Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator2, londonflash

Madonna - Truth or Dare premiere ;-)

Postby elvisalisellers » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:32 am

Bad ass and smokin' hot with it!

phpBB [video]

Cue the haters... :D
elvisalisellers

Re: Madonna - Truth or Dare premiere ;-)

Postby rjm » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:11 am

Very Goth-looking, ya think? She was on top of the world right then . . .

rjm
"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Postby Snake Eyes » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 pm

I'm not a hater, but she just got very boring very quickly. I still rate the first album though.
Snake Eyes

Postby Bodie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 pm

Made a few decent songs but very overrated singer IMO.

Had a certain sex appeal in the 80's and used it well to promote herself.

She likes Elvis and quoted as saying one of her favourite songs is 'Heartbreak Hotel'.
Bodie

Postby Tony.. » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Yes, nothing special about her voice or material. Uses sex to shock and to get publcity..
Here she is in a few years time;
MADGE.jpg

LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony..

Postby elvisalisellers » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:28 am

rjm wrote:Very Goth-looking, ya think? She was on top of the world right then . . .

I wouldn't say Goth exactly, but she does suit that hard-edged - fairly short-lived - darker look.

She was on top then ['89 - 2 years previous - was possibly Madonna's peak year]; although the inevitable meltdown happened not too long after Truth or Dare; before her resurgence in '98 with the brilliant Ray of Light album.

phpBB [video]

"The best rock documentary since Don't Look Back" - Tim Robbins

phpBB [video]

I like Kurt Loder.
From what I've seen from numerous vintage interviews, he is always very fair - though never easy - with Madonna [almost like an Ali-Cosell type of kindredship, if you will :)].
From very early on, he was one of the first reporters to recognize her talent and the massive impact she was making on popular culture.

Snake Eyes wrote:I'm not a hater, but she just got very boring very quickly.

Bodie wrote:Made a few decent songs but very overrated singer IMO.

Tony.. wrote:Yes, nothing special about her voice or material.

A triple whammy of expert critiquing. Whoo-hoo!
Last edited by elvisalisellers on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
elvisalisellers

Postby Bodie » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:30 am

It was just my opinion as i pointed out with IMO, and quite justified i thought.

The 80's were her best decade where she hit her peak with her sex appeal and music then she lost it in the 90's and never really got it back.

Don't you agree?
Bodie

Postby elvisalisellers » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:40 am

Bodie wrote:It was just my opinion as i pointed out with IMO, and quite justified i thought.

The 80's were her best decade where she hit her peak with her sex appeal and music then she lost it in the 90's and never really got it back.

Don't you agree?

Takes Madonna's name out of the equation, and you sound exactly like the archetypal, ignorant Elvis critic.

Don't you agree?
elvisalisellers

Postby Bodie » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:53 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
Bodie wrote:It was just my opinion as i pointed out with IMO, and quite justified i thought.

Don't you agree?

Takes Madonna's name out of the equation, and you sound exactly like the archetypal, ignorant Elvis critic.

Don't you agree?

Not really.

Elvis hit his peak around 68-72. Twelve years before he took the world by storm in the mid-50's.

Madonna hit her peak in the 80's and never got it back.
Bodie

Postby elvisalisellers » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 am

Bodie wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

Don't you agree?

Don't you agree?

Not really.

Elvis hit his peak around 68-72. Twelve years before he took the world by storm in the mid-50's.

If you say so, Robert Hilburn.
elvisalisellers

Postby keninlincs » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:11 am

Here is my view on Madonna,,,
Looked Good, Sold well, Made some fine pop tunes and did some great gig!.Good enough for me
-
keninlincs

Postby Bodie » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:48 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
Bodie wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

Don't you agree?

Don't you agree?

Not really.

If you say so, Robert Hilburn.

Glad you agree with me but i'm not Robert Hilburn, my username is Bodie :lol:
Bodie

Postby Snake Eyes » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:15 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
rjm wrote:Very Goth-looking, ya think? She was on top of the world right then . . .

I wouldn't say Goth exactly, but she does suit that hard-edged - fairly short-lived - darker look.

She was on top then ['89 - 2 years previous - was possibly Madonna's peak year]; although the inevitable meltdown happened not too long after Truth or Dare; before her resurgence in '98 with the brilliant Ray of Light album.

phpBB [video]

"The best rock documentary since Don't Look Back" - Tim Robbins

phpBB [video]

I like Kurt Loder.
From what I've seen from numerous vintage interviews, he is always very fair - though never easy - with Madonna [almost like an Ali-Cosell type of kindredship, if you will :)].
From very early on, he was one of the first reporters to recognize her talent and the massive impact she was making on popular culture.

Snake Eyes wrote:I'm not a hater, but she just got very boring very quickly.

Bodie wrote:Made a few decent songs but very overrated singer IMO.

Tony.. wrote:Yes, nothing special about her voice or material.

A triple whammy of expert critiquing. Whoo-hoo!

I used to absolutely adore Madonna, listened to her obsessively and my entire room was covered with her image. I will always prefer her music and image from the early years, just my preference. I actually searched for many years for a particular poster I used to own which was taken from the Healthy series of shots. You may even own it or know it yourself. The poster was made to look painted. Like I say, I'm not a hater, but she doesn't hold my attention the way she used to when I was 8. That said, I still tear the arse out of The Virgin Tour.
Snake Eyes

Postby elvisalisellers » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:34 pm

keninlincs wrote:Here is my view on Madonna,,,
Looked Good, Sold well, Made some fine pop tunes and did some great gig!.Good enough for me

Right on, Ken.

Bodie wrote:Glad you agree with me....

The day I agree with you, is the day Mike Tyson is regarded as the greatest heavyweight boxer of all time.

Never going to happen.
elvisalisellers

Postby Bodie » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:10 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Here is my view on Madonna,,,

Right on, Ken.

Bodie wrote:Glad you agree with me....

The day I agree with you, is the day Mike Tyson is regarded as the greatest heavyweight boxer of all time.

Never going to happen.

I've never claimed Mike Tyson is regarded as the greatest Heavyweight boxer of all time and i never would.

That title belongs to Joe Louis who had a record of 25 successful defences of the World Title :)
Bodie

Postby elvisalisellers » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Snake Eyes wrote:I used to absolutely adore Madonna, listened to her obsessively and my entire room was covered with her image. I will always prefer her music and image from the early years, just my preference. I actually searched for many years for a particular poster I used to own which was taken from the Healthy series of shots. You may even own it or know it yourself. The poster was made to look painted. Like I say, I'm not a hater, but she doesn't hold my attention the way she used to when I was 8. That said, I still tear the arse out of The Virgin Tour.

Good enough.

Re. the "Healthy" poster.
Was it one of the 3 shots below?

Mad-Healthy.jpg
570xN.302746681.jpg
mad1.jpg

This shot [used for the cover of Penthouse in 1985] remains my personal favourite from that classic photo shoot.
No one looked better in the 80s.

penthouse-madonna-1985-uncropped.jpg

phpBB [video]

More "Healthy" goodness...
Terrible picture quality, but exuding a sexual brazenness and effortless coolness, not seen since a certain Elvis Presley.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elvisalisellers

Postby Xaykev » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:07 pm

I can't stand her. Sorry. I don't think she is sexy at all. She is just cheap.
I miss you, Elvis!
Xaykev

Postby TCB-FAN » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:40 am

Xaykev wrote:I can't stand her. Sorry. I don't think she is sexy at all. She is just cheap.

I would'nt call her cheap, her net worth is estimated around $700 Million (USD)
"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970
TCB-FAN

Postby elvisalisellers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:12 am

The hate/dislike/ridicule - call it what you will - for Madonna, is very sad indeed.
The irony, of course, is that the haters appear not to have one iota of an idea of how acutely similar the parallels are between her and Elvis Presley.
Furthermore, that someone of her extraordinary success has spoken so highly of Elvis and his influence, further juxtaposes with their sorry misguided view of her.

Whilst promoting his book "Dead Elvis" over 20 years ago, respected author Greil Marcus summed things up perfectly, when stating "she's the only possible parallel" to Elvis' success.

Hear, hear.
elvisalisellers

Postby Bodie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:32 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:The hate/dislike/ridicule - call it what you will - for Madonna, is very sad indeed.
The irony, of course, is that the haters appear not to have one iota of an idea of how acutely similar the parallels are between her and Elvis Presley.
Furthermore, that someone of her extraordinary success has spoken so highly of Elvis and his influence, further juxtaposes with their sorry misguided view of her.

Whilst promoting his book "Dead Elvis" over 20 years ago, respected author Greil Marcus summed things up perfectly, when stating "she's the only possible parallel" to Elvis' success.

Hear, hear.

Whats sad is the fact you don't like it when someone disagrees with anything/anyone you like and then you stamp your feet and spit your dummy out and attack them for not thinking the same way you think.

It's just an opinion, thats all.

If everyone liked the same singer, sports team,moviestar, etc there would be no reason for progress.

You started this topic with the comment 'cue the haters', obviously wanting to start a verbal fight with other members.

You think Madonna is great, good for you.
Last edited by Bodie on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodie

Postby elvisalisellers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:24 pm

Bodie wrote:If everyone liked the same singer, sports team,moviestar, etc there would be reason for progress.

If you say so, Epicurus.
elvisalisellers

Postby keninlincs » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:34 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:The hate/dislike/ridicule - call it what you will - for Madonna, is very sad indeed.

Hear, hear.

Congratulations,brilliant post
-
keninlincs

Postby elvisalisellers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:56 pm

keninlincs wrote:

Hear, hear.

...brilliant post

Cheers, Ken. :D
elvisalisellers

Postby r&b » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:44 pm

I never got the appeal of this woman. I guess she is sexy to some. But as a singer? No. She & Cyndi Lauper came out around the same time in the 80's. Cyndi was a much better singer, a real talent vocally. I thought she would be the bigger star. Credit Madonna for knowing how to promote herself with her limited musical ability.
r&b

Postby elvisalisellers » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 pm

r&b wrote:I never got the appeal of this woman...

Some people don't get the appeal of Elvis or heaven forbid even Bruce Springsteen. :wink:
It takes all kinds.

Plus, if you had any semblance of knowledge about her career, you would know how absurd the notion of "her limited musical ability" actually is.

Anyway, you got thanked by Epicurus, so you should be chuffed.
elvisalisellers

Next

Return to Classic Artists