extended series didn't have that issue. But I agree that the original releases sounded gorgeous - I had an EP with songs from Swingin' Down Yonder and that packed quite a punch, for sure. It's interesting looking at the allmusic reviews for Dino's catalogue by the way. The rating suggest that the reviewer was not a fan!