Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Patti Page, RIP

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:49 am

A lovely lady and a great talent. She was blessed with a beautiful voice and this is one of my favorites.

phpBB [video]

Here she is with Elvis at Paramount studios during production of KING CREOLE.

She said, “I always thought that Elvis could have been a great actor, and that he was put in a lot of unimportant movies when he could have done a lot of great ones.”

Here's the full interview: http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/intervi ... page.shtml

RIP, Ms. Page. Thank you for a lifetime of wonderful music.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Patti Page, RIP

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:36 pm

phpBB [video]

RIP Patti

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:59 pm

I always liked her version of that song. It was recorded in Nashville and released in July 1962 on "Golden Hits of the Boys."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:05 am

Another great singer that Elvis must have admired. Patti sure could interpret a lyric and communicate with her audience. Her phrasing and the purity of her voice are amazing.

phpBB [video]

A little bit country... yet so sophisticated...

Thanks for the links/posts in memory of Patti. May she rest in peace.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:57 am

Sad to hear of her passing. This one and the movie are my faves by her...

phpBB [video]

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:20 am

Wow, I've never heard that before. What a great song!

Thank you!

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Here's another Elvis song that Patti Page covered in 1964 (Love After Midnight album)

phpBB [video]

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:36 am

It's sad to see yet another great pass away. There really are not many left now. Doris Day, Vic Damone and Tony Bennett spring to mind, of course, but not many others.

Patti Page is one of those American singers who are, sadly, only known in the Uk through one or two songs. Likewise, her album catalogue never really has made it to CD in the UK in the same way as, for example, Doris Day, Rosemary Clooney or Julie London. This is our loss, and because of that I'm she has passed many of us relative youngsters by. She is very much in the mould of the singers I listen to away from Presley and yet I don't own a single CD by her. There are certainly compilations out there, but I've never been a compilation kind of guy, always preferring to collect albums rather than hodge-podges of bits and pieces - especially when the albums by these artists were often put together with such care and attention. It is such a shame that some singers just seem to pass below the radar when it comes to reissues and therefore get semi-forgotten; Jane Morgan is another great singer who has suffered a similar fate.

Despite all of this, one of my favorite songs of all time is the Tennessee Waltz, a really wonderful song and one that it is such a shame that Elvis didn't make a full-blown recording of. Page's version is sublime, and the song itself is truly beautiful and one that I generally turn to when I sit at the piano.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Patti sings her hit medley during a 1978 CBC TV special.........

phpBB [video]