Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Dean Martin fans?

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:54 am

Hi all

Other than Elvis, Im also a massive Dean Martin fan and only have a few cds, best ofs really.

I really like the 'reprise' years, anyone recommend any albums/compilations?

Thanks

Re: Dean Martin fans?

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Yeah! I always preferred Dean over Frank.

I HIGHLY recommend these beauties - they're expensive but that's basicially all you need from Dino:

http://www.bear-family.de/nach-marke-he ... -book.html

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:24 pm

trouble_jw wrote:Hi all

Other than Elvis, Im also a massive Dean Martin fan and only have a few cds, best ofs really.

I really like the 'reprise' years, anyone recommend any albums/compilations?

Thanks

Dean Martin was a great singer, and proved to be a great straight man (to Jerry Lewis) and a terrific actor.

I really like his work at Capitol in the 1950s:

Dean Martin Discography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Martin_discography

However, there are some much more knowledgeable Martin fans on FECC, like the aptly-named HoneyTalkNelson -- hopefully they can point the way to some superb collections, in terms of audio and selections.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:23 pm

I'm way out of the loop on what's been done on CD in the last two decades.

However, I heartily recommend THE CAPITOL YEARS and THE CAPITOL COLLECTORS SERIES. The producer really knew his stuff. :wink:

I spent time with Dean on a number of occasions. He was great!

Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:39 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I spent time with Dean on a number of occasions. He was great!

I love this.

I love that people on this board really know their stuff and have walked the walk and talked the talk.

And Elvis loved Dino very, very much ...

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:27 am

LOL!

I never met Elvis but I was about 20 feet from him on a New York night in June 1972.

But I was in Graceland before it was open to the public. Does that count? :wink:

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:37 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:LOL!

I never met Elvis but I was about 20 feet from him on a New York night in June 1972.

But I was in Graceland before it was open to the public. Does that count? :wink:

That's close enough for me.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Wow, great info and stories guys. Would have loved to have met both Elvis and Dean. Both heroes of mine!

I'll check out the recommendations.

Luckyjackson, Just looked at the box sets. They look great! A bit pricey for me though :(

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:53 pm

trouble_jw wrote:Wow, great info and stories guys. Would have loved to have met both Elvis and Dean. Both heroes of mine!

I'll check out the recommendations.

Luckyjackson, Just looked at the box sets. They look great! A bit pricey for me though :(

Yes, they are. But they're worth it. I gotta admit I only had the "Memories Are Made Of This" box set but had to sell it years back. :cry:

Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:09 pm

Dino was da man.

I have one of the Bear sets (62 - 66) and it's something of a guilty pleasure.

(sighs) the days of being able to blow my wages on a £150 box set. :lol:

My girlfriend would kill me!

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Is the song Sailors polka from the movie Sailor beware on any cd?

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:24 am

There are a few CDs of Dino live at the Sands,including one with a weird cover photo of the Venetian?

Anyway, these are great because they showcase Dino's wonderful voice, but also his great comedic talent.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:30 pm

As with Sinatra and, until recently, Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin's reprise years are always overlooked when it comes to compilations. The original albums were released as twofers from Collector's Choice a number of years ago. These are all deleted now, but they do turn up at reasonable prices second-hand on ebay and amazon from time to time. For example, this one is just $10 at the moment:

http://www.amazon.com/Country-Style-Martin-Rides-Again/dp/B00005REPN/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1380731200&sr=8-14&keywords=dean+martin+collector%27s+choice

The Bear Family sets are indeed lovely, but very expensive.

This compilation of country songs from the reprise period sells quite cheaply used as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Hurtin-Country-Songs-Dean-Martin/dp/B00000K4FZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380731305&sr=8-2&keywords=dean+martin+country

But one has to wonder just why a double or triple album of Martin's country material from the Reprise years has yet to emerge. The 3CD "Sings Country Favourites" from Europe somehow escaped about a decade ago, but avoid that because the sound quality is generally very poor.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:56 pm

The Capitol Collectors Series for a single CD of his great Captiol recordings. It wont break the bank, and since you have Reprise collections, this would be a great mate. Love Dino!

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Just been watching some youtube clips from the Dean Martin Show and that well known gig compered by Johnny Carson from '65.

Great stuff. Entertainment!

I know a lot of his gags and patter were scripted but, man, was he funny, charming and cool.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Great topic! For me it was Dean Martin before Elvis. Raised in an Italian family so no way around it :)
But when I was a teenager and found out Elvis was a Dean fan, I was hooked on Elvis too.
Deans daughter Deana is out there doing her thing. Quite a talented performer herself.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:06 pm

I'm not a massive fan, but I really dig Dean Martin! I have some "Best of's" and a tripple, budget: "Dean Sings Country Favourites". I can easily hear why Elvis digged him too! :)

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:21 pm

I like the Stereo mix of Return to me on the Captiol years 2 cd set.I think this was the 1st stereo mix of it on cd?

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:00 pm

poormadpeter wrote:As with Sinatra and, until recently, Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin's reprise years are always overlooked when it comes to compilations. The original albums were released as twofers from Collector's Choice a number of years ago. These are all deleted now, but they do turn up at reasonable prices second-hand on ebay and amazon from time to time. For example, this one is just $10 at the moment:

http://www.amazon.com/Country-Style-Martin-Rides-Again/dp/B00005REPN/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1380731200&sr=8-14&keywords=dean+martin+collector%27s+choice

This compilation of country songs from the reprise period sells quite cheaply used as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Hurtin-Country-Songs-Dean-Martin/dp/B00000K4FZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380731305&sr=8-2&keywords=dean+martin+country

But one has to wonder just why a double or triple album of Martin's country material from the Reprise years has yet to emerge. The 3CD "Sings Country Favourites" from Europe somehow escaped about a decade ago, but avoid that because the sound quality is generally very poor.

I've never really thought that Sinatra's Reprise catalogue was overlooked with regards to compilations, simply that the Capitol releases have been of such a high quality and offer a great diversity of tracks. But there's been some fine Reprise sets, especially the 1997 disc, My Way: The Best of Frank Sinatra. Which charted longer than both The Beatles' No. 1 and E1 combined in the UK. You can throw in 2nd to None, too. But I agree that there's still a lot of scope for some interesting Dean Martin compilations. Especially when taking into account his splendid country recordings. He was a hugely talented singer and it's great that he's still so well regarded.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:55 am

greystoke wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:As with Sinatra and, until recently, Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin's reprise years are always overlooked when it comes to compilations. The original albums were released as twofers from Collector's Choice a number of years ago. These are all deleted now, but they do turn up at reasonable prices second-hand on ebay and amazon from time to time. For example, this one is just $10 at the moment:

I've never really thought that Sinatra's Reprise catalogue was overlooked with regards to compilations, simply that the Capitol releases have been of such a high quality and offer a great diversity of tracks. But there's been some fine Reprise sets, especially the 1997 disc, My Way: The Best of Frank Sinatra. Which charted longer than both The Beatles' No. 1 and E1 combined in the UK. You can throw in 2nd to None, too. But I agree that there's still a lot of scope for some interesting Dean Martin compilations. Especially when taking into account his splendid country recordings. He was a hugely talented singer and it's great that he's still so well regarded.

Yes, that set was rather good, although I thought the sound was thin - but the range of tracks was very good, and it was arguably a "best of" rather than simply a greatest hits, which is rather nice. But, for example, while we have had collections of the Capitol singles etc, there has been no similar release for Reprise, meaning some wonderful recordings have been unavailable on CD, other than in the big 20 CD set. Indeed, a three-disc set pulling together the forgotten tracks from that box that have not been included in the recent original album reissues would be most welcome.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:17 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
greystoke wrote:

Yes, that set was rather good, although I thought the sound was thin - but the range of tracks was very good, and it was arguably a "best of" rather than simply a greatest hits, which is rather nice. But, for example, while we have had collections of the Capitol singles etc, there has been no similar release for Reprise, meaning some wonderful recordings have been unavailable on CD, other than in the big 20 CD set. Indeed, a three-disc set pulling together the forgotten tracks from that box that have not been included in the recent original album reissues would be most welcome.

One of the best Sinatra songs from the late 60's is one called Cycles. I have the Reprise multi-disc comp set but it is not on there. Is it on any of the compilations? Anyone know? I think it was even the title of one of his LPs. Its a great song and I am surprised I have not seen it on a 'Best Of' comp.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:12 pm

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
greystoke wrote:

One of the best Sinatra songs from the late 60's is one called Cycles. I have the Reprise multi-disc comp set but it is not on there. Is it on any of the compilations? Anyone know? I think it was even the title of one of his LPs. Its a great song and I am surprised I have not seen it on a 'Best Of' comp.

You'll find Cycles on a splendid two-disc compilation called A Fine Romance: The Love Songs of Frank Sinatra. This was the title track from the very good 1968 album, Cycles. Which was mostly a collection of folk and country inspired songs, including Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now, Moody River, Little Green Apples, Gentle On My Mind and By the Time I Get to Phoenix. Frank's version of By the Time I Get to Phoenix is among the best recordings of this song, whilst his recording of Gentle On My Mind is excellent. Little Green Apples is another gem. But I prefer Crosby's more subtle Both Sides Now. Sinatra's is a bit of a romp. But good, all the same. There's some good dramatic stuff on there, too, like Rain in My Heart and My Way of Life. Although neither are top-drawer material. But the title track is another gem.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:19 pm

greystoke wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
greystoke wrote:

You'll find Cycles on a splendid two-disc compilation called A Fine Romance: The Love Songs of Frank Sinatra. This was the title track from the very good 1968 album, Cycles. Which was mostly a collection of folk and country inspired songs, including Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now, Moody River, Little Green Apples, Gentle On My Mind and By the Time I Get to Phoenix. Frank's version of By the Time I Get to Phoenix is among the best recordings of this song, whilst his recording of Gentle On My Mind is excellent. Little Green Apples is another gem. But I prefer Crosby's more subtle Both Sides Now. Sinatra's is a bit of a romp. But good, all the same. There's some good dramatic stuff on there, too, like Rain in My Heart and My Way of Life. Although neither are top-drawer material. But the title track is another gem.

Thanks, will look for it!

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:19 am

greystoke wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
greystoke wrote:

Oddly, Cycles was the first Sinatra album I bought. I notice Friedwald doesn't like it much, but I've always enjoyed it - although I' don't like Sinatra's Gentle on my Mind much. Little Green Apples is simply wonderful, and shows Sinatra as the wonderful reader of lyrics that he was. It's a stunning track, often overlooked because of the soft-rock genre rather than performance quality. I admit I like the two dramatic numbers too, although both seem more suited to Shirley Bassey than Sinatra (I think she recorded My Way of Life, too). There were some nice live versions of Cycles from Sinatra in the mid-70s too.

Sinatra's late 60s material is overlooked as commercial, and that's partly true, but there are some real gems for anyone with the patience to work their way through studio albums such as My Way, Cycles, The World we Knew, and especially A Man Alone and Watertown. The first three albums I mention are uneven, but there is some stunning work on individual tracks. The same is true for the singles from the period. That most of the world has never heard a recording such as Sinatra's I'm Not Afraid is almost criminal - the performance is brave indeed, mixing the wonderful new English lyrics of Jacques Brel's song with a truly brilliant arrangement by Lennie Heyton, I think, in which it almost turns midway into Ravel's la Valse. One can only wonder what Sinatra would have been able to do with Neil Sedaka's One More Ride on the Merry-Go-Round, written at the same time.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:46 am

r&b wrote: One of the best Sinatra songs from the late 60's is one called Cycles. I have the Reprise multi-disc comp set but it is not on there. Is it on any of the compilations? Anyone know? I think it was even the title of one of his LPs. Its a great song and I am surprised I have not seen it on a 'Best Of' comp.

My personal Sinatra favorite rarely gets an outing. So now seems as good a time as any.

From his early period (more info would just detract from the music). Suffice to say, phrasing and breath control perfection.

Beautiful song, beautifully sung. Enjoy:
phpBB [video]