New Springsteen 'Follow That Dream'

Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator2, londonflash

New Springsteen 'Follow That Dream'

Postby ChrisM » Wed May 01, 2013 1:39 am

Bruce Springsteen included a rare performance of his reworked Follow That Dream during his first show in Europe this year. Here is a clip of this brand new arrangement. The video quality is poor, but the audio is pretty good:

phpBB [video]

Here is 12 minutes of pro shot clips from the same show in Oslo yesterday, including Steve Van Zandt's Lilyhammer opening in full:

phpBB [video]

Chris
The poets down here don't write nothing at all, they just stand back and let it all be.
ChrisM

Topic author

Re: New Springsteen 'Follow That Dream'

Postby rjm » Wed May 01, 2013 7:25 am

Thank you very much.

Interesting that he finds the "messages" inside the Elvis songs that are NOT "message songs," but to my own knowledge, has never done one of Elvis' "REAL" message songs. I don't know of him doing "If I Can Dream," or "In The Ghetto," or "Clean Up Your Own Backyard" - to name just those three obvious ones. I guess his rewritten Chuck Berry song, "Bye Bye Johnny" is his way of doing "Long Black Limousine," which Peter Guralnick originally called "a vehicle for savage social protest." Which it is. But Bruce does his own thing with the songs he chooses, and teases out meanings many didn't know were there.

Fascinating.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong about the "real" message songs, but I don't know of him doing any of them.)

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Postby ChrisM » Thu May 02, 2013 12:28 am

Although Springsteen has performed many Elvis covers over the years, I can't think of any that would be considered a "message" song. That is perhaps not surprising, since Elvis's "message" songs represent a very small and relatively obscure portion of his catalog.

Springsteen has covered a few "message" songs by other artists. Blowin' in the Wind and War come to mind.

Chris
The poets down here don't write nothing at all, they just stand back and let it all be.
ChrisM

Topic author

Postby Steelback » Fri May 03, 2013 7:19 am

ChrisM wrote:
Springsteen has covered a few "message" songs by other artists. Blowin' in the Wind and War come to mind.

Chris

"This Land is Your Land" and "Chimes of Freedom" are two more notable examples.
Steelback

Postby rjm » Sun May 05, 2013 1:29 pm

ChrisM wrote:Although Springsteen has performed many Elvis covers over the years, I can't think of any that would be considered a "message" song. That is perhaps not surprising, since Elvis's "message" songs represent a very small and relatively obscure portion of his catalog.

Chris

Well, actor Martin Sheen is a big 50s fan of Elvis, and his favorite song is "In The Ghetto."

I cannot imagine Bruce is not familiar with either that or "If I Can Dream." George Harrison liked "Clean Up Your Own Backyard." Which is obscure. The others are not obscure.

Well, I like what he does with the ones he has chosen. I think it's his choice, to find deeper meanings in more "typical" rock and roll. Rather than doing something less creative with those obvious ones.

rjm (I wonder if he would ever do a request of "If I Can Dream"? He loves singing about dreams. Hmmmmmm.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Postby ChrisM » Sun May 19, 2013 2:17 am

Here's another clip of the same performance, this time with great screen-shot video:

phpBB [video]

Chris
ChrisM

Topic author

Postby EvilRev » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:32 am

Springsteen leads a cult of bigoted, hatfuld & intolerant followers.
EvilRev

Return to Classic Artists